The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer - The Cat
Old 9th August 2018
  #1
Gear Addict
Behringer - The Cat

So, this morning Behringer teased this on Facebook:

Behringer - The Cat-behringer_cat.jpg

Knowing what we know of earlier 'leaks', and comparing with the original layout...

Behringer - The Cat-6201665637_dd1296c539_b.jpg

It's pretty clear it's inspired by Octave 'The Cat', plus some additional patch points....
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer - The Cat-behringer_cat.jpg   Behringer - The Cat-6201665637_dd1296c539_b.jpg  
Old 9th August 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Entrainer's Avatar
 

Wait, so you're telling me that I can take two square waves, blend them, and put them into a filter?

Do you think the world is ready for that?
Old 9th August 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
 
ArtFluids's Avatar
I remember watching this video last year and being surprised at how good this thing sounded. The used prices reflect that too lol. If it sounds the real deal then this is on my list along with the Pro-One (and the *hopefully* inevitable Arp 2600).
Sorry Behringer, the Neutron is very interesting but bring on the clones!

Old 9th August 2018
  #4
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
prefer if it was a keyboard than another module.
Old 9th August 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
Nope, the layout is totally The Cat.
Old 9th August 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 
WozNYC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK777 View Post

Behringer - The Cat
Looks like it will require a lot of maintenance. I'm out.

Behringer - The Cat-cat.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer - The Cat-cat.jpg  
Old 9th August 2018
  #7
Registered User
 

Behringer is on a roll, I can't keep up like this... But I hope they don't hurry things... less is more...
Old 9th August 2018
  #8
Deleted b6e9904
Guest
Are any of thes clones actually out yet? Apart from the moog?
Old 9th August 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
 

If Behr was a kit company, releasing loaded PCBs, they'd be on a roll.

I hope they're not like me, always starting projects...
Old 9th August 2018
  #10
Gear Addict
Layout matches exactly, they've just moved the envelope section from top left to the bottom right..

Behringer - The Cat-cat-proof.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer - The Cat-cat-proof.jpg  
Old 9th August 2018
  #11
Gear Addict
So @Uli-Behringer;, there's a hole in my studio that would fit one of these nicely..

... Just sayin'... ;-)
Old 9th August 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
The Cat sounds incredible.

It also has crappy build quality.

Real crap. Hard to keep working.

If this sounds like the real thing - Uli did the universe a favor.

It might actually be better than owning the original.
Old 9th August 2018
  #13
Gear Addict
 
adhmzaiusz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
The Cat sounds incredible.

It also has crappy build quality.

Real crap. Hard to keep working.

If this sounds like the real thing - Uli did the universe a favor.

It might actually be better than owning the original.
The cat has a thick metal chassis and real wood sides. It has plastic shaft pots just like most synths of the time. The components used are also same grade as any synth. The workmanship inside is on par with any synth I’ve seen, at least on the SRM. I own two (used to be 3 SRMs) and have no clue what some people are talking about... they are one of the easiest synths to service, parts are still available save a few things like ssm chips. The only issue I have is the Pratt Read keybed is a chore to keep from double triggering.

I really don’t understand why people constantly gripe about The Cat’s build quality... it’s so much better than many other synths (ie pro one)
Old 9th August 2018
  #14
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhmzaiusz View Post
The cat has a thick metal chassis and real wood sides. It has plastic shaft pots just like most synths of the time. The components used are also same grade as any synth. The workmanship inside is on par with any synth I’ve seen, at least on the SRM. I own two (used to be 3 SRMs) and have no clue what some people are talking about... they are one of the easiest synths to service, parts are still available save a few things like ssm chips. The only issue I have is the Pratt Read keybed is a chore to keep from double triggering.

I really don’t understand why people constantly gripe about The Cat’s build quality... it’s so much better than many other synths (ie pro one)
The keyboard.... and the trimmers, the trimmers

Mine was always a hassle to keep working
Old 9th August 2018
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhmzaiusz View Post
I really don’t understand why people constantly gripe about The Cat’s build quality... it’s so much better than many other synths (ie pro one)
I think if you do a search you'll find that most of those comments come from drockfresh. Just an example of how mass opinion can be changed by a very small number of people (or just one) on the internet if they just keep repeating an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
The keyboard.... and the trimmers, the trimmers
Mine was always a hassle to keep working
You've got a point there though. The CV trimmers scattered throughout the board on the CAT are some sort of plastic crap component that either get dusty/dirty often, or just fail completely. Those were a bad choice. I cleaned my trimmers with fader lube a few months ago and haven't had a problem since (fingers crossed). But aside from that, it is built much better than my old Pro-One (plastic construction, faulty power supply, membrane keyboard...)

Regarding the Behringer version, I'll be curious to see what they did in the filter section. My CAT is an early model with a discrete filter using CA3080 OTAs. Later produciton used the SSM2040 chip in the filter, which sounds fantastic as well - virtually no difference in sound compared to the discrete filter. But a while ago I had an SRM II version for a bit and the filter sounded weaker by comparison. I've read that the SRM II might have switched to an SSM2044 filter chip, which would explain the difference. But I never opened it up to check before selling it. Anyway, I'm glad to see Behringer producing these things. It's an excellent synth that doesn't get as much attention as it deserves.

Last edited by soundxplorer; 9th August 2018 at 04:03 PM..
Old 9th August 2018
  #16
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
I think if you do a search you'll find that most of those comments come from drockfresh. Just an example of how mass opinion can be changed by a very small number of people (or just one) on the internet if they just keep repeating an opinion.
It just my one opinion from the one synth that i had.

Please internet DO NOT TAKE MY OPINION AS FACT.

I AM NOT A SYNTH TECH

I had a good one he couldn't get the cat working 100% reliably, but someone may have poured beer on the one I had for all I know.

Or it may have just been possesed
Old 9th August 2018
  #17
Gear Nut
 

Excited about this one. I've been hoping for a stable Cat clone for years now, but figured no one would ever do it.

As for build quality, the Cat in my studio is probably the most finicky synth I own. Even after lots of time under the hood, still has problems here and there.
Old 9th August 2018
  #18
Gear Addict
 
adhmzaiusz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
The keyboard.... and the trimmers, the trimmers

Mine was always a hassle to keep working
The trimmers clean easily with any silicon contact cleaner, they are crummy if not attended to for sure and can make entire sections not work. But these same type of trimmers are in many other synths too and once taken care of will be fine
Old 9th August 2018
  #19
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhmzaiusz View Post
The trimmers clean easily with any silicon contact cleaner, they are crummy if not attended to for sure and can make entire sections not work. But these same type of trimmers are in many other synths too and once taken care of will be fine
Yeah my tech cursed the trimmers and wanted to replace them

I think he had actually worked for Octave Plateau at some point back in the day

I am glad that yours are working - they are a great synth!

Also - my Cat was not taken care of over the years
Old 9th August 2018
  #20
more of this....
Old 9th August 2018
  #21
Gear Maniac
 

There's a cool add-on mentioned at the end of the GForce video. Behringer should include that as part of the synth.
Old 9th August 2018
  #22
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
If the model D is a Boog, and the pro one is a Bro one is this one a Behringer Bat?
Old 9th August 2018
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Klonfocius's Avatar
Why is people interested in squarish kazzo sounds? Its boooooring!
Old 9th August 2018
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Way more leaks than available products.

This one is a definite maybe for me though.
Old 9th August 2018
  #25
Lives for gear
 

A Crumar Spirit would be even cooler...

And a module option would be killer in any case, this, the Odyssey, all of them.
Old 9th August 2018
  #26
Lives for gear
Old 9th August 2018
  #27
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
Way more leaks than available products.

This one is a definite maybe for me though.
This isn't a 'leak'. Behringer posted it themselves on their own Facebook page...
Old 10th August 2018
  #28
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK777 View Post
This isn't a 'leak'. Behringer posted it themselves on their own Facebook page...
OK then - way more facebook announcements of projects than there are actual units available for sale.

Maybe they're taking lessons from Waldorf about product rollouts.
Old 10th August 2018
  #29
Lives for gear
Slow motion is better than no motion
Old 10th August 2018
  #30
Gear Addict
 

If they're cloning an Octave/Plateau product, why wouldn't they clone the Voyetra 8?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump