The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Someone please make a compact multitimbral desktop synth! Desktop Synthesizers
Old 1 day ago
  #31
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs1 View Post
I've owned a Blofeld, which I just didn't get on with - especially when in multimode, and a Virus is imho way overpriced (new and used). Though the Snow might be an option. But as mentioned: "Old" stuff.

Now, we can of course debate til the cows come home about old vs new. But that wasn't really my issue when posting: It's not that it's impossible to find something that kind of gets the job done, my point was just that so few are doing anything new on this front (Though there have been a couple of interesting suggestions on this thread).
Well these are two separate issues.

1: Why arent Roland, Korg etc making this

2: What are some suggestions for your situation

I don't know why Roland and Korg aren't doing stuff like this, but it's rather evident now that they arent and wont for whatever reason.

Honestly I personally believe they have this business model where they're afraid of making something complete because they know that would force them to better themselves in the future, which they know they're incapable of because they've gotten rid of the employees that knew what they were doing and replaced them with pretty secreataries or whatever.

They just arent in the game anymore, at the level they were 20+ years ago, especially Roland, unike Access, Waldorf etc.

So suggestions are likely to be of other brands.

I agree that new Viruses are overpriced, but still to this day you'd be hard pressed to find a more powerfull VA or even synth really, new or old. I haven't used a Blofeld, so can't relate to the workflow nor sound, but I'm telling you a used Virus TI is worth every penny.
Old 1 day ago
  #32
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBA View Post
Well these are two separate issues.

1: Why arent Roland, Korg etc making this

2: What are some suggestions for your situation
True. Partly what I need/would like, and partly a general observation/suggestion.

As far as nr 2: Virus would most definitely do the job, but at those prices I think I'll wait for the Valkyrie and get by with my Frankenstein solution of hooking my MPC to Mainstage and playing soft synths.

AFA nr 1: A modern JV 1010 would kind of be my dream come true.
Old 1 day ago
  #33
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs1 View Post
AFA nr 1: A modern JV 1010 would kind of be my dream come true.
Then what about the Integra?
Old 1 day ago
  #34
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
The E-mu Command Stations (XL-7, MP-7, PX-7 and the Proteus 2500) are a pretty good deal, when you consider that they're nearly two decades old in terms of design but still work very well (and do not require a computer to create tracks).

I used one (XL-7 loaded up with additional Beat Garden, Techno Synth Construction Yard and World Expedition ROMs) on a long Amtrak train trip and it was one of the most productive writing sessions I've ever had.
Because of the Commandstation or because you were trapped on a train?
Old 1 day ago
  #35
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBA View Post
Then what about the Integra?
Way too expensive for what is essentially a rompler. An Integra LE would be good, though.
Old 1 day ago
  #36
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
The reason why few companies are making what you’re asking for is because a lot of people are making this:



Something really compact isn’t going to have a great knobby interface. So, most people opt for going ITB or by putting together a small setup that involves multiple small desktop instruments, like the Elektrons or Volcas. Daviddever mentioned the E-Mu Commandstation. I used the sh!t out of one for years. It was the hub of my live rig... until Live. I just found that using a laptop and a Novation Remote 25 SL was preferable in every way. I can even get that old E-MU sound using the Emulator X3 VST. Software like Zebra, Dune, etc, cover everything a Virus can do. Hell, someone even released the TI wavetables for Gladiator. You’ve got world class VA now, like Legend and RePro, that hold their own against any hardware VA, and actually against hardware A. So, that’s what people “in your boat” are mostly doing, which is why there’s not a lot of choices being developed.

So basically, you’re “going to need a bigger boat.”
Old 1 day ago
  #37
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs1 View Post
Way too expensive for what is essentially a rompler. An Integra LE would be good, though.
IMO, when looking for gear for very specific purposes, you should be prepared to pay a bit extra if you actually find something that ticks most boxes. If the plan it was meant for was a good one, solves problems and makes sense, then I say it's worth the extra money.
Old 1 day ago
  #38
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by axs1 View Post
Way too expensive for what is essentially a rompler. An Integra LE would be good, though.
Roland SonicCell
Old 1 day ago
  #39
Gear Maniac
 

Companies that reach a certain size have to sell at a larger volume for it to be worth making a product. Clearly there isn't enough of a market for it be worth the investment money from the likes of Roland, etc. So if you want something like that, expect it to come from a niche supplier at higher cost.

And laptops exist. Laptops easily achieve a wider variety of higher quality sounds at less cost and less use of physical space, plus functionality outside music making. They are superior. FWIW, people also don't buy whale oil to light their homes anymore.
Old 1 day ago
  #40
Ive had most of tge NI and arturua stuff running on a tablet. Using the MPC Live to power an arturis keylab youve got a great little portable setup with knobs and sliders premapped
Old 1 day ago
  #41
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBSoundSmith View Post
Companies that reach a certain size have to sell at a larger volume for it to be worth making a product. Clearly there isn't enough of a market for it be worth the investment money from the likes of Roland, etc. So if you want something like that, expect it to come from a niche supplier at higher cost.

And laptops exist. Laptops easily achieve a wider variety of higher quality sounds at less cost and less use of physical space, plus functionality outside music making. They are superior. FWIW, people also don't buy whale oil to light their homes anymore.
Uh, have you seen who’s running the EPA these days? I would not be surprised...
Old 1 day ago
  #42
Gear Nut
 
guyaguy's Avatar
 

I can't believe there aren't more synths for the boat-dwelling demographic!!!


Oh and just so I'm semi-constructive in this thread:
Analog Four, Digitone, Deluge
Old 15 hours ago
  #43
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyaguy View Post
I can't believe there aren't more synths for the boat-dwelling demographic!!!


Oh and just so I'm semi-constructive in this thread:
Analog Four, Digitone, Deluge
We may be few, but we are serious.

The "synths" you mention shine as sequencers, not as synth modules. Being as I have an MPC, adding additional sequencers seems more a headache than a work flow enhancement.
Old 15 hours ago
  #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by axs1 View Post
We may be few, but we are serious.

The "synths" you mention shine as sequencers, not as synth modules. Being as I have an MPC, adding additional sequencers seems more a headache than a work flow enhancement.
They do have midi inputs. And the diggytone is supposedly a pretty user-friendly interface for dealing with FM, at least that's how it is billed...
Old 14 hours ago
  #45
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
They do have midi inputs. And the diggytone is supposedly a pretty user-friendly interface for dealing with FM, at least that's how it is billed...
I have been considering the Digitone and -takt. They are in the right price range and are the "right" size. I'm just unsure of how much you can do with them without using the P-locks (having owned the A4 and the Octatrack, thats what I found to be interesting about them - not the sounds in and of themselves - well, obviously the Octa is a sampler and not a sound generator per se, but I have the MPC for that).
Syncing them to the MPC and having to deal with Elektrons laughable limitations seems more like a masochistic initiation rite into the Elektron cult of obedience than a way to simplify workflow. Despite having long hair and a beard, I'm a few years too old for that particular brand of corporate Kool-aid to have it's intended effect. With that said, If I can shape Digitone sounds "manually" and use midi CCs from the MPC to control them, it might be a pretty good solution.

Last edited by axs1; 11 hours ago at 08:49 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 14 hours ago
  #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by axs1 View Post
I have been considering the Digitone and -takt. They are in the right price range and are the "right" size. I'm just unsure of how much you can do with them without using the P-locks (having owned the A4 and the Octatrack, thats what I found to be interesting about them - not the sounds in and of themselves - well, obviously the Octa is a sampler and not a sound generator per se, but I have the MPC for that).
Syncing them to the MPC and having to deal with Elektrons laughable limitations seem more like a masochistic initiation rite into the Elektron cult of obedience than a way to simplify workflow. Despite having long hair and a beard, I'm a few years too old for that particular brand of corporate Kool-aid to have it's intended effect. With that said, If I can shape Digitone sounds "manually" and use midi CCs from the MPC to control them, it might be a pretty good solution.
There’s 2 camps when it comes to elektron. Basically glass half full/half empty. Sounds like you’re a little more the latter than the former, which is fine. With that being case though I’d look elsewhere if I were you.
Old 13 hours ago
  #47
Lives for gear
 

Old 12 hours ago
  #48
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs1 View Post
We may be few, but we are serious.
Damn straight!
Old 8 hours ago
  #49
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
It would seem that the Deluge is probably the best solution for my needs. Seems to be an amazing machine that in no way has been intentionally crippled. Flexible, powerful, compact. Sadly it's out of stock. But unless something really smart comes on the market, guess I'll sell the MPC and become a Deluge-guy when the time comes.
Thanks for all the comments (so far). It's been a fun thread.
Old 7 hours ago
  #50
Lives for gear
I still use only qakakwak iniut whale oil in my lamps, gtfoh
Old 7 hours ago
  #51
Lives for gear
And also the digitakt with that freaky send-midi-back-itself cable might actually be one of the best multitimbral soundmodules out these days.

sort of like a poor mans tempest

I like the electribe 2 emx sound engine, but after 3 yrs with it im getting a bit tired of the tone.
My m3 module sounds kinda dated, often in a cool way, still a fantastic piece of kit but underwhelming compared to all the new vsts.
Cant afford and integra neither.
Jv 1010 is sick tho and still quite cheap.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump