The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Larry Heard sounds Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Larry Heard sounds

1. YouTube

[1:05] This seems like a sort of common pad sound in house stuff. I guess the sound could be replicated with a number of synths but I love that tone. I'm guessing it's some kind of Roland (maybe with chorus?).

Ideas?

2. YouTube

I hear the bass in this in a lot of Larry Heard songs and other house tracks.

Thanks!!

Last edited by mr.danielnewell; 5 days ago at 03:24 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Yeah he used a Jupiter 6 and a Juno 60 in his early years, that’s pretty well documented. All played by hand too before he found out that there was such a things as sequencers in the world! That’s why his bass lines and melodies have such an organic and soulful feel to them.

Love Larry Heard, his sound and style is amazing.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonpanic View Post
larry heard equipment from May 1992

D-series will give you that kind of vibe.

That gear list is awesome. Thank you. I'll look into the D-series. I had a JX3P and it had similar tone...
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardsOfBurnley View Post
Yeah he used a Jupiter 6 and a Juno 60 in his early years, that’s pretty well documented. All played by hand too before he found out that there was such a things as sequencers in the world! That’s why his bass lines and melodies have such an organic and soulful feel to them.

Love Larry Heard, his sound and style is amazing.
Yeah I've seen mention of the Jupiter 6 and Juno 60 in a lot of "Can You feel it" posts.

Ha yup I remember reading that re: him playing by hand. Even after sequencers I think he still plays a lot by hand! So true, his stuff definitely has a lot of feel. The best!

Any guesses on the bass on my second link? It might be a Roland too I'm just not that familiar with Roland bass sounds.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

To be honest i’m nowhere near clued up enough on all the synths in the world to be able to identify them on tracks, certainly not on something like this. It almost sounds like a sampled bass guitar to me in parts!

To be honest though you could probably get close enough for it not to really make any difference with practically any nice sounding analog synth. You probably only need one oscillator, on a saw wave, plenty of cut off (the knob or slider right near the bottom), a nice bit of resonance to round it up a bit. Fast attack, high decay and sustain, fast release. Sounds like a pretty basic bass patch really.

What synths do you use?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search