The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FOG - fear of gear
Old 31st July 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Idk I never could relate to the whole “get rid of your tv and do more other stuff” mentality. I don’t love tv more than making art or anything, but tv is fine if you don’t sit around wasting all day every day like a moron.

I’ve had tons of friends sanctimoniously ditch their TVs in their 20’s as part of their sociopolitical hipsterisms, only to buy much bigger TVs when the get married or had kids a few years later. Plus I love the ones who sell their TVs in a big sweeping gesture but they still manage to stay up on game of thrones or whatever, because somehow that is different. Give me a break.

A tv is a monitor, nothing more. If you choose to put idiotic things on the monitor it’s on you imo. Sell your tv, give it away, throw it out the window. Nothing is stopping a TV owner from reading a book or making music. The presence of a TV doesn’t guarantee stupidity or a culture-less existence, unless that’s what you want out of life of course.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Idk I never could relate to the whole “get rid of your tv and do more other stuff” mentality.
I understand what you mean. In my own case, I did it not necessarily to become more productive but because there wasn't so much on that interested me.

I preferred to order the complete Star Trek TNG, Voyager and Deep Space Nine on DVD and just watch that.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I understand what you mean. In my own case, I did it not necessarily to become more productive but because there wasn't so much on that interested me.

I preferred to order the complete Star Trek TNG, Voyager and Deep Space Nine on DVD and just watch that.
Totally! My failing old eyes need a big screen for Picard’s big bald head! STNG was a total fave. Did it ever seem weird to you that he had a French name but a British accent?

I watch world news in the morning while waking up. Sometimes at dinner we’ll watch something as a family - ninja warrior is my daughters favorite, I like public tv shows like Stephen Hawking’s Genius, Nova and the like. My wife and I watch series together like game of thrones, handmaids tale, and ozark. I also enjoy the sh1t out of Family Guy heh.

All that and I still spend hours a day at the controls of my space station or walking or reading or anything I want. Anything can be distraction to keep you away from your gear or an anchor to drag you down if you let it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Anything can be distraction to keep you away from your gear or an anchor to drag you down if you let it.
Indeed.

Actually, there's another reason I got rid of the TV and that was to avoid having to pay the obligatory license fee anyone who owns a television has to pay in Germany regardless of how much (or how little) they watch.

A recent change in the laws, however, now requires owners of computers to pay as well. So now I'm back to paying.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Did it ever seem weird to you that he had a French name but a British accent?
It's been a long time since I watched it, and I missed the episode where he visited his brother in France, but I knew he was supposed to have grown up in France. So I went and checked and apparently in the Star Trek universe the French language became obscure by the 24th century, so Picard grew up in France speaking English with an English accent. To be honest I find the idea that the regional accent would have been replaced with a thespian english accent to be one of the less believable aspects of the Star Trek universe!

And now for some, errr, inspirational STTNG shreds

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows View Post
To be honest I find the idea that the regional accent would have been replaced with a thespian english accent to be one of the less believable aspects of the Star Trek universe!
Really? That's interesting. What strikes me more is how well these pre-industrial Vulcans speak English!

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Really? That's interesting. What strikes me more is how well these pre-industrial Vulcans speak English!
Well, I didnt say how many other things also linger in the less believable category. I certainly believe it is more likely that I might actually make a song I am happy with one day than that Rikers man-spreading was acceptable in the 24th century
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Had no idea Leland Palmer was a Vulcan!
Old 1st August 2018 | Show parent
TNC
Lives for gear

It's simple.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
Had no idea Leland Palmer was a Vulcan!
Well spotted! I did find last years Twin Peaks quite creatively inspiring, but I wasnt in a position with my time to act on these feelings then, planning to rewatch again this month and hope it gets the juices flowing again in the same way!
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Definitely interested to hear the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows View Post
Well spotted! I did find last years Twin Peaks quite creatively inspiring, but I wasnt in a position with my time to act on these feelings then, planning to rewatch again this month and hope it gets the juices flowing again in the same way!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
Definitely interested to hear the results
Cheers! I am mostly in gear learning mode until I manage to get a Quantum and become reasonable at using it, and the main mission for me is combining music (or some soundscapes vaguely resembling music) with a realtime 3D fluid simulation (that is more like smoke than liquid, and not entirely dissimilar to some of what replaced David Bowie in the last twin peaks series). So there might not be anything to see or hear for some time, but when it eventually happens I will be sure to post here and start a new thread if applicable at the time.
Old 2nd August 2018
Gear Maniac

I read manuals... for gear I'm probably not going to acquire.
Old 2nd August 2018 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
A tv is a monitor, nothing more. If you choose to put idiotic things on the monitor it’s on you imo. Sell your tv, give it away, throw it out the window. Nothing is stopping a TV owner from reading a book or making music. The presence of a TV doesn’t guarantee stupidity or a culture-less existence, unless that’s what you want out of life of course.
Very true, also true for social media, the internet and forums, heh.

Like it is for all tools, they have no inherrent value or use other than what is imparted by the user/beholder.
I suppose this would also follow for the type, amount or configuration of a studio and the extent of the interactions and the output between noodler, knobbler and synth or drum machine.

Enjoyable thread...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Joking aside, I still maintain getting rid of my television was a good decision. I feel like it gave me more control over my life. Of course, if one is disciplined, it is perfectly possible to own a TV and still live a productive life. But not owning one forces me to be more creative about how I spend my time--even if that time ends up getting spent watching DVDs or surfing the net. It's still me who is in control of the programming. I like that.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You haven’t bonded with your synth instruments yet and you really should. Just spend time exploring their sounds, presets, sequences, tweaking the knobs to make YOUR ears happy. Get a simple rhythmic sequence going with a sound you can FEEL, then play some simple melody lines with another sound that inspires YOU. Your memories are full of melodies or melody fragments, note combinations just waiting to be expressed and phrased through you.

Focus on yourself... you deserve it man! You’re retired, so relax and re-connect your nervous system with great sounds and the music will come forth. However it comes out, don’t judge. The next one could be completely different. The possibilities are endless. Experiment, explore, be curious and engaged.

And, thank your new synth buddies (give them names!) and recording gear after every session! They’re there for you and you’re fortunate to have them. Positive musical vibes are a muse’s playground (even if you’re into death metal ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
You haven’t bonded with your synth instruments yet and you really should. Just spend time exploring their sounds, presets, sequences, tweaking the knobs to make YOUR ears happy. Get a simple rhythmic sequence going with a sound you can FEEL, then play some simple melody lines with another sound that inspires YOU. Your memories are full of melodies or melody fragments, note combinations just waiting to be expressed and phrased through you.

Focus on yourself... you deserve it man! You’re retired, so relax and re-connect your nervous system with great sounds and the music will come forth. However it comes out, don’t judge. The next one could be completely different. The possibilities are endless. Experiment, explore, be curious and engaged.

And, thank your new synth buddies (give them names!) and recording gear after every session! They’re there for you and you’re fortunate to have them. Positive musical vibes are a muse’s playground (even if you’re into death metal ).

Awesome post, string6theory!

Since I started this thread, I think I have starting bonding with my Subsequent 37. I have become one with the knobs and buttons. It's a great feeling that I don't want to end.

I've also reconnected with guitar and piano, and I am not locked into my old habits any longer, and my playing is getting better. I was afraid to even touch them for so long, and that fear is gone. (What the f**k was I afraid of?)

I do feel fortunate to have my new synth buddies, and to reunite with my old piano and guitar pals, too. I'm lucky to have the time and the disposable income to learn, explore, and play.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Your memories are full of melodies or melody fragments, note combinations just waiting to be expressed and phrased through you.
Wonderful line. Truly inspirational!
Lives for gear

I can relate with the OP and many others. I'm also a hobbyist but I have a day job, so much less free time than the OP and many more distractions.
I think many if not all of us sooner or later fall into the loop "Buy new gear, use it for 1 hour, leave it there unused for 6 months, sell it, start again".

For me it's a bit of lazyness/procrastination, a bit of never having enough time.
And of course I'm not a professional so strictly speaking I don't NEED it, even though I've always loved making music and always will.

My solutions: if you're not a professional so you have no deadlines and no pressing need to make money from it, just relax and have fun.

For me, that means (mostly repeating what others already said):

1- playing whatever you want whenever you want. I stopped worrying if my latest and greatest toy sits there unused for weeks. Its time will come.

2- know your gear. A new synthesiser is intimidating because often you have no clue on how to make it sound good, you twist knobs randomly and everything sounds like nails on a blackboard. Just take your time and enjoy the ride. Heck, after years I'm still discovering new tricks from my MicroBrute which is just about the most basic synth you can imagine!

3- find ways to motivate yourself and enjoy even while you're a novice. In other words, make the learning and practicing less boring and frustrating. Listen to a lot of different music, go to live shows, share opinions with fellow musicians, join an amateur band with a similar skill level.

4- If you're into writing your own original material, great. If not, there's nothing to be ashamed of. Play covers. Study the works of the masters. Put on a record and improvise over it. Buy a cheap looper and have fun.

5- buying new gear and reading gearslutz is almost never the solution but hey, if it doesn't harm anybody, what the heck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider76 View Post
I can relate with the OP and many others. I'm also a hobbyist but I have a day job, so much less free time than the OP and many more distractions...

...5- buying new gear and reading gearslutz is almost never the solution but hey, if it doesn't harm anybody, what the heck.
Thank you for sharing, Spider76, and for making a list that I can print out and stick to my fridge.

Item number five, quoted above, strikes a chord with me. This thread was my first post here, and the response I've received has convinced me that reading gearslutz is very good for me and my music.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markonmac View Post
Item number five, quoted above, strikes a chord with me. This thread was my first post here, and the response I've received has convinced me that reading gearslutz is very good for me and my music.
There's a first time for everything, or maybe hell froze over?

But seriously welcome, and I'm glad you've reconnected with your instrument.
Old 2nd August 2018
Lives for gear

When I'm lacking inspiration, I channel Jean-Luc and:

Old 3rd August 2018 | Show parent
Quote:
There's a first time for everything, or maybe hell froze over?

But seriously welcome, and I'm glad you've reconnected with your instrument.
Thanks, slaughtrhaus.
📝 Reply