The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Black Corporation Xerxes 8 Voice Poly Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1st February 2019
  #121
Gear Addict
 
REwire's Avatar
Maybe Black Corp's ultimate poly is yet to come - Pairing Kijimi/Deckard oscs to the Xerxes Multi-filter. That would be better than the Moog One for sure.

The Xerxes as this point reminds me of my Juno-60 if it had a multi-filter and I'd buy that for sure!
Old 1st February 2019
  #122
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REwire View Post
Maybe Black Corp's ultimate poly is yet to come - Pairing Kijimi/Deckard oscs to the Xerxes Multi-filter. That would be better than the Moog One for sure.

The Xerxes as this point reminds me of my Juno-60 if it had a multi-filter and I'd buy that for sure!
Xerxes oscillators are far, far superior to Juno-60 and even K/DD. They can function just like the divide-down DCOs in Juno and Synthex (giving you those frequency/phase locked octaves and chords), but they can also be individually detuned (and microtuned) as VCOs in K/DD for those swimming warm chords and pads you can never get from a Juno or Synthex.

That NAMM demo actually shows very little of what Xerxes can really do, as it just focuses on these classic Synthex factory sounds. There is a lot left to demonstrate, but give it some time.
Old 1st February 2019
  #123
Gear Addict
 
REwire's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandomonium View Post
Xerxes oscillators are far, far superior to Juno-60 and even K/DD. They can function just like the divide-down DCOs in Juno and Synthex (giving you those frequency/phase locked octaves and chords), but they can also be individually detuned (and microtuned) as VCOs in K/DD for those swimming warm chords and pads you can never get from a Juno or Synthex.

That NAMM demo actually shows very little of what Xerxes can really do, as it just focuses on these classic Synthex factory sounds. There is a lot left to demonstrate, but give it some time.
Cool! I wasn't putting down the Xerxes, it's already on my want list. I have the Tubbutec mod for my 60 and it doubles, unisons and detunes the voices so I think the 60 oscs are amazing so this seems like the best of all worlds having more lively versatile oscs.
Old 1st February 2019
  #124
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REwire View Post
I have the Tubbutec mod for my 60 and it doubles, unisons and detunes the voices so I think the 60 oscs are amazing so this seems like the best of all worlds having more lively versatile oscs.
I looked that up, that's a great mod! X also has 4-oscillator double mode.
Old 17th February 2019
  #125
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
as for comparison to the original, what i am missing, at least judging this video example, is silk and typical eighties CEM sizzle in top end, as i've demonstrated here:

http://www.babic.com/SYN/SYNTHEX/SYN...ightyThree.mp3
@clusterchord Compare this one with yours please.

Old 17th February 2019
  #126
Gear Addict
 

Pandemonium I always like to hear about your research into oscs, I liked your post along the lines of DD sounding pretty much the same with your DCOs accommodating for playing etc.

(Please correct me if I'm paraphrasing wrong!)

I think there are still myths to be busted. DCOs are often there on synths designed more to a budget so I look forward to a synth exploiting them with different considerations. Maybe you'll change everyone's thinking

I'm really excited about xerxes.
Old 17th February 2019
  #127
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandomonium View Post
@clusterchord Compare this one with yours please.

oooof

sounds lovely
Old 17th February 2019
  #128
Lives for gear
Pandamonium- I think I met you at NAMM last month; I came by the booth twice (Thurs and Fri) and was very impressed by the Xerxes. You were apologizing for the prototype status, especially of the chorus, but I though it sounded great. I wish I hadn't been so focussed on the Moog One at the time! Posting to earn my participation status...
Old 17th February 2019
  #129
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
Pandemonium I always like to hear about your research into oscs, I liked your post along the lines of DD sounding pretty much the same with your DCOs accommodating for playing etc.

(Please correct me if I'm paraphrasing wrong!)

I think there are still myths to be busted. DCOs are often there on synths designed more to a budget so I look forward to a synth exploiting them with different considerations. Maybe you'll change everyone's thinking

I'm really excited about xerxes.
I think Xerxes will bust a lot of myths once you hear some better, focused demos (but it will take a bit of time). The oscillator is really a hybrid, combining the best features of other technologies, but without their limitations.

You can hear this a bit on the demo above (starting at 1:35) - perfectly smooth pitch bend on individual notes in a chord across the entire audio range (20kHz to practically zero Hz), without any audible aliasing. This can't be done on Synthex, other DCO-based synths with divide-down circuitry, or VCOs designed with 0-5 Volt (volt/octave) CV.
Old 17th February 2019
  #130
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzzz View Post
Pandamonium- I think I met you at NAMM last month; I came by the booth twice (Thurs and Fri) and was very impressed by the Xerxes. You were apologizing for the prototype status, especially of the chorus, but I though it sounded great. I wish I hadn't been so focussed on the Moog One at the time! Posting to earn my participation status...
It was good to meet you, thanks for stopping by at NAMM. I can't quite match your GS screen name to the people I met there but... hi!

Yeah the chorus was noisy, I wish that wasn't the case, partly the reason there aren't many demos out there yet. But the synth itself was 100% working as that was the priority.
Old 2nd March 2019
  #131
Here for the gear
 
SynthGuruWiffen's Avatar
Improved DCOs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandomonium View Post
I think Xerxes will bust a lot of myths once you hear some better, focused demos (but it will take a bit of time). The oscillator is really a hybrid, combining the best features of other technologies, but without their limitations.

You can hear this a bit on the demo above (starting at 1:35) - perfectly smooth pitch bend on individual notes in a chord across the entire audio range (20kHz to practically zero Hz), without any audible aliasing. This can't be done on Synthex, other DCO-based synths with divide-down circuitry, or VCOs designed with 0-5 Volt (volt/octave) CV.
This is the best news yet as I always had trouble with pitchbend on the Synthex (that crappy joystick which I begged Elka to replace for the 4 years I did demos for them, it broke off on one of my Synthexes and on the other it kept falling inside, once onstage with Stevie). Pitchbend never really worked properly via MIDI either so this wasn't a way around it.

I'm also looking forward to all the features the Synthex didn't have!

The other great news is a 19" rack shallow enough to use on a table top. At my advanced age I need to stop schlepping around Synthexes.
Old 2nd March 2019
  #132
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthGuruWiffen View Post
This is the best news yet as I always had trouble with pitchbend on the Synthex (that crappy joystick which I begged Elka to replace for the 4 years I did demos for them, it broke off on one of my Synthexes and on the other it kept falling inside, once onstage with Stevie). Pitchbend never really worked properly via MIDI either so this wasn't a way around it.

I'm also looking forward to all the features the Synthex didn't have!

The other great news is a 19" rack shallow enough to use on a table top. At my advanced age I need to stop schlepping around Synthexes.
Nice to have you here Paul Yep, this thing sounds great.
Old 2nd March 2019
  #133
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandomonium View Post
@clusterchord Compare this one with yours please.

I am go sick and tired of people creating nice synths every 6 months it seems!!!! How the heck am I ever supposed to save up money for that classic 69' Corvette I dream of owning one day?

Last edited by Quantum7; 2nd March 2019 at 10:12 AM..
Old 2nd March 2019
  #134
Here for the gear
 
SynthGuruWiffen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
I am go sick and tired of people creating nice synths every 6 months it seems!!!! How the heck am I ever supposed to ever save up money for that classic 69' Corvette I dream of buying one day?
A rack version of the Synthex is 36 years late as I suggested it to Elka in 1983 when MIDI was first launched. And you should worry, I’ve got my eye on a 1959 Pink Cadillac Convertible with the rocket tail fins for my Jayne Mansfield movie!
Old 7th March 2019
  #135
Gear Maniac
 

Fanfare for the Common Man by Copland, played with the Xerxes synthesizer.

Individual tracks were played live on Kurzweil Midiboard with only (polyphonic) aftertouch controlling the dynamics. No MIDI editing was done, and no mod wheels, knobs, sliders, or other gadgets were harmed in making this clip.

Percussion is Spitfire.
Reverb by Valhalla.

No other sounds or instruments used.

Old 7th March 2019
  #136
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandomonium View Post
Fanfare for the Common Man by Copland, played with the Xerxes synthesizer.

Individual tracks were played live on Kurzweil Midiboard with only (polyphonic) aftertouch controlling the dynamics. No MIDI editing was done, and no mod wheels, knobs, sliders, or other gadgets were harmed in making this clip.

Percussion is Spitfire.
Reverb by Valhalla.

No other sounds or instruments used.

Sounds great! Pretty interested in this synth, has there been any indication of price?
Old 7th March 2019
  #137
Lives for gear
not impressed maself and for 3k
Old 7th March 2019
  #138
Lives for gear
 
apessino's Avatar
On the DD users group Paul Shilling today:

Quote:
"I was able to spend an hour with the amazing Xerxes, with the Midiboard as controller, so polyphonic aftertouch. It was still a prototype (you may hear some chorus "chirp" artifacts on the L+R in a couple of places). In this session I gravitated towards exploring the beautiful highpass and bandpass filter modes. We recorded this session with Valhalla reverb and a bit of delay."
Here's the track:



Sounds great - definitely going to keep an eye out on this one.
Old 7th March 2019
  #139
Lives for gear
 
Klonfocius's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandomonium View Post
I think Xerxes will bust a lot of myths once you hear some better, focused demos (but it will take a bit of time). The oscillator is really a hybrid, combining the best features of other technologies, but without their limitations.

You can hear this a bit on the demo above (starting at 1:35) - perfectly smooth pitch bend on individual notes in a chord across the entire audio range (20kHz to practically zero Hz), without any audible aliasing. This can't be done on Synthex, other DCO-based synths with divide-down circuitry, or VCOs designed with 0-5 Volt (volt/octave) CV.
Yes it can, they justn didnt implement such vide bend range or bend resolution. STOP spreading myths since you dont jack ape what your talking about DUUUDE!
Old 7th March 2019
  #140
Lives for gear
 
apessino's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandomonium View Post
Fanfare for the Common Man by Copland, played with the Xerxes synthesizer.

Individual tracks were played live on Kurzweil Midiboard with only (polyphonic) aftertouch controlling the dynamics. No MIDI editing was done, and no mod wheels, knobs, sliders, or other gadgets were harmed in making this clip.

Percussion is Spitfire.
Reverb by Valhalla.

No other sounds or instruments used.

Just great! It sounds so 1980s epic sports film it hurts.

You know, something about a bad boy quarterback who doesn’t play by the rules, reluctantly forced to join a team of lovable misfits, coached by a faded athlete who once had a promising career, but is now a middle-aged alcoholic with no prospects, tortured by loneliness and regret.

The soaring Copland tune, in its contemporary, hip update for the electronic age, reverberates as the coach is giving his motivational speech right before the championship game they will, against all odds, end up winning.

Academy Awards all around...
Old 8th March 2019
  #141
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandomonium View Post
Fanfare for the Common Man by Copland, played with the Xerxes synthesizer.

Individual tracks were played live on Kurzweil Midiboard with only (polyphonic) aftertouch controlling the dynamics. No MIDI editing was done, and no mod wheels, knobs, sliders, or other gadgets were harmed in making this clip.

Percussion is Spitfire.
Reverb by Valhalla.

No other sounds or instruments used.

Wow. I just finally bought a mint OBXa, and now my gas is being stroked, tickled, poked ... and possibly set alight ... all over again
Old 2 days ago
  #144
Lives for gear
 
donato's Avatar
Love the way this sounds. I'm going to have to sell some things....
Old 2 days ago
  #145
Lives for gear
 
Musician's Avatar
Release date?
Old 1 day ago
  #146
Lives for gear
Price?
Old 1 day ago
  #147
Damn that sound great. Damn. Damn. Damn.
Old 1 day ago
  #148
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzzz View Post
Price?
Some people were talking about 3k but I haven’t seen any reliable source say such a thing yet?
Old 1 day ago
  #149
Gear Maniac
 
satatek's Avatar
Roman replied on fb the price is 3k
Attached Thumbnails
Black Corporation Xerxes 8 Voice Poly-screen-shot-2019-04-17-16.04.58.jpg  
Old 1 day ago
  #150
Gear Head
 
DarkLordSpaniard's Avatar
Price is really cool.. it's not too far off the Ob-6 price and this probably sounds better
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump