The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Someone please make a compact multitimbral desktop synth! Desktop Synthesizers
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
You’re likely just ahead of the curve on a new multitimbral desktop synth. I’d imagine we’ll see these again at some point.
I agree, we have to get past the inexpensive tiny desktop units with 3.5mm MIDI connectors and clones of vintage analog that are all the rage right now.

A multitimbral box will likely come in at a higher price point, like $1000 and up. Blofeld was in that bracket when introduced, it took a number of years to fall to today's $500 price.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
I agree, we have to get past the inexpensive tiny desktop units with 3.5mm MIDI connectors and clones of vintage analog that are all the rage right now.

A multitimbral box will likely come in at a higher price point, like $1000 and up. Blofeld was in that bracket when introduced, it took a number of years to fall to today's $500 price.
Yes! 1000 bucks for x-tracks of high quality synthesis, rugged DSP, and good effects in a compact, yet functional box.
Edit: The Arturia Origin was kind of like this, except it was way more expensive, underpowered for it's deep architecture and buggy, and was probably released at the wrong time. Arturia seemed to abandon it rather quickly.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear
Limited space generally means limited funds, and if you’re performing then you either want comprehensive controls or you might as well just use pre-recorded Audio that has been synthesized and processed to perfection in the studio for your live performances.

The sound quality will take a hit if you have too many digital voices on too many tracks or else the cost of the unit’s additional internals will eat start eating away at the sales numbers.

Comparisons of the sound quality of a multi-timbral machine versus pre-recorded audio will always favor the recorded audio, so a small multitimbral box that is high in price probably is not going to happen any time soon.
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs1 View Post
It would seem that the Deluge is probably the best solution for my needs. Seems to be an amazing machine that in no way has been intentionally crippled. Flexible, powerful, compact. Sadly it's out of stock. But unless something really smart comes on the market, guess I'll sell the MPC and become a Deluge-guy when the time comes.
Thanks for all the comments (so far). It's been a fun thread.
Noah lived in a boat and got a Deluge.
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
Noah lived in a boat and got a Deluge.
we should end the thread right there... brilliant :D
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Someone please make a compact multitimbral
+1'000'000.... I'm completely with this!

Blofeld? = hard to program and have issues when using multitimbraly... and also fx system is not multitimbral
Virus? = great, but you need computer to use it with more than 16 multis anyway
Supernova? = is not any compact even rack
Elektron boxes? = you need a whole set of them to have complete functionality - so nothing compact in the end again
Kyra = looks promising
Everything else compact and multitimbral are basically romplers or synths with very limited polyphony
if only Korg would make Kronos in desktop/rack format - that would be all I ever need, but that is kind a confirmed will never happen...

so for now I stick with my Synthstrom Deluge as it delivers the most in compact format despite limited synth engine.... but the topic is open in the case if any major manufacturer with their experience and heritage is willing to chime in into this category... what is unlikely, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamey777 View Post
Run an iPad as a standalone midi studio. Don't use it for sequencing or recording (unless you want to) It will behave just like one of the multitimbral boxes you want but with infinitely more flexibility and it will also sound much better.

You can get Korg Gadget, or any number of softsynths and run them. They have a full blown mixer you can set up and route your efx and midi channels just like a proper studio. All you need to purchase is an iPad, the cheapest class compliant audio/midi interface you can find and throw a few bucks at software.

The Korg and Moog synth offerings are simply amazing.

1) Hook up class compliant audio/midi to the camera connection kit
2) Purchase AUM and set up however many multi timbral parts you want. Each channel can be whatever midi you like. You can also do multiple outs or stereo. Your choice.
3) Set up any efx busses you like in AUM using audio unit plugins (amazing quality and cheap now)
4) plug those 5 pin midi din cables into your akai
5) Start recording...

Jamey
At the moment it might seem good idea, but just today I red, that Apple is aiming to app subscription model in near future and this at least to me would be major issue using iOS for music making in future - so taking into account how easy apple changes everything without bothering about compatibility and continuity - I wouldn't call that future proof as you never know when something will be changed and how much that will cost you to make it work again.

...regarding AUM - it doesn't supports midi sinc (only Ableton link, that makes it more cumbersome to set up via midi to link solutions) also all current iOS daw software (i find reasonable for my music making) can't deal with the situation when you swap your midi controller - each time you swap it you need to rebuild all your setup - re-route all midi.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvti View Post
+1'000'000.... I'm completely with this!

if only Korg would make Kronos in desktop/rack format - that would be all I ever need, but that is kind a confirmed will never happen...
Same here.
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
At the moment it might seem good idea, but just today I red, that Apple is aiming to app subscription model in near future and this at least to me would be major issue using iOS for music making in future - so taking into account how easy apple changes everything without bothering about compatibility and continuity - I wouldn't call that future proof as you never know when something will be changed and how much that will cost you to make it work again.
They are doing that where it makes sense, no one is forced to do it. I can see the plugin manufacturers that already do subs for VST doing subs for iOs but you aren't going to see the vast majority doing it for other apps. I would expect anyone who can make subs work will, and it will pan out to be the same folks that make subs work for VSTs today.

Quote:
...regarding AUM - it doesn't supports midi sinc (only Ableton link, that makes it more cumbersome to set up via midi to link solutions) also all current iOS daw software (i find reasonable for my music making) can't deal with the situation when you swap your midi controller - each time you swap it you need to rebuild all your setup - re-route all midi.
I haven't run into the situation of having to rebuild my setup as switching controller doesn't come up that often but you can just save off different setups if you needed it. You can switch a master midi external controller to whatever channel you like and it will flow through AUM just fine. Perhaps I don't grasp what you are pointing out.

My entire point was that you can build 1980s tech stack inside AUM / ipad and trigger it with an MPC, or any old midi sequencer and that is darn cool.

Last edited by jamey777; 16th August 2018 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: bad tags
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamey777 View Post
...I haven't run into the situation of having to rebuild my setup as switching controller doesn't come up that often but you can just save off different setups if you needed it. You can switch a master midi external controller to whatever channel you like and it will flow through AUM just fine. Perhaps I don't grasp what you are pointing out....
Well.... when I connect Linnstrument to iOS device it is recognised as Linnstrument also in AUM or Gadget or anything else - so - you build your setup, make your connections and save your project... then you disconnect your initial controller and connect your Roli or whatever.... it is now recognised as Roli or whatever ... and when you open your saved project boom - your saved controller is missing, there is new controller in the system, which is not assigned (connected) and you have to reassign all your connections. Developers don't code apps with virtual connections what would allow you to teach your daw/host app to new controller just in one place - you have to do it everywhere in your saved project. - that was my point
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have been considering the Digitone and -takt. They are in the right price range and are the "right" size. I'm just unsure of how much you can do with them without using the P-locks (having owned the A4 and the Octatrack, thats what I found to be interesting about them - not the sounds in and of themselves - well, obviously the Octa is a sampler and not a sound generator per se, but I have the MPC for that).
Syncing them to the MPC and having to deal with Elektrons laughable limitations seems more like a masochistic initiation rite into the Elektron cult of obedience than a way to simplify workflow. Despite having long hair and a beard, I'm a few years too old for that particular brand of corporate Kool-aid to have it's intended effect. With that said, If I can shape Digitone sounds "manually" and use midi CCs from the MPC to control them, it might be a pretty good solution.
you arent seriously saying anyone who uses elektron gear is drinking corperate kool aid?

way to try to be superior without actually being remotely that..

early days that company was as far from corperate as it gets.

they certainly have dropped that ball in more recent times, but throwing shade on many many here is downright inept..

did they use your bowl of breakfast cerial as a urinal, so to speak?
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
Novation Circuit
Roland JD-Xi
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe 2S
Teenage Engineering OP-1
Akai MPC Live
Elektron DigiTone
Elektron Digitakt

Just to name a few Grooveboxes.
Op, he is talking about a module mini workstation, not Groovebox and not like the ancient Triton racks, but something different and modern…
Old 16th August 2018
Here for the gear

Get yourself a Gakken NSX-39. Usb midi compliant 15 channel multitimbral Yamaha XG synth with a bonus vocaloid channel and stylophone in a tiny package at a dirt cheap price.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

I strongly advice you to get an Access Virus TI2 desktop or a Snow. If you need rompler sounds in addition, get maybe a Roland XV-2020. Together with the MPC Live, you'll have a kick-a** setup.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
you arent seriously saying anyone who uses elektron gear is drinking corperate kool aid?

way to try to be superior without actually being remotely that..

early days that company was as far from corperate as it gets.

they certainly have dropped that ball in more recent times, but throwing shade on many many here is downright inept..

did they use your bowl of breakfast cerial as a urinal, so to speak?
Kinda ;-) Look, I loved A4 as much as anything I've ever owned. But when trying to use it in a band context it just wasn't up to the task that I needed it for. Had they made a version with midi tracks instead of CV it would have ruled the whole indie-band that needs synth elements without a huge setup-segment. Then, when looking for options - within Elektron - I kinda realized that it's by design. And personally, I can't stand that way of doing business, and want nothing to do with it. Imho it takes a degree of dedication to a company bordering on the dogmatic cult side of things, to not only accept, but applaud limitations ("concepts") that at the end of the day really only make getting stuff done more cumbersome - not to mention more expensive - than need be. I hate that aspect of Apple, as well. I own a Macbook pro only because I've dedicated so many years to Logic. So, yes, I don't have much of problem throwing some shade on Elektron fanboys. You can take it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search