The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Black Corporation Xerxes 8 Voice Poly Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 2nd September 2018
  #1
Gear Addict
 
Maffez's Avatar
Black Corporation Xerxes 8 Voice Poly

Black Corp just teased a new 8 Voice Poly - Elka Synthex style...

#xerxessynth hashtag on Instagram • Photos and Videos

MATRIXSYNTH: New ELKA Synthex Coming from Black Corporation - Meet the Xerxes 8 Voice Polyphonic Synthesizer
Old 2nd September 2018
  #2
Deleted User
Guest
Synth drool

That is a very nice design
Old 2nd September 2018
  #3
Old 2nd September 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 

That guy is not wasting any time. Props
Old 2nd September 2018
  #5
Deleted b6e9904
Guest
Looks great!
Old 2nd September 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 

So this was the next Black Corp module one of my insiders was hinting at...
Old 3rd September 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Pictus's Avatar
 

It will be the fattest
Old 3rd September 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 

When there's too much on your plate, THIS GUY ^ to the rescue!?
Old 3rd September 2018
  #9
Gear Addict
 
Maffez's Avatar
But can DCOs really sound "fat"? ... lol
Old 15th October 2018
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

Old 15th October 2018
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

DCO, ok. But is the chorus analog (like the Juno's) ?
Old 15th October 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
Come on then Pandomonium spill the beans.. how does it sound / how mature is the OS so far / why are you beta testing one (sound design/bug fixes/circuit tweak suggestions?) / can you give us any sound samples?
Old 15th October 2018
  #13
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
Come on then Pandomonium spill the beans.. how does it sound / how mature is the OS so far / why are you beta testing one (sound design/bug fixes/circuit tweak suggestions?) / can you give us any sound samples?
I'm honored to be part of the design team for this synth (voice circuits). It sounds amazing, and it's completely functional as it is right now, just needs a few tweaks and finer adjustments as part of the testing process. There will be some packaging changes (rack mountable 19" 4U, but only 45mm thick so it can also be used on a tabletop with wood sides and rack ears removed). Beyond that I can't give you more info or sound demos unless they are officially released.
Old 15th October 2018
  #14
Lives for gear
Interesting and congrats, sounds fun I guess it can't be using the DD method of plugging 9 cards into slots then, so it's a double sandwich with spacers or such?

I know Roman used the Kobol Expander to work from when designing Kijimi.. are you/he working from a real Synthex or just going by schematics? Planning to add your PWM sync mod to this one?
Old 15th October 2018
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
Interesting and congrats, sounds fun I guess it can't be using the DD method of plugging 9 cards into slots then, so it's a double sandwich with spacers or such? I know Roman used the Kobol Expander to work from when designing Kijimi.. are you/he working from a real Synthex or just going by schematics? Planning to add your PWM sync mod to this one?
Correct, on a prebuilt. DIY most likely uses cards though.

All methods were used during development. PWM sync is implemented as the two LFOs can be synced, and they can be applied to both osc PW together or independently (you can see it on the panel image that was released last month).
Old 15th October 2018
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Klonfocius's Avatar
 

Great, this one i can buy!
Old 15th October 2018
  #17
Gear Addict
 
Maffez's Avatar
I do like the design
Old 15th October 2018
  #18
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 

Just wanted to give a shout-out to the 19' format!

Looking good..
Old 15th October 2018
  #19
Gear Maniac
 

Pando : did you also try the Kijimi?
Old 16th October 2018
  #20
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sextuor View Post
Pando : did you also try the Kijimi?
Hopefully soon.
Old 16th October 2018
  #21
Gear Nut
 
pre55ure's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post

I know Roman used the Kobol Expander to work from when designing Kijimi.. are you/he working from a real Synthex or just going by schematics? Planning to add your PWM sync mod to this one?
Don't want to step on Pandomonium's toes here, but I know the guy who just bought Roman's Synthex... so I think you can make your own conclusion.

Old 16th October 2018
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
It will be the fattest
Be afraid....be VERY afraid!
Old 16th October 2018
  #23
Lives for gear
Old 16th October 2018
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Just wanted to give a shout-out to the 19' format!

Looking good..
That's the format for all Black Corp synths it seems. A stable base in a 19" housing with all the necessary basics for patch memory. You just need to add the voice cards and some front panel layout and you're almost done.

Played both Deckards and Kijimi and they are true analogue synths in their own right. The Xerxes will make a nice addition to the list. If I had to describe the Kijimi it would be that is made for making dark batman scores. Dark powerful and cone thumping low-end.

Their additions to the high-end analogue synth collection is quite exquisite.
Old 18th October 2018
  #25
Gear Addict
 
REwire's Avatar
It wouldn't take much tech retooling to go from the Xerxes to a Multimode Prophet-5 V3. Just put CEM 3340 chips in there instead of DCOs and that'd be a super killer synth.

Not that I won't get the Xerxes as-is if they at least get the chorus right.

I like Black Corps formatting too, can have a whole rack of vintage polys in one rack!

Dan
Old 18th October 2018
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandomonium View Post
I'm honored to be part of the design team for this synth (voice circuits). It sounds amazing, and it's completely functional as it is right now, just needs a few tweaks and finer adjustments as part of the testing process. There will be some packaging changes (rack mountable 19" 4U, but only 45mm thick so it can also be used on a tabletop with wood sides and rack ears removed). Beyond that I can't give you more info or sound demos unless they are officially released.
i understand you aren't at liberty to share too much info at this early stage, but gotta ask just in case you can answer this : if you can possibly tell us what is used for the multimode filters, standing in for the CEM3320?

possibly Alpha AS3320 ?



same question for BBDs?


of course i can imagine they're not orig TDA but it would be great if you to stayed away from the CoolAudio clone of low voltage MN32xx serie. they sound thin and lifeless. nothing like the original TDA chips, or the MN300x 15v serie of vintage Roland fame.


cheers
Old 18th October 2018
  #27
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
i understand you aren't at liberty to share too much info at this early stage, but gotta ask just in case you can answer this : if you can possibly tell us what is used for the multimode filters, standing in for the CEM3320?
Filters are based on 3320, chorus isn't yet locked down at this point. I'm sure more details will be revealed in the coming weeks, as I can only repeat what's already come out from other channels.
Old 19th October 2018
  #28
Deleted b6e9904
Guest
Does it have stereo output?

That (to me) is a huuuuge fail with black corporation’s other two synths. Polysynths with mono output. In 2018. What are they, short on jack sockets in their workshop or something?
Old 19th October 2018
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandomonium View Post
I'm honored to be part of the design team for this synth (voice circuits). It sounds amazing, and it's completely functional as it is right now, just needs a few tweaks and finer adjustments as part of the testing process. There will be some packaging changes (rack mountable 19" 4U, but only 45mm thick so it can also be used on a tabletop with wood sides and rack ears removed). Beyond that I can't give you more info or sound demos unless they are officially released.
In your opinion, how close to the original Synthex does it sound like? Although I do like the sound of the Deckards dream, to me it really doesn’t sound very close to the original CS80, so I’m hoping that this will sound closer to the real deal.
Old 20th October 2018
  #30
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
In your opinion, how close to the original Synthex does it sound like? Although I do like the sound of the Deckards dream, to me it really doesn’t sound very close to the original CS80, so I’m hoping that this will sound closer to the real deal.
It sounds very close to the original.

Significant effort was spent on making sure that changes to the overall oscillator design actually preserved *all* of its special sonic characteristics, as they define what made the original instrument's sound so unique. That said, it has several new features giving it a much wider timbral, tonal, and expressive range, some of which you can spot on the released panel image, something that the original never had or was impossible to achieve due to its architecture and limitations.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump