The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Oberheim OB-8 different versions - exterior panels compatible? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Oberheim OB-8 different versions - exterior panels compatible?

My OB-8 is one that has the MIDI connections going through the side panel. When I got it, it was 100% functional and sounded great but had some damage to the exterior (front panel and wooden side panels), resulting in it being very affordable. I am currently talking to a guy who will sell me his non-functioning OB-8 for cheap. It has nice front and side panels and I would love to buy it and swap them out for the funky panels on mine. His is one of the models where the MIDI connections are in the back of the unit. Other than that, I can't see any differences between the two versions. As long as the MIDI connectors on the inside of mine are able to reach the connecting point on the back, are there any other challenges for me to be worried about? Or should I be able to simply swap parts as needed?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

The first OB8's were pre-MIDI. Oberheim offered a retrofit which came with a new wood side panel that had the MIDI ports in a cut out. Later OB8's had factory MIDI with the ports cut into the back of the metal cabinet. Later editions have the Page 2 functions labeled on the front panel. Some very early OB8's may have Pratt-Read keyboards as used on the OBX, OBX-a, Prophet 5 and many other Synths. Most OB8's have Panasonic Keyboards which are about twelve pounds lighter than the Pratt-Read and cost less reducing manufacturing expense. When the Panasonic keyboards become noisy they require new felt strips rather than new key bushings as with the Pratt-Read. There also was an engineering change order regarding power supply capacitors so early models may have different capacitor values in the power supply.
Old 2 days ago
There are also different revisions of the voice boards. The older have CEM3360 VCAs per voice and later use CA3080 VCAs. Also, there are voice boards that are labeled and boards that are not. I don’t know about the ECO for PSU capacitors, but there is definitely an ECO to replace one of the rectifiers. It’s easy to tell if it needs changed as the PCB will probably be a little brown around the weak rectifier.

The CPU/MIDI interface is near the center of the synth with cables running across to the left end with the MIDI jacks. You may as well just connect the existing rear panel MIDI I/O from the other OB-8 to your CPU/MIDI board. The cables just plug into the interface, at least on your version of OB-8. Though, I’ve never seen one with the rear panel MIDI myself. So I can’t really say for certain that everything will be backwards compatible. There is a possibility that screw mounts may be diffferent in location which would be a problem. You would think that things like that wouldn’t change between revisions, but you never know.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Thanks, FabGear. Yes I’m fairly up on the various versions of the OB-8 and what they entail. What I’m wondering is whether parts from one version will fit with other versions. For instance are the midi cables from the kit in the first version long enough to reach the back panel if I move all the pcbs from my current one to the outer shell of the later one. Will PCBs all sit with the screw holes in the same place? Etc, etc. I’m very happy to be gaining the labels for page two functions. That’s another reason I’d like to do this.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

BM0 - yes, exactly. You would hope that everything would match up but there’s no guarantee. I’d hate to get this thing here and have PCB holes not line up. I basically want to take all the innards of mine and put them in the shell of the other one. Or if possible, separate the top and bottom of the new shell and just replace the top/front panel.
Old 2 days ago
I believe @dougt is familiar with both revisions. Maybe he knows for certain if they are interchangeable.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
I believe @dougt is familiar with both revisions. Maybe he knows for certain if they are interchangeable.
Oh cool. I'll drop him a line. Thanks!
Old 1 day ago
Conveniently there is this parts OB-8 on eBay right now with a good picture of the inside without the processor and voice boards. It is one with the page two labeled panel. From memory, the PCB mounts all look to be in the right place as far as I can tell. And the MIDI sockets look to have the exact same cables as the model with the retrofit (much shorter of course).
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
Conveniently there is this parts OB-8 on eBay right now with a good picture of the inside without the processor and voice boards. It is one with the page two labeled panel. From memory, the PCB mounts all look to be in the right place as far as I can tell. And the MIDI sockets look to have the exact same cables as the model with the retrofit (much shorter of course).
I was actually checking out that listing today. Sounds like it may work. I suppose I could always sell the parts if for some reason it doesn't. Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search