Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Wowwwww... That footwork is incredible.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectralwaves View Post
Yes Don Muro is an amazing performer .

I discovered him through his brilliant (imo) 'demo' of the Korg DVP1 , same era as DSS1..its the only good demo I found of that machine, in a few years of searching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYlVu8bUuO4
It’s become a Don Muro thread

Here’s 1976’s Jungle Book, it’s an incredible piece of work.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
It’s become a Don Muro thread

Here’s 1976’s Jungle Book, it’s an incredible piece of work.
I apologise. I posted it as it had the DSS-1 in.

However, I'm quite glad I did. This guy is seriously talented. Glad the post has enlightened those who hadn't heard of him before (me included)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
I apologise. I posted it as it had the DSS-1 in.

However, I'm quite glad I did. This guy is seriously talented. Glad the post has enlightened those who hadn't heard of him before (me included)
Yes, I found him via that DSS 1 demo, and then went down the YouTube rabbit hole, there’s tons of his stuff on there.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Have to admit I have never used Macs for music (gone from ST - Amiga - PC)

Used Macs extensively when I was a Graphic Designer though. Think it was a 'Busmans holiday type thing' Macs remeinded me of work. Music was relaxation
I think that was more to do with things like Freehand (remember...) coming out for Mac first. I was/am the same. I started out using a Mac for graphics because it was just what everyone was using. Now I don’t think there’s any difference, but I still use a Mac for graphics. This is probably my last one though, unless someone at Apple pulls their head out of their anus and makes a Mac Pro that’s not outrageously priced.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I think that was more to do with things like Freehand (remember...) coming out for Mac first. I was/am the same. I started out using a Mac for graphics because it was just what everyone was using. Now I don’t think there’s any difference, but I still use a Mac for graphics. This is probably my last one though, unless someone at Apple pulls their head out of their anus and makes a Mac Pro that’s not outrageously priced.
Crikey. That brings back memories. In the bureau I worked at, I had 2 Quadra's running Freehand and Quark. Went home to relax with my Amiga's and PC's.

Apple to me were like Roland. Very trendy and a little bit over rated. I used PC's and Korgs. I've always liked being different
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Crikey. That brings back memories. In the bureau I worked at, I had 2 Quadra's running Freehand and Quark. Went home to relax with my Amiga's and PC's.

Apple to me were like Roland. Very trendy and a little bit over rated. I used PC's and Korgs. I've always liked being different
That’s a good analogy, though, I will say that in my experience at music stores that had both Macs and PCsm back in the day, Macs had much better operating systems. I used to install software in be up and running in a few minutes while my coworker was on the phone with support for his PC. I think the fact that they had such tight control over the OS and hardware made them a more predictable choice.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

The Roland fanboys will have your guts for garters.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That’s a good analogy, though, I will say that in my experience at music stores that had both Macs and PCsm back in the day, Macs had much better operating systems. I used to install software in be up and running in a few minutes while my coworker was on the phone with support for his PC. I think the fact that they had such tight control over the OS and hardware made them a more predictable choice.
Won't argue with you there. But I preferred ripping PC's apart, playing around with clock speeds, upgrading pretty much in any direction. Almost total freedom and a much larger selection of software (not just music)

I read a perfect quote regarding Apple once....... "Apple Macs are like a beautiful colourful garden .... surrounded by a 20ft wall!"

Quote:
The Roland fanboys will have your guts for garters.
Oh I'm used to being roasted for not conforming to the norm.

Sir Maisonvague recently reminded me of a quote I once posted when I said I described myself as a lonely vintage Korg fish swimming in a lake full of Roland obsessed fish.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Korg is becoming my fave. It used to be Yamaha.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, our forces have doubled. 2 blue fish it is
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, our forces have doubled. 2 blue fish it is
There is a Korg night in my city at one of my fave pubs soon, so I’m going to go try the Minilogue XD.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Korg has always been my fav, with Yamaha coming in a distant 2nd. Roland never made the top 5 in my book. I've tried thru the years to become more Rolandy but it just doesn't stick.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Oh yes, Macs were the **** in the late eighties and early 90's. I only used Macs back then. I still use one as my main recorder but I have a PC that lives beside it as the main sampler in the studio.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdpath View Post
Korg has always been my fav, with Yamaha coming in a distant 2nd. Roland never made the top 5 in my book. I've tried thru the years to become more Rolandy but it just doesn't stick.
It’s really funny...I own some of Korg & Yamaha’s more respected instruments, yet, before I got the Vsynth, the only Roland items I owned were the MT32 and it’s hated cousin, the D5.

So I have got a little more Rolandy...no Analogue though as of yet. I might enjoy a nice MKS70, lots of layering potential there.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow. i thought I was the only one

I never understood the obsession some have with vintage Roland gear (Particularly the 80's JP8/Juno/101 sound. (I do like the JP4 and the 70's stuff though). I have quite a bit of their digital stuff now, but this JPX/m does not interest me at all.

I'm the total opposite with Korg. Love pretty much all there 70's - mid 80's stuff but their newer products not so much. Somehow I really can't gel with the Prologue stuff. They really need to re-visit their SSM character again imho.

My order of favour has pretty much always been

1)Korg
2)Waldorf
3)Oberheim
4)DSI/Sequential
5)Yamaha
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It’s really funny...I own some of Korg & Yamaha’s more respected instruments, yet, before I got the Vsynth, the only Roland items I owned were the MT32 and it’s hated cousin, the D5.

So I have got a little more Rolandy...no Analogue though as of yet. I might enjoy a nice MKS70, lots of layering potential there.
Over the last few years I purchased a lot of the 80s Rolands to see if I felt differently about them decades later and though I appreciated them for what they were, I ended up selling most of them. Except for the MKS-30 and the JP8000...those two just have something special to my ears.

If you haven't tried the free VST PG-8x ( that loads MKS sysex ), you def should. I sold my JX8p and MKS70 after comparing/listening to it. It is 99.9% spot on.

Quote:
Wow. i thought I was the only one
I think us Korg fans are far outnumbered but that's OK. Brilliance is often misunderstood. :-)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I think us Korg fans are far outnumbered but that's OK. Brilliance is often misunderstood. :-)
I like being the minority.

When I see all the big hitters on this forum all praising Roland gear over and over, I never understand why they don't want to be a little more individualised and different.

We are the Donnie Darko's of GS
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Over the last few years I purchased a lot of the 80s Rolands to see if I felt differently about them decades later and though I appreciated them for what they were, I ended up selling most of them. Except for the MKS-30 and the JP8000...those two just have something special to my ears.

If you haven't tried the free VST PG-8x ( that loads MKS sysex ), you def should. I sold my JX8p and MKS70 after comparing/listening to it. It is 99.9% spot on.

I have an odd idea now about sampling the VST PG-8X, maybe some raw waveforms, maybe some XMOD waveforms, and then importing the waveforms into the DSS, for a kind of nice 80’s DCO/Hybrid jam.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have an odd idea now about sampling the VST PG-8X, maybe some raw waveforms, maybe some XMOD waveforms, and then importing the waveforms into the DSS, for a kind of nice 80’s DCO/Hybrid jam.
That's a cool idea! Def a best of both worlds approach. And for the full MKS-70 experience, sample multiple waveforms together! I often load and play 2 instances of PG-8x.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's a cool idea! Def a best of both worlds approach. And for the full MKS-70 experience, sample multiple waveforms together! I often load and play 2 instances of PG-8x.
Yes that sounds good. Sample 2 osc patches, double for the sound of 4!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That’s an AN1x 3rd from bottom on my rack...for scale. It’s a 48” rack, the DSS fits perfectly and the AN1x has maybe 4.5 inches on either side.
My main advice is to REALLY make sure the support arms are firmly tightened because there were a few times I thought they were tightly clamped to hold my Synth’s yet they weren’t...
So I wondered if there was a consensus on what sample “capture” workflow gives the most characterful sounds.

I have two options, I can send the samples over midi to the DSS via sample wrench, like I do with my EPS16+, or, I can sample the audio into the instrument via a jack cable.

Does sampling in via audio add any magic to proceedings? On the FZ1, sampling in makes things, 5% less bassy, and 15% more angry, which is interesting, a mild smudgy distortion creeps over everything. Like audio rust.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I haven't sampled with my DSS since I got it, and that was to test that the inputs worked. I don't remember how it sounded, except it had that darkish, 12-bit crunchiness that the DSS does so well. I imagine any sample, once downsampled and run through the filters will sound as good.

Currently, I use a Zoom H4n Pro for field recording and for an audio interface for gear sampling.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search