The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's the most aggressive sounding Synthesizer? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Kja
Lives for gear
artisan ottava with osc anywhere past 8 breaks apart, all the way to indestinguishable big muff sounding saturation with tiny hints at the root note. Detuned with all three oscillators is instant Trent reznor.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Oh, that's GREAT to hear! I have a System-1m and I always thought it sounded too polite! Got an Aira Bitrazor too, but haven't had a chance to hook everything up yet. Looking forward to it now!
The S1 can also sound a lot darker and more aggressive by turning the Tone knob down. Also overdriving the filter with the osc's helps a lot.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I’m going Bass Station 2.... feedback via the headphone out,

What is this lil trick I've not heard of?!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

SH-2 with sync mod + headphone out back in to audio in with main volume at near full, with a helping of resonance..... watch out!

I say this because I own and love the SH-2, but this applies to any decent fat mono synth that can route back through (i.e minimoog etc).

Outside of that type of aggro I can think of harsh and biting as 'aggressive', and not in a good way, s***ty synths I've not liked that sound overly aggressive but can't do soft/musical to save their life... usually poly synths, typically curtis, mostly DCO with AGGRESSIVE/Cold but biting filters (AX-80 I had could be like that)

As others said, most synths put through guitar pedal o/d - distortion. Even the wimpy JX-10 sounds quite aggro on Duran's 'all she wants is' because it's played through a distortion pedal (Info From NR himself).

Sub 37 with the LFO on the filter, high res, lots of multidrive, sweep the res + LFO speeds inversely and it'll cry out in agony, pretty cool... one of it's saving graces (not so good at musical and smooth moogyness as the oscs are a bit hollow/nasal vs old moog)

Or failing all that, probably a DX7 that's been abused on stage by Trent Reznor and is hanging around outside after the gig, plenty pissed, looking for trouble. Esp if it's had a few to dull the pain.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggotspawn View Post
Run your synth through a Boss Metal Zone. Instantaneous gnarlynous. If that's a word.
Even better with a digitech death metal.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
Have you heard the S1000? It sounds like a mix between a broken piece of machinery and a dying cat.

It’s a very unpleasant, almost one-dimensional synth. It’s incapable of sounding melodic and pretty overpriced for having such a narrow range of tones.

However it is undoubtedly the most aggressive synth I have ever heard

Collection of demo snippets. Sold new for $2,500 and used prices can be higher:

I think this is one of those "so bad it's so good" kinda sound.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Nord mk1 can be aggressive in a nice way of course.But very chaotic gnarly.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post
It’s the old Model D trick. Take the headphone out, split it and route one half back into the audio out. Use the mixer to add it back in. Adjust input gain to taste. I think being able to crank the input gain (it’s one of the alt-key commands) is what makes it so good, as you’re distorting the input and adding the feedback. It’s gloriously evil sounding.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
artisan ottava with osc anywhere past 8 breaks apart, all the way to indestinguishable big muff sounding saturation with tiny hints at the root note. Detuned with all three oscillators is instant Trent reznor.
Why have I not even heard of this one? I’m checking out the demos now. Very nice. This kind of synth is exactly what I like... loopable DAHDSRs that sync to MIDI? Yes please! Too bad I’ve got no room for one.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

was the question phrased "what.................
........thru effects"?

cause seems to me it was about a synths raw abilities.
as some have said "any synth thru any dist effect"
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
was the question phrased "what.................
........thru effects"?

cause seems to me it was about a synths raw abilities.
as some have said "any synth thru any dist effect"
That is because there is no synth on the planet that doesn't have overdrive/distortion onboard and can come close to the combo of synth + external effect of your choice.
Simply no point.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
That is because there is no synth on the planet that doesn't have overdrive/distortion onboard and can come close to the combo of synth + external effect of your choice.
Simply no point.
It’s still not appropriate to this thread. Start a “what effects do you like to run your synth though for aggressive sounds” thread.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post
Hear a bit at 2:20:
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

My Prophet 12, with no external assistance from distortion boxes or other effects, can get me into a VERY "aggressive" mode ... it's all in the design, architecture and will of the programmer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Might want an instance of Izotope Trash 2 in the signal chain, hell, summa you REAL badasses might chain multiple instances.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Polivoks, baby.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

The Q. The XT would be a close second I think. On the analog side, probably a Serge modular.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3rk View Post
The Q. The XT would be a close second I think. On the analog side, probably a Serge modular.
funny, a certain oscillator comes to mind when I think of "agressive".
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
funny, a certain oscillator comes to mind when I think of "agressive".
Almost forgot about that guy

I suppose a modicum of Harvestman modules would fit the description of aggressive too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshine0 View Post
Title
"Reply".

This is just a lazy thread. What will happen is everyone will name their favorite synths and effects as usual, and it is all meaningless, because the OP stared a lazy, undefined thread.

A better thread:

Define "synthesizer". Analog, digital, software? Does it include samplers?

Define the signal path. Does it include effects? (Going by OP reply below, yes).

Define 'aggressive'. This is such a wide ranging term. Seems the OP just means 'distorted', but couldn't be bothered to say that.

You should also define the musical setting. An aggressive synth in an R+B track is different from an aggressive one in an industrial noise track.

Finally, the OP should give examples of tracks they think have aggressive synths in them, so everyone has a jump off point.

Quote:
Even better with a digitech death metal.
Even betterer with two. Or three!

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz View Post
"Reply".

This is just a lazy thread. What will happen is everyone will name their favorite synths and effects as usual, and it is all meaningless, because the OP stared a lazy, undefined thread.

A better thread:

Define the signal path. Does it include effects? (Going by OP reply below, yes).

Define 'aggressive'. This is such a wide ranging term. Seems the OP just means 'distorted', but couldn't be bothered to say that.

You should also define the musical setting. An aggressive synth in an R+B track is different from an aggressive one in an industrial noise track.

Finally, the OP should give examples of tracks they think have aggressive synths in them, so everyone has a jump off point.

Why you are so mad about this? People are sharing their favourites synths and what's wrong with that? Anyone has their own definition of "aggressive" and it wouldn't have been fun at all if I had certain criteria such as:"only analog synths from the 80s with distortion pedals".
And what did you mean by define synthesizer? A synth is a synth no matter if it's analog digital or whatever.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
Any synth run through overdrive?
This.

TB303 is a great example. A ****ty little thin sounding synth that becomes a monster with a Rat.

I use to use all my guitar FX on my DX100 back in the day. Chorus and distortion work wonders on those old 4ops.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
"Reply".

A better thread:

I love this reply. Why? Because it’s invariably the same thoughts that go through my head every time threads similar to this one pop up.

I mean are we talking aggressive within the context of Shoegaze or in the context of Black Metal?

Without such qualification the results are another list of every synth ever made.

WTF does aggressive mean? Howling resonance? Distortion? Extra punchy envelopes? A violent paint job?

This post by 7hz should be automatically inserted into all threads of this sort by default.

There should also be a sticky thread that contains an actual list of all synths ever made so it’s a simple matter to refer the authors of vague lazy threads to it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why you are so mad about this? People are sharing their favourites synths and what's wrong with that? Anyone has their own definition of "aggressive" and it wouldn't have been fun at all if I had certain criteria such as:"only analog synths from the 80s with distortion pedals".
And what did you mean by define synthesizer? A synth is a synth no matter if it's analog digital or whatever.
I'm just being grumpy. But also, giving you a hard time because you put no effort into your thread. You are talking to potentially some very experienced and knowledgeable people who can give some real advice, and throwing that away.

Ok a synth is a synth. So we can include a full Buchla modular, through 30 fuzz pedals feeding into 20 Marshal stacks set on 11, recorded in a huge cave with valve mics from the 40's, at full saturation level onto 1" 2 track tape.

Without parameters, you just end up with nonsense.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
invariably the same thoughts that go through my head every time threads similar to this one pop up.
LOL cheers...

A bit of rage against humanity is good every now and then.

You know. "Aggressive".

Old 1 week ago
Quote:
LOL cheers...

A bit of rage against humanity is good every now and then.

You know. "Aggressive".

That’s pretty much all I feel right now. A crushing hangover from last nights Marilyn Manson + Rob Zombie concert does that to you.
Not to mention hearing The Beautiful People at those volume levels is enough to make a Nun want to start a bar brawl
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post

I use to use all my guitar FX on my DX100 back in the day. Chorus and distortion work wonders on those old 4ops.
You just described my synth rig in 1984.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
A crushing hangover from last nights Marilyn Manson + Rob Zombie concert
1996 called and wants its concert back.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search