The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-8 can I update 7x7 machine without fear of losing the 7x7 license? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Roland TR-8 can I update 7x7 machine without fear of losing the 7x7 license?

Hi,

I've just bought a TR8 which came with the 7x7 license pre-installed. I understand this license is not transferrable.
When I do the version check sequence as per Rolands instructions
Quote:
Hold down Pad [ 14 ] and [ 16 ], and switch on the power.
The [ START/STOP ] button blink.
Press the [ START/STOP ] button.
The current version is displayed with three digits on the display.
( When Version 1.60 is used: 160 )
Mine says 112

Slightly confused as I thought the firmware needed to be 1.20 minimum for 7x7?

My main question is if I upgrade the firmware to 1.60 (current) - will I need to reinstall a 7x7 license afterwards....which I obviously do not have! Or will it just upgrade the firmware and retain the license? (please please please)

Thanks.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedredd View Post
Hi,

I've just bought a TR8 which came with the 7x7 license pre-installed. I understand this license is not transferrable.
When I do the version check sequence as per Rolands instructions

Mine says 112

Slightly confused as I thought the firmware needed to be 1.20 minimum for 7x7?

My main question is if I upgrade the firmware to 1.60 (current) - will I need to reinstall a 7x7 license afterwards....which I obviously do not have! Or will it just upgrade the firmware and retain the license? (please please please)

Thanks.
You should be OK, there was an install method to put 7X7 on the machine, any subsequent firmware updates that feature enhancement for 7X7 upgraded TR-8's will add them features too(like the 606 added in later firmware to units with 7X7 installed only). The latest firmware just knows(finds) 7X7 is installed that is all.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
You should be OK, there was an install method to put 7X7 on the machine, any subsequent firmware updates that feature enhancement for 7X7 upgraded TR-8's will add them features too(like the 606 added in later firmware to units with 7X7 installed only). The latest firmware just knows(finds) 7X7 is installed that is all.
So happy to hear that. Thank you!
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Just to confirm for anyone else in the future - this did work. Upgraded the firmware as per Rolands advice.
Side note: Instead of saying 707 when it powers up it now says 606.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search