The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
September 2018 New Gear Thread
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

I ordered a Linnstrument, taking advantage of Perfect Circuits sale. Not sure when it gets in stock but it was a couple hundred cheaper..

Wanted one for a while
Show replies
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Slutty again:

And another pack of 3’ Hosa 3.5mm cables. I have one pack and they’re handy, and I need a few more cables in that length.

Also emailed my Sweetwater pusher about canceling my 1010 FXBox order for an Intellijel Rainmaker. That will probably be a go, but I’ll update if/when it happens. If that’s a bad idea tho, talk me out of it.
Show replies
Old 2nd September 2018 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by battyroy View Post
Had to drove for 9 hours just to bring this home, was grinning the whole time after picking it up.

Kinda creepy seeing your unit having exact same location for the CHD midi connector, came so cheap, and i'm at the sea far away from the studio. Now im a little bit worried. LOL!
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
September 2018 New Gear Thread-p80902-191420-1-.jpg  
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Back in the game!
Almost ready to start wiring up the studio in its new location so getting some goodies in to make it possible.

Sountracs Topaz 24:

OTO Machines BIM (going to sell my Strymon Timeline as it's way too nice sounding for what I do):

2x Quiklok RS-513:

Quiklok WS-650 to put the mixer on (and racks under.. just about fits!):

2x Samson S-Patch (Takes me up to 4 in total):

2x Behringer ADA8000 (Takes me up to 3 of these... so including my Focusrite Pro 26 it takes my IO count to 32 channels so I can basically record the entire mixer direct into Ableton). Overkill for what i need to be honest, but what the hell:

RME Digiface USB + 8 optical cables to link all that IO together

Show replies

Last edited by binman_uk; 3rd September 2018 at 12:38 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Kinda creepy seeing your unit having exact same location for the CHD midi connector, came so cheap, and i'm at the sea far away from the studio. Now im a little bit worried. LOL!
The seller wasn't the usual synth kind of guy so who knows. I'd make a run home just to be sure .
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by battyroy View Post
The seller wasn't the usual synth kind of guy so who knows. I'd make a run home just to be sure .
He didn't look like this did he?

Show replies
Old 3rd September 2018
Gear Guru

Sadly, due to lack of funds, I've missed a very good condition V-Synth XT in Serbia, at an insane price (650€).

Probably won't happen ever again.
Show replies
Old 3rd September 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
Correct gentlemen!

At least it's not pink like the box!

Surprised there were no Gwyneth Paltrow comments...

Congrats! And color me green with envy.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Sadly, due to lack of funds, I've missed a very good condition V-Synth XT in Serbia, at an insane price (650€).

Probably won't happen ever again.
Show replies
Old 3rd September 2018
Well summing my latest purchasing:

RME ADI-2 DAC
Steinberg Cubase Artist 9.5
Audio Technica ATH-R70X
Maschine MK3

Had to sell my Apollo twin v1 (still have PCIe duo) and Elektron Trinty (Octatrack, Machinedrum and Monomachine).
Pretty happy with the sound quality, feel like a huge leap than my old setup and daw. Really digging the Maschine for new styles of compositions.

Next in line:
Midi keyboard (maybe the NI KKS)
Focal Shape (hope for Twin and if not the 65)
Komplete 12 - probably later this week
Additional UAD power - hope for something interesting with these new rumors of UAD X
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
At least it's not pink like the box!

Surprised there were no Gwyneth Paltrow comments...

Congrats! And color me green with envy.
Gwyneth Paltrow on Oberheim fan?
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Gwyneth Paltrow on Oberheim fan?
What's in the box??
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
So far I'm absolutely loving it, but it doesn't sound much like an OBXa tbh. Its much sweeter and intricate. The filter is sublime. Goose bump inducing even. Not felt this positive about a synth within the 1st few hours for some time....also it has 6 voices! remember my old OBXa had 4
This is great news! Congrats, flat earth! I'm really happy for you!
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
This is great news! Congrats, flat earth! I'm really happy for you!
Thanks.

The sound differs from the OBXa I had.

OBXa is course grit in your face CEM.

OB6 is pure fine sand with a more gentle SEM quality. It can be very atmospheric and dreamy. Perhaps the on board f/x processors help with that, but its filter is so beautiful, I can only describe it as 'mellow powder' if that makes any sense.

I look forward to experimenting with the X-Mod. (Xanderbeanz tells me it can go D-50 / Prophet VS style). This sure is a very nice synthesizer.
Show replies
Old 3rd September 2018
Lives for gear

I've been after one of these for ages and it's even better than I expected. Nice and small, it's like a large pedal. Super easy to tweak, no manual needed here. It's well made, the base is metal and the pots are fixed on with nuts.

I was surprised at how much I liked the sound of it. Reverbs are certainly Alesis flavoured and are very usable. Delays are great, and unlike a lot of digi delays these can feed back like a bastard and blow up speakers and ears if you don't take care. Delay times don't respond to pot tweaking like an analogue or modern digital one but you can't have everything. Phase/flange/chorus are all decent. Great filters and ring mod, decimators. Lots of ways to mangle stuff. Vocoders and the frequency shifter are excellent. The vocoders have a built-in carrier so they're set up for instant good sounding results. There's so much in this one box, it's like having 8 pedals in one. The only slight niggle is that it makes a short digi screech when it's switched off.

I wonder how the Zoom MS-70CDR compares? Anyone got both?
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
September 2018 New Gear Thread-ineko.jpg  
Old 3rd September 2018
Following on from August where I bought a guitar pedal power supply I'm keeping with the boring utility theme for September and bought a Reamp box.

Actually it's great fun...honestly...just run your tv through a Marshall 4x12...dash of phaser and delay...wah-wah during the adverts.

Oh...and the usual reamping of guitar.

[edit]
I see RX6 is on sale with auto upgrade to RX7...

just tidied up some vocals.
Show replies

Last edited by Howling Terror; 3rd September 2018 at 06:57 PM..
Old 5th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Went into the local Guitar Center on Labor Day with $350 dollars of birthday money to burn and left with a used Novation Circuit Mono Station in like new condition. Thanks to the YouTube channels “loopop” and “Knobs” for showing me how useful and gnarly sounding this little beast is. Gonna enjoy using it with my Moog Grandmother and my modular gear. Broke it out and started playing it immediately. I am impressed what this little box can do, and it feels good to know that Novation supports its products with great firmware updates/upgrades!
Show replies
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Been a little nutty in the new gear department over the holiday weekend. I've been spending so much time ADAT'ing a studio full of synths into Logic lately that I felt like stepping back and getting some simpler gear just to mess around with for inspiration, such as:

A cheap lap steel (always wanted one)

A Fostex X-18 (couldn't find the X-15 I had as a teen in the 80s, but this should get me back to the immediacy of pressing record on a cassette player...no USB allowed)

A mandolin that I plan on running through some ambient fx

A Microverb (for the 80s gates!)

An 88-key hammer action Casio (I'm gonna learn piano if it's the last thing I do...and at this rate it just might be)

The Behringer Virtualizer (just a minor bit of gear to run some synths through when the H9 is all booked up)

My dream Gretsch, the very Elvis-y Rancher Falcon

and the one I'm looking forward to the most for some reason, the Vintage Yamaha Portasound PSS-560 (maybe jumping into circuit bending?)

No more spending until Black Friday...fingers crossed...
Show replies
Old 5th September 2018 | Show parent
Some percussion instruments. I don’t always use drum machines in my demos. I sometimes use percussion.
Show replies
Deleted 46dc28f
This

To go with this

And these

Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybox View Post
Been a little nutty in the new gear department over the holiday weekend. I've been spending so much time ADAT'ing a studio full of synths into Logic lately that I felt like stepping back and getting some simpler gear just to mess around with for inspiration, such as:

A cheap lap steel (always wanted one)

No more spending until Black Friday...fingers crossed...
Change the strings and the pickup that came with it and it will be perfectly usable. I've had mine 3 or 4 years and play it most days.

Some great tips on this youtube channel.
YouTube
Show replies
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

I've been rearranging the studio a little and so I needed a few things to finish the new layout. Just some odds and ends that I've needed for some time. A new Roland keyboard stand. I was using a chair and it worked great but the stand is much easier on the eyes. A brand new Ultimate Support Superclamp for the Apex stand and 2 new arms to go with it. I can't believe the new clamp replacements still work with my ancient 1987 apex stand. Extremely Hi marks to Ultimate Support for still supporting a 30 year old piece of kit. Also got a few of those $15.00 dust covers for the Prologue and the Rev 2. Last but not least a proper 10 ft. usb cable to reach the Rev 2 in it's new position.
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
September 2018 New Gear Thread-all-toys-labels-small-.png  
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Just pulled the trigger on a new Microbrute. The price was so good that I can recoup my money if we have to annul the marriage after the honeymoon. But I just can't want to put my knob-twiddling hands all over it!
Show replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
Just pulled the trigger on a new Microbrute. The price was so good that I can recoup my money if we have to annul the marriage after the honeymoon. But I just can't want to put my knob-twiddling hands all over it!
Brilliant synth
Show replies
Old 6th September 2018 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Henrik Larsson?!?
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
September 2018 New Gear Thread-20180905_235815.jpg  
Old 6th September 2018
Deleted 0fc8128
Honestly, I do have enough stuff to keep me happy for multiple lifetimes, but hey, who can say no to a DIY project?

Show replies
Old 6th September 2018
My girlfriend kinda urged my to after playing one, so I had to comply... especially since I found a good b stock offer
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
September 2018 New Gear Thread-dscn3562.jpg  
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

Urgh, need to stop buying things.

Got a 3m length of cable trays.
Not particularly sexy, but certainly practical to keep my upcoming wiring neat.

And a Blofeld... wanted one for ages...

Show replies
Old 6th September 2018
^^^Looks good in that colour.

Something sexy just turned up.

It will help me polish turds as it has done in various guises since the 1980s. This has AD converters FTW.

That handle will have to go....so a brief peek inside.

Straight to work.

Show replies
Old 6th September 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk View Post
Urgh, need to stop buying things.

Got a 3m length of cable trays.
Not particularly sexy, but certainly practical to keep my upcoming wiring neat.

And a Blofeld... wanted one for ages...
At least one of them will function properly and save you months of frustration.
Show replies

Last edited by Mushy Mushy; 6th September 2018 at 05:35 PM..
📝 Reply