The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
An Idea for Korg Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

An Idea for Korg

So got to thinking been a fan of Korg's recent output the last 5-6 years from the monotribe upwards etc. They haven't had many miss steps till the recent issues for some with the Prologue. This is just an idea they could consider and for others to chime in on how they may feel about such an idea/add to etc.

A good money spinner and no brainer to claw back some cash would be a an expanded Volca Fm. Same size and build as the Minilogue. Priced the same. Hell they've already done the ground work with the Fm. Add in the ground work they put into the Prologue digital side maybe. They could even make it 64 note polyphony for laughs like the Roland Gaia if needs be as it's digital so who cares.

It would sell like HOT cakes. We've recently had a retro 80's revival and about to head into a 90's no doubt so it could cover a lot of ground. The Roland recent System 8 FM update sounds great having a knobby control over FM and even the EDM crowd are hankering for a knobby hands on FM control.

I love my Volca Fm but it's time for a mid ground £400ish Fm to upgrade to. They could get as weird as they like with the design. Break new ground for the times the way the DX7 of D-50 did.

The only reason I think I think they should consider it other than my lust and others is the Prologue debacle. I don't have a Prologue but I think on paper it was a great idea, however, it started at £2000 and £1500 for the 16 voice and 8 voice and is already down £500 on both and having tuning issues etc.

I happen to think the Prologue may become a future classic by having a short shelf life and if they correct it's issues it may be seen in 20 years as a new Jupiter 8 or 808, in that not many were produced before they halted it, and it becomes some beast in the wild.

So because the Prologue is more than likely not such a great money spinner for Korg unlike the Minilogue where they were clawing it in hand over fist, a quick easy money spinner is the knobby FM in the interim while they sort out the Pro's issues. It's guaranteed to fly off the shelves £400ish is the sweet spot.

Thoughts?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

FM is not Analog you dont need a knobby interface.

The Volca FM is a stripped down version of the MOD 7 engine Korg has put in several syths most recently the Kronos.

What would be a big seller for Korg would be to make a stand alone synth withh the full Mod 7 engine and the full M1 engine with all of the available ROM expansions

So you have both in one synth that could be layered
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Personally I doubt that a Korg knobby FM+digital osc with mini-keys would take the world by storm like the DX7 and D50. FM and romplers aren't so new anymore. Also, I have a feeling that they'll sort the Prolog's tuning issue before they could produce a new FM synth, unless it already has been developed behind the scenes. I have no doubt it would sell, tho.

I think if the Prolog becomes a future classic it will be because someone famous does something famous and maybe genre defining with it. This may happen once people start getting freaky with the digital osc. That's what's unique about the Prolog, and what can set it apart from other analog synths. It already sounds good -- but you need more than that to be a future classic. They'll fix the bug, and they'll sell mad crazy numbers, so it shouldn't be scarce. If they don't sell many, they'll probably abandon the SDK, but that doesn't seem likely to me.

FTR, I love the Minilog with guitar pedals, but I won't get a Prolog unless the SDK fosters some brilliant sh!t.
Old 1 week ago
I’ve said it before: Microkorg FM.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I certainly would like knobs on an FM-synth. But would like it to be DX7 sized.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search