The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DSI Prophet 08 in 2018? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 13th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsetto View Post
For me.... Rev2 does not need its effects. A little, quick programming gets compelling sound. (User presets could be starting points.) Sometimes, I prefer more sound manipulating features over raw sound quality.

When playing a Rev2 limited to '08 features & ignoring possibility of sound differences, I can imagine why an '08 is useful.
Yeah it doesn't need fx. No synth "needs" fx really. Just depends on what you want to do with it. But the awesome thing about the Rev2 is how integrated the fx are. The delays are MIDI-syncable and all 3 parameters are mod destinations. With 1 effect, 4 LFOs, 3 EGs and 4 sequencers per layer, and a 8xmod matrix per layer, you can have around 40 automated modulators per patch controlling the fx--plus, mod wheel, breath, exp, etc.
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

Agreed
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

I do think that a REV2 offers additional benefits compared to P'08, namely continuously adjustable waveforms across all available shapes. That alone should make you want P'08 much less.
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I do think that a REV2 offers additional benefits compared to P'08, namely continuously adjustable waveforms across all available shapes. That alone should make you want P'08 much less.
Yes, I agree. I don't see any point buying a used P08 at the prices people are asking. An 8 voice Rev 2 isn't much more, and can be upgraded to 16 voice.

It would look awesome if they released a clear illuminated Pitch/Mod wheel upgrade.
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
The ones I saw on Ebay and Gumtree seemed pretty evenly priced. Maybe its not the same everywhere.

Btw, Here's the comparison vid with the comments.

Can someone explain why the P08 sounds better in this video (or maybe not?)? Is it just because the stereofield is wider?
First patch: Rev2 is better, second patch P08 sounds better (wider). Listen to 3:45: solon swell wtf?
Old 13th August 2018
Gear Addict

That patch sounds mono to me on the REV2.
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
Can someone explain why the P08 sounds better in this video (or maybe not?)? Is it just because the stereofield is wider?
First patch: Rev2 is better, second patch P08 sounds better (wider). Listen to 3:45: solon swell wtf?
I found the scaling on some of the parameters to be a bit different between the P’08 and Rev2. For example, I needed to up the level of noise on the Rev2 to match how the same patch sounded on the ‘08. Pan spread is another one where the Rev2 requires a higher value to match the ‘08.

With a little bit of tweaking, I managed to get all my ‘08 patches to sound near-enough identical on the Rev2.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Have to say, when I first heard the very first demos of the REV-2 I wasn't very impressed, but now listening to stuff people have done after experimenting after having it for some time, i'm hearing some really good stuff.
Old 28th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have to say, when I first heard the very first demos of the REV-2 I wasn't very impressed, but now listening to stuff people have done after experimenting after having it for some time, i'm hearing some really good stuff.
I concur. After 'upgrading' from a Prophet-08 to and REV2 ... I was singularly unimpressed by the quality of the effects, and the the fact that (lame, really) you cannot put the two effects in series, as the effects are per-8-voice card.

Having lived with it a bit, I can attest that having (essentially) a 16-voice P8 is a blessing, and it's nice to have a touch of 'verb, chorus or delay onboard. The additional waveshaping functions and modulation routing really do take it to the next level, once you learn how to work with them.

It's not an easy instrument to work with IMHO. It has a wild quality to it, and you have to work to find its sweet spots ... but wow what sweet spots there are to be found!. (As is typical, the factory presets do not do justice!).

And it really does have that "Prophet thing" about it ... it's almost acoustic in quality ... like some strange physical object being plucked, struck or bowed.

Can't live without it in my rig.

It covers sooooo much territory once you know how to coax it ... lots of great 24db warmth and 12db harmonic richness if you know where to look.

It's really (second only to Moog and Roland SH-2) an incredible source of both bone-shattering and soul-filling bass tones as well ... ooof the places you can go.

And there isn't anything wrong with a Prophet-08 in 2018 either!
Old 28th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree too. I love working with my other dsi synths, easy workflow which doesn't hamper my creativity, plus modern conveniences = put it on my radar
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search