The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cheap VST license on ebay, is this legit? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Addict

Cheap VST license on ebay, is this legit?

There's a guy selling a Fabfilter bundle on eBay for £50. The seller notes at the bottom of the listing:
Quote:
PLEASE NOTE THAT NO EBAY RULES OR VERO OR OTHER COPYRIGHT LAWS ARE BEING VIOLATED WITH THIS LISTING. I HAVE THE RIGHT TO SELL THIS LEGAL SOFTWARE
Is this legit, if so how? If not, how can you get away with selling cracked software on eBay?
Old 15th August 2018
Lives for gear

If you look at the sellers feedback you will find people saying the software is cracked.

He/She gets away with it because no one is reporting them.
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Addict

I would say that this is 95% not legit but it’s worth messaging the seller and ask if the serial is registerable on fabfilters site?
Old 15th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by damoog View Post
I would say that this is 95% not legit but it’s worth messaging the seller and ask if the serial is registerable on fabfilters site?
Listing the version numbers and the fact he's selling multiple collections rings alarm bells. I wouldn't touch it with a barge poll.
Old 15th August 2018
Lives for gear

Or rather email fabfilter and ask them?

I emailed some companies before when I've seen cheap SW on eBay and they came back as legit and so I've bought them, with nice healthy discount
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
Or rather email fabfilter and ask them?

I emailed some companies before when I've seen cheap SW on eBay and they came back as legit and so I've bought them, with nice healthy discount
Thanks, I took your advice and just sent them an email. I've purchased legitimate license transfers on eBay before, but this seems a bit too good to be true in terms of price.
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Guru

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
If you look at the sellers feedback you will find people saying the software is cracked.

He/She gets away with it because no one is reporting them.
The other bundle software offerings look like someone went to town with torrents and a DVD burner. Hard pass.
Old 15th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrobiscuit View Post
Thanks, I took your advice and just sent them an email. I've purchased legitimate license transfers on eBay before, but this seems a bit too good to be true in terms of price.
They will probably have a more direct route to get it taken down as well
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Addict

They replied:

Quote:
Thank you for your interest in our plug-ins. Looks like a crack! Our Total Bundle sells at $999,-

Usually, if something sounds to good to be true it's probably cracked...

We'll report this to eBay, thanks for the heads up!
Old 15th August 2018
Lives for gear

All you have to do is look at their feedback to see it's not legit.
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap VST license on ebay, is this legit?-feedback.jpg  
Old 15th August 2018
Lives for gear

Roland - VS PROMARS 1.0.7 VSTi, VSTi3 (x64)

Roland - VS Concerto 4.0.2 VSTi, VSTi3 (x64)

Roland - VS JUPITER-8 1.0.4 VSTi, VSTi3 (x64)

Roland - VS SH-101 1.1.0 VSTi, VSTi3 (x64)

Roland - VS SH-2 1.0.9 VSTi, VSTi3 (x64)

Roland - VS SYSTEM-1 1.0.8 VSTi, VSTi3 (x64)

Roland - VS JV-1080 1.0.1 VSTi, VSTi3 (x64)

Roland - VS JUNO-106 1.0.2 VSTi, VSTi3 (x64)

Roland - VS D-50 1.0.4 VSTi, VSTi3 (x64)

Roland - VS SYSTEM-100 1.0.6 VSTi, VSTi3 (x64)

How have they managed this lol. the Cloud only plugins...
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Head
Often times it is cracked software with a reg-key. Not a good way to go. It often will give you malware and can potentially harm your computer. Also cracked software is stealing. Best thing you can do is wait till it goes on sale and jump on it.
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Addict

Cloud only is what Roland wants you to believe, the plugins are cracked for more than a year.
Old 15th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by battyroy View Post
Cloud only is what Roland wants you to believe, the plugins are cracked for more than a year.
I heard off an Ebay purchaser wanting to buy my System-1M(lowball private message that I eventually declined) that all the original Content Store plugouts/ins were cracked at that time as I asked if he wanted the SH-101 on it or Promars plugged out as I was only selling the hardware, he said "no bother I have all of them as they've been cracked."

So I thought the move to the Cloud was to prevent further pirating - well that worked then, not.
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
So I thought the move to the Cloud was to prevent further pirating - well that worked then, not.
It's to keep honest people honest, but the subscription model is just so they can have a more stable cash flow and a potentially bigger market. You are the most expensive to Roland if you just rent it for a month and then never need it again, but consider how many subscriptions you let lapse.

Adobe's making more money if you can afford to pay to rent Photoshop (like Office, it's something you're not going to be emotionally attached to) as opposed to not getting any money at all because you can't afford Creative Suite (when it was still non-cloud) and go for the pirated version.

It's just that with instruments, there's a far stronger drive for (tribal) identity - "I only use Roland synths" - and emotional attachment. While that is a lot weaker with plugins, it's still there.

As for the piracy of these, it's the same with any kind of online activation or challenge/response; you just fake it that the server on the other end responded with a "yup, A-OK". It's common for pirated versions to require you to change the content of your hosts file in the system folder; it's so that any alternative URLs and IP addresses are routed back to the machine, so that the activation finally tries its little internal fake server.
Old 15th August 2018
Deleted b6e9904
I recently bought a copy of windows 7 off eBay at a too good to be true price. Turns out, it actually was too good to be true.
Old 15th August 2018
Thanks for the heads up guys, just bought everything!

Put them on my wifes computer so not worried about malware!!

jk
Old 17th April 2019
Here for the gear

ok so i wanna buy "waves h comp" compressor listed on ebay for $11.95

Waves H-Comp Hybrid Compressor | eBay

should i buy it?
Old 17th April 2019
the waves stuff is all $29 today anyway??
Old 17th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
the waves stuff is all $29 today anyway??
i have $10 discount on ebay so i pay $1.95
Old 17th April 2019
Here for the gear

i just bought it, wish me luck
Old 17th April 2019
Here for the gear

works great
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablometal View Post
i just bought it, wish me luck
You have learned nothing from this thread.

e: does it show up in your Waves account with all the details, too? License transfer seems to be more involved.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
You have learned nothing from this thread.

e: does it show up in your Waves account with all the details, too? License transfer seems to be more involved.
works great

https://i.imgur.com/LNOvaY9.jpg
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

well i cost me 1.95 to find out how ****ty waves central is definitely not going to use it
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablometal View Post
well i cost me 1.95 to find out how ****ty waves central is definitely not going to use it
What’s wrong with it ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
What’s wrong with it ?
they have a software called waves central and it's like north korea you can't do anything wrong. I use a 4g modem so i always change my ip, that makes your plugins useless, there's no way to use them becouse your harddrive and your ip number are associated and after changing my ip it will appear as disconnected. End of the story

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search