The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
September 2018 New Gear Thread
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

September 2018 New Gear Thread

Sold a few bits of gear to fund this

Thanks to Xanderbeanz for helping with decision.

but what could it be?

Clue:

September 2018 New Gear Thread-1.jpg
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by flat; 1st September 2018 at 02:06 PM..
Old 1st September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post

but what could it be?

Clue:

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

I'm thinking it might be something analog?
Old 1st September 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
I'm thinking it might be something analog?
Oh yes, but we can leave the word 'vintage' out of the equation

... unless of course , its a nod to it
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

Had to drove for 9 hours just to bring this home, was grinning the whole time after picking it up. Didn't notice when I was testing it at the seller's house, I was too elated to get it in the car, only after I got home I saw it has the CHD MIDI interface installed.

I still couldn't believe how lucky I was to find one so cheap and in such a pristine state considering where I live there's basically a dead vintage market. Gave it a good cleanup and tested it, everything working and keeps in tune. Hope nothing fails as I'm sure there's no tech in my country capable of fixing it and I never want to sell this beast. Though having the MIDI retrofit there's a slight chance it was serviced at least once in the last 10 years or so.

Creamed my pants when I first turned on all 3 parts and hit a few notes, fvcking hell, I've never played something so huge and warm, it just melts my eardrums in a pleasant pulsating and orgasmic way I can't even describe it
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

Some exceedingly boring things this month.

An Audio Accessories 96 way TT bay
Argosy 2 bay rack + dolly
Argosy 10u Rack N Roll
Sound Anchor stands for my Kii Three's.
Old 1st September 2018
Some drum samples for FL Studio.
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

I'm going to ruin your surprise but its an OB-6...

Quote:

but what could it be?

Clue:

Lives for gear

So lovely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by battyroy View Post
Had to drove for 9 hours just to bring this home, was grinning the whole time after picking it up. Didn't notice when I was testing it at the seller's house, I was too elated to get it in the car, only after I got home I saw it has the CHD MIDI interface installed.

I still couldn't believe how lucky I was to find one so cheap and in such a pristine state considering where I live there's basically a dead vintage market. Gave it a good cleanup and tested it, everything working and keeps in tune. Hope nothing fails as I'm sure there's no tech in my country capable of fixing it and I never want to sell this beast. Though having the MIDI retrofit there's a slight chance it was serviced at least once in the last 10 years or so.

Creamed my pants when I first turned all 3 parts and hit a few notes, fvcking hell, I've never played something so huge and warm, it just melts my eardrums in a pleasant pulsating and orgasmic way I can't even describe it
Lives for gear

Quote:
So lovely...
My favourite synth ever. And the MK1.(Which sounds better )

Congrats. Miss mine so much.
Old 1st September 2018
Eek. Something a bit jarring about having someone *else* announce a Trident in a New Gear Thread started by flat earth! But congrats to battyroy. She's looks a beaut.

flat earth: yep, I'm with Nexus-6.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm going to ruin your surprise but its an OB-6...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlaker View Post
Eek. Something a bit jarring about having someone *else* announce a Trident in a New Gear Thread started by flat earth! But congrats to battyroy. She's looks a beaut.

flat earth: yep, I'm with Nexus-6.
Correct gentlemen!

September 2018 New Gear Thread-imgp1206.jpg

September 2018 New Gear Thread-imgp1210.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
September 2018 New Gear Thread-imgp1206.jpg   September 2018 New Gear Thread-imgp1210.jpg  
Old 1st September 2018
Hot damn. September New Gear Thread off to a blazing start with some gorgeous looking machines!
Quote:
Had to drove for 9 hours just to bring this home..

Creamed my pants when I first turned on all 3 parts and hit a few notes, fvcking hell, I've never played something so huge and warm, it just melts my eardrums in a pleasant pulsating and orgasmic way I can't even describe it
oh don't remind me, i sold mine for peanuts back in 2007

in recent times i've been going back n forth about at least picking up a Polysix, while they are still borderline sanely priced. and each time i play them, i realize that Trident mk1 was the only poly Korg for me.

congratulations, especially if price was good that quite a catch

Quote:

congrats @ flat earth for coming back to Obie waters. looks beautiful. hope you like it as much as you did the OB-Xa.

also, cudos for being stoic watching someone else getting a Trident mk1 . when that was posted i thought "oh noooo, there goes the party.. "

if it means anything, i share your pain
Lives for gear

Quote:
My favourite synth ever. And the MK1.(Which sounds better )

Congrats. Miss mine so much.
I was just browsing one of the Trident threads here on gs and saw you mentioning yours, what happened to it?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
oh don't remind me, i sold mine for peanuts back in 2007

in recent times i've been going back n forth about at least picking up a Polysix, while they are still borderline sanely priced. and each time i play them, i realize that Trident mk1 was the only poly Korg for me.

congratulations, especially if price was good that quite a catch
Uh well, I don't know if I should mention the price I paid for I might get stoned or something. It was about 600euros inc. trip expenses.
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

I hate you all! just joking, you bastards.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
@ flat earth for coming back to Obie waters. looks beautiful. hope you like it as much as you did the OB-Xa.

also, cudos for being stoic watching someone else getting a Trident mk1 . when that was posted i thought "oh noooo, there goes the party.. "

if it means anything, i share your pain
Thanks. So far I'm absolutely loving it, but it doesn't sound much like an OBXa tbh. Its much sweeter and intricate. The filter is sublime. Goose bump inducing even. Not felt this positive about a synth within the 1st few hours for some time....also it has 6 voices! remember my old OBXa had 4 Only gripe is the 4 octave keybed (Which is weighted and lovely to play). Dave Smith really made something special here.

I have to admit, when I saw that Trident, all the wind went out of my sails
One day I shall get another, but the prices are disappearing over the horizon now. Hoping a relative will find one in their attic or something

Quote:
I was just browsing one of the Trident threads here on gs and saw you mentioning yours, what happened to it?
At the time I wasn't in a good place ยฃ wise. Trident, OBXa and Waldorf Q all were sold to same person. That was not a good day.
Old 1st September 2018
Gear Addict
I got this last month, but wasn't able to plug in until just now, so thought I'd post here.
Feels awesome to finally make a dream synth a reality. I think it might be the last one ever made.
Thanks to a very cool GS member from across the pond for making this possible.

P.S. This thread is giving me serious OB6 and Trident GAS... fuuuuuc***k
Quote:
Dave Smith really made something special here.
I think the other guy deserves a mention, too!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlaker View Post
I think the other guy deserves a mention, too!
Indeed (and careless of me to forget to mention ).

Thank you Tom Oberheim.
Gear Guru

Quote:

Absolute sickness !

Bravo squire, what a find
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
I got this last month, but wasn't able to plug in until just now, so thought I'd post here.
Feels awesome to finally make a dream synth a reality. I think it might be the last one ever made.
Thanks to a very cool GS member from across the pond for making this possible.

P.S. This thread is giving me serious OB6 and Trident GAS... fuuuuuc***k
HOOOLLEEEY COW!!

That's even more rare than a regular one.. Mine is giving it the eye like...ooh la la
Lives for gear

Quote:
At the time I wasn't in a good place ยฃ wise. Trident, OBXa and Waldorf Q all were sold to same person. That was not a good day.
Ah man sorry to hear that, must've been rough. Good to see you recovered, the obie is a beaut. I'm sure you'll find another Trident in the future.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah man sorry to hear that, must've been rough. Good to see you recovered, the obie is a beaut. I'm sure you'll find another Trident in the future.
Thanks, but the Trident is the beaut. Very hansom synthesizer.

I'm sure you know the score, but just in case you don't, check the internal battery (if it hasn't been replaced).
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear
I just ordered some RAM for my 2011 Mac mini. Hopefully 16gb will have her running a bit smoother.
Old 1st September 2018
Gear Maniac

The month is just started, but I already got:
- Unfiltered Audio Fault for 4$+VAT, thanks to combined coupons.
- Ozone 8 Elements for free, thanks to a promo by a well known store (actually, I had to buy another item to get the free Ozone license, but I paid that with the virtual cash I received as a reward for my previous purchases).

It's not as nice as bringing home some very cool pieces of hardware (I'm drooling at the photos on the previous posts), but I'm happy for the bang for the buck.
Old 2nd September 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, but the Trident is the beaut. Very hansom synthesizer.

I'm sure you know the score, but just in case you don't, check the internal battery (if it hasn't been replaced).
I was looking for that, didn't find it. Is it on the marked synth board? Also do the psu caps look factory original to you?
Attached Thumbnails
September 2018 New Gear Thread-1.jpg   September 2018 New Gear Thread-2.jpg  
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Jeez, A Trident, OB-6, Sunsyn. All i got was this: Roland SH-01a <sigh>
I need to step up my game!
Attached Thumbnails
September 2018 New Gear Thread-sh-01a_main.jpg  
Old 2nd September 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was looking for that, didn't find it. Is it on the marked synth board? Also do the psu caps look factory original to you?
The battery is on the upper side of the synth section. Mine was converted with battery holder on a wire.

(Don't get confused with any info on the MK2 version as they are oddly quite different inside as it was re-designed. Hence giving reason to some claiming the MK1 sounds superior )

Here is a picture of mine with the hood up.

Caps look the same. I hadn't changed mine at the time of the photo.

๐Ÿ“ Reply