The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
An electron style filter? Equalizer Plugins
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear
An electron style filter?

Why has nobody thought of creating a lpf that filters lpf like normal, except can be told how much audio to pass through the filter or audio passing through unfiltered, like say 80% filtered but the rest not? That way you could mellow out the sound but still have a high end sheen if you want? You could tell it how much or use probability every other note or whatever.
Old 13th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Do you mean just running the filter in parallel to the clean signal with a crossfade to control the proportion? You could probably dial that in on a multitimbral synth, and definitely with a decent mixer in a modular.
Old 13th August 2018
Gear Guru

Yeah, I think that’s a great idea. It’s in a number of software synths. The Tempest also lets you choose how much the digital oscillators pass through the filter. It really increases the sonic possibilities.
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear
Yes! I really would find that useful.. I figured you could easily enough with a modular but sadly I don't have that. I was doing it kinda today with my microvolt and its awesome but it would be cool to not have to plug/unplug it, on a modular it would be as big a deal but with the microvolt there are only so many plugs so it's hard. I don't know the tempest could do this! Dave smith is amazing, he should really implement this in more of his stuff, exspecially on the x it would really shine.
Old 13th August 2018
Gear Maniac

The thing with semi-modulars is they seem to exist in order to drive up sales for modules from the same builder. They make you want to buy add-ons to get the results the synth itself doesn't provide.

How were you patching that on the Microvolt? I'm trying to duplicate the effect on my Telemark now. It has similar limitations on how many signals/CVs you can mix.
Old 13th August 2018
Elektron Analog Heat has a stereo VCF and EQ which can then be peeled back with wet/dry.

Yeah, super useful. A wet/dry pedal before a filter pedal can do the same thing. I use the mix% A LOT on Pro-Q2 or Filterfreak all the time ITB.
Old 13th August 2018
PES
Lives for gear

Moogerfooger filter does this, but yeah, not a synth.
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitdough View Post
The thing with semi-modulars is they seem to exist in order to drive up sales for modules from the same builder. They make you want to buy add-ons to get the results the synth itself doesn't provide.

How were you patching that on the Microvolt? I'm trying to duplicate the effect on my Telemark now. It has similar limitations on how many signals/CVs you can mix.
I was sending the other waveforms out from the mixer besides saw that was going through the filter. It has a 2 to1 mixer and I used a stackable to sum the waveforms to go back into the vca that were not going through the filter. It sounded intense to just have the one waveform affected by the filter.
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear
I wish you could plock this on a synth that would be awesome to get filterstepping effects in a stereo field.
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

The Ion/Micron/Miniak does this. It also lets you variably adjust between parallel and serial filtering as opposed to either one or the other.
Old 13th August 2018
PES
Lives for gear

Yeah of course, Matrixbrute with its dual filters in parallel mode can be used like this.
Old 13th August 2018
Gear Head

I think it's a bit more trivial to do in software, but in analog hardware some filter products are phase delayed from the dry signal, so to get a mix without phase cancelation might limit your filter options somewhat.
Old 13th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
I wish you could plock this on a synth that would be awesome to get filterstepping effects in a stereo field.
Get yourself a monomachine or a machinedrum or an octatrack or an analog 4...

Last edited by twisted_space; 13th August 2018 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: additions
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

You can do it with a patchbay and a mixer to split the signals.
Or Analog Heat.
Old 13th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
I was sending the other waveforms out from the mixer besides saw that was going through the filter. It has a 2 to1 mixer and I used a stackable to sum the waveforms to go back into the vca that were not going through the filter. It sounded intense to just have the one waveform affected by the filter.
Oh, cool. Good idea. I was using the same waveform and routing it to filter and direct to VCA from the mixer, but it wasn't that effective. It did sound slightly richer though, at some mix levels.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search