The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
drum machine for electro/synth pop music? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 26th August 2018
Here for the gear

drum machine for electro/synth pop music?

Hi guys,

I was wandering if you can help me out with suggestions, I'm looking for a drum machine for electronic/ synth pop music, easy to use, which can record audio to DAW ( if possible in separate drum channels when connected to PC via USB or midi ). When it comes to price, it doesn't have to be lowest price DM, but lets say the ones that are most expensive are out of the question...there is so many of them, been reading about many models for 2 weeks and still haven't decided,
so I hope you'll help me out on this, thanks.
Old 26th August 2018
Lives for gear

What sort of synth pop?
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear

The kind of synth pop I like is heavily '80s influenced, so the best drum machine for me is the Oberheim DX.

If you want to cover all bases and have any and all influences to your synth pop, I would suggest NI Maschine. It's powerful and a lot of fun.
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin_q View Post
Hi guys,

I was wandering if you can help me out with suggestions, I'm looking for a drum machine for electronic/ synth pop music, easy to use, which can record audio to DAW ( if possible in separate drum channels when connected to PC via USB or midi ). When it comes to price, it doesn't have to be lowest price DM, but lets say the ones that are most expensive are out of the question...there is so many of them, been reading about many models for 2 weeks and still haven't decided,
so I hope you'll help me out on this, thanks.
Behringer RD-808(combined with an audio interface or mixing desk/outboard FX), Aly James Lab VProm VST(Linn Drum), SparkLe for DMX sounds(and everything else). These are what I have for each of these except my 808 clone is Yocto(A more costly DIY)....

Maybe TR8S would suit you better....
Old 27th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
What sort of synth pop?
I like the sound of Gunship, Mitch Murder, but for example Depeche sound as well...

Is it easy to program a drum sequence on NI Maschine? Can you record drum channels in separate tracks via USB / MIDI?

Thanks a lot!
Old 27th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
Behringer RD-808(combined with an audio interface or mixing desk/outboard FX), Aly James Lab VProm VST(Linn Drum), SparkLe for DMX sounds(and everything else). These are what I have for each of these except my 808 clone is Yocto(A more costly DIY)....

Maybe TR8S would suit you better....
yes Roland TR 8 or 8s is something I was investigating the most, but still am not sure wether that's the right option...now that you mentioned it, do you maybe have experience when it comes to comparing TR 8 and drum machine on Roland yd xi? I've read some very positive comments about drums on yd xi, so if most of the drum kits are both on TR 8 and yd xi and if it is possible to record drum channels in separate tracks on both of them, than yd xi might be a good choice for me since I would get both drums and synth

Thank a lot for help!
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes Roland TR 8 or 8s is something I was investigating the most, but still am not sure wether that's the right option...now that you mentioned it, do you maybe have experience when it comes to comparing TR 8 and drum machine on Roland yd xi? I've read some very positive comments about drums on yd xi, so if most of the drum kits are both on TR 8 and yd xi and if it is possible to record drum channels in separate tracks on both of them, than yd xi might be a good choice for me since I would get both drums and synth

Thank a lot for help!
The drum kits in the JDXi are just static samples, the TR8S models the 808 etc so you can shape/tune the sounds, you could even load in classic DMX/Linn Drum samples. I'd defo go TR8s over JDXi for drums.
Old 27th August 2018
I think you’d like the TR-8S. Like others have said, even loads samples. Meaning you could have the 7x7/808/909/DMX/Linndrum/Simmons drum samples all together. The 707/727/909 come as expansions for the TR-8S.
So in total you’ll get these classic 80’s style and synthpop style drums.
TR-707, TR-727, TR-808, TR-909, Oberheim DMX, Oberheim DX, Linn LM-1, LinnDrum, Simmons SDS-V and even some later stuff like Yamaha RX-11, that Korg digital drum machine I can’t remember the name of, Alesis SR-16, Roland R8, and Casio RZ-1. All of which can be found free online to load to your sampler.
Old 27th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I like the sound of Gunship, Mitch Murder, but for example Depeche sound as well...
If you aim for the modern synthwave sound akin to the 80's, this sound is easier to properly do in the box without the hardware. Mitch Murder uses Renoise tracker, for example. Use samples of 80's drum machines or - better - cut from the 80's records where single hits are heard clearly (they are already processed so there's more texture on them). Hardware drum machines need lots of processing to sound as in your face as in modern synthwave.

But they have soul.

Last edited by Transistores; 27th August 2018 at 02:47 PM..
Old 27th August 2018
Look for 80’s drum machine samples online to put into your software sampler. It’s better than hardware.
Old 27th August 2018
Gear Maniac

I don’t quite make the same genre as what you’re making, nor am I super familiar with it, but the Elektron Analog Rytm does just about everything I want from a drum machine, and so much more. It makes an awesome bass synth and simple sampler as well.
A used Mk 1 is pretty reasonably priced now days. If you want a flexible instrument that can grow with you for a long time, I think the Rytm is an excellent choice.
Old 27th August 2018
Gear Nut

Novation Circuit is the easiest damn thing ever out of the box. With all the updates it is a beast. I bought one new 2 weeks ago but am selling it because I want a Synthstrom Deluge. Hit me up if you are interested!
Old 27th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
The drum kits in the JDXi are just static samples, the TR8S models the 808 etc so you can shape/tune the sounds, you could even load in classic DMX/Linn Drum samples. I'd defo go TR8s over JDXi for drums.
Would TR 8 also be good, or TR 8s would be much better option? I understand you can load samples to TR 8s , but is its overall value really that better than TR 8?
Old 27th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Bird View Post
I think you’d like the TR-8S. Like others have said, even loads samples. Meaning you could have the 7x7/808/909/DMX/Linndrum/Simmons drum samples all together. The 707/727/909 come as expansions for the TR-8S.
So in total you’ll get these classic 80’s style and synthpop style drums.
TR-707, TR-727, TR-808, TR-909, Oberheim DMX, Oberheim DX, Linn LM-1, LinnDrum, Simmons SDS-V and even some later stuff like Yamaha RX-11, that Korg digital drum machine I can’t remember the name of, Alesis SR-16, Roland R8, and Casio RZ-1. All of which can be found free online to load to your sampler.
Those are useful informations, thanks for suggestion!
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Would TR 8 also be good, or TR 8s would be much better option? I understand you can load samples to TR 8s , but is its overall value really that better than TR 8?
You can use TR8 as an audio interface to get at seperate channels over USB for your DAW I think up to 10 channels, however on PC if you already have another audio interface you need to be using Asio4all driver to use multiple audio devices. Like I do with my TR-09. I could set up my TR8 like that but currently running 3 channels into my mixer.
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear

If you want hardware style/feel on a budget maybe look at TR-8(secondhand with 7X7 installed) and SparkLe(Spark 2) controller combo or maybe even Machine instead and just have the one bit of kit. Never used Maschine so ask others there. I just happen to like Spark...
Old 27th August 2018
M32
Lives for gear
another vote for the Tr8s here.
If i'd go for an OTB drum machine, that'd be my choice. Ergonomics and workflow are very straight forward, you can load in your own samples... no brainer that one.
The new is a lot better than the old one in that they've really listened to their user-base feedback
and used a lot of it in their design. plus samples.

If you want to experiment more there's the Elektron shizzle; But that's twice the price. And you have to learn their interface. Most machines i see in a shop i can pretty much use instantly. not so with the Rytm
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear

MicroTonic if you are into VSTi stuff.
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear

Personally I would rytm. Then you can add whatever samples you like as well as a cool analogue section.. Also has audio over usb
Old 28th August 2018
I've loaded Linndrum samples into my Volca Sample and they're nice. Sequence that with whatever, I use a QY-100 and it works great. I'm considering finding another Volca Sample used and filling it with all the drum machine sounds I can find that I like just for this sort of scenario. The QY-100 has decent drums for electro/synth pop too, albeit a somewhat smaller palate than you'd get from using software + samples or some other thing (like an Akai MPC or similar).
Old 28th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those are useful informations, thanks for suggestion!
Korg DD5. and yes. your list is spot on.
Old 28th August 2018
Gear Addict

If you're open to plugins, Beatbox Anthology 2 has all the drum machines and a pretty cool and intuitive interface
Old 28th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurfin View Post
I don’t quite make the same genre as what you’re making, nor am I super familiar with it, but the Elektron Analog Rytm does just about everything I want from a drum machine, and so much more. It makes an awesome bass synth and simple sampler as well.
A used Mk 1 is pretty reasonably priced now days. If you want a flexible instrument that can grow with you for a long time, I think the Rytm is an excellent choice.
I see only mk2 available for purchase on Thomann, but it’s out of my price range to be honest...
Old 28th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poserp View Post
I've loaded Linndrum samples into my Volca Sample and they're nice. Sequence that with whatever, I use a QY-100 and it works great. I'm considering finding another Volca Sample used and filling it with all the drum machine sounds I can find that I like just for this sort of scenario. The QY-100 has decent drums for electro/synth pop too, albeit a somewhat smaller palate than you'd get from using software + samples or some other thing (like an Akai MPC or similar).
That sounds interesting... what about recording audio to daw from volca sample? Does it recognize separate drum channels if you record via USB/midi ?
Old 28th August 2018
Gear Nut

Everybody seems to be giving you different options! Sorry for muddying the waters further, but I have found the elektron Digitakt to be a great drum sampler/almost synth. It will sound like whatever you put into it.

I make music that is heavily early eighties inspired and used the digitakt as a way to free up voices on my Tempest (i know this setup sounds extravagant, but bear with me) so that it can function as a synth. I make the drums on the tempest, sample them, add digital effects and an lfo to the start points, and it means that i can play live without having too many stolen voices.

Its currently cheaper than the tr8s too.
Old 28th August 2018
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistores View Post
[...]Renoise tracker, for example. Use samples[...]
This. Always this. For drum programming, Renoise is the answer. Especially when you need sample-based drums.
Old 28th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
If you're open to plugins, Beatbox Anthology 2 has all the drum machines and a pretty cool and intuitive interface
UVI provided a lot of the vintage drums for Arturia Spark I think. Maybe the same samples.
Old 28th August 2018
Lives for gear

None of that TR8, Maschine, Elektron stuff .... go with the 80's sound.

Old 28th August 2018
Lives for gear

Wave Alchemy Evolution is what you need!
It's great!
Old 29th August 2018
Quote:
That sounds interesting... what about recording audio to daw from volca sample? Does it recognize separate drum channels if you record via USB/midi ?
No, unless you do it manually (i.e. rewind and solo a different track each time). I've found that the Volca Sample is sufficient for any tonal stuff I want to do to a drum sample, but YMMV.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search