The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can this be ever surpassed ? Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Gear Addict
 
time_zone's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Can this be ever surpassed ?

Patrick Cowley did this monumental remix.
A musician and synthesist with true genius, he died of AIDS in November 1982, age 32. This remix was released the same year in 1982....

To us with such sophisticated, modern, powerful gear as we can (and do) get nowadays, and for comparative "peanuts", I must ask can this ever be surpassed ?



Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
i think that is one of many examples that can be held up as an awesome example of compositionandsounddesignandperformanceandarrangementandmixing with the final result being music. I'm gonna keep trying.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
jazzcabbage's Avatar
 

I like the original single sided LP Moroder extended mix better. I have it on vinyl, superb.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
I’ve heard this many times, but never this long extended version. Its excellent! Thanks. This guy was filtering the break 30 years before it was cool.
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Goa-Dubs's Avatar
 

I half inched the re-release back in 88 from a record company in Covent Garden,London.Id been looking out for it after hearing it again at a very gay warehouse party in an old slaughterhouse in the east end.As i was maintaining the tropical plant display there was a whole pile of them with that cover just leaning there.As if by magic.And magic it was.Got lots of playing from me.Definitely out on its own.Cant think of a lot that compares.The funny thing is i thought it was a recent remix at the time and that he (Patrick Cowley) was still alive which shows how modern it sounded.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Yes, I have always thought this was pretty amazing! and also Moroder's version.

Can someone explain to me what is happening with the arpeggio at the beginning of the song?; is the arpeggio panned to the right with some sort of delay going to the left (is that possible?), or is there one instrument playing the arpeggio panned to the right with some delay (or reverb or whatever it is) and then some sort of synth bass panned to the left playing key notes of the same arpeggio and also with some delay or reverb??
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Gear Addict
 

What's amazing to me is not what he added, but how he managed it with such limited tools. Nothing digital, no MIDI, no synchronization, no access to the multis or even the master; he assembled the backing track by recording the vinyl and reediting it. His playing is bit sloppy in parts, but that's what gives it life.

He did a similar thing to Tantra's "Hills Of Katmandu", although many releases which claim to have that have only his backing track, which doesn't have any of his overdubs.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Barfunkel's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Republic View Post

He did a similar thing to Tantra's "Hills Of Katmandu", although many releases which claim to have that have only his backing track, which doesn't have any of his overdubs.

One of my favorite disco tracks. A journey of never ending disco bliss.
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
pr0gr4m's Avatar
I do like it but I think it has been surpassed. I won't post any examples because it would just be my opinion and taste. To each their own.
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Goa-Dubs's Avatar
 

I think its like saying 'Stairway to heaven' has been surpassed.Another absolutely killer track is this-



Its got an ethereal quality.Also out on its own.Late in the night at a party when it hits the voice at 4 minutes things get very tripped out.
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 

have the original release, bought new at the time.

Last edited by babylonpanic; 1 week ago at 02:45 PM..
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
rasseru's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Republic View Post
What's amazing to me is not what he added, but how he managed it with such limited tools. Nothing digital, no MIDI, no synchronization, no access to the multis or even the master; he assembled the backing track by recording the vinyl and reediting it. His playing is bit sloppy in parts, but that's what gives it life.

He did a similar thing to Tantra's "Hills Of Katmandu", although many releases which claim to have that have only his backing track, which doesn't have any of his overdubs.
I love that loosely overdubbed sound. Similar to Noel Williams /konduku/tashamba & other old electro or funk sound
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
I like the original single sided LP Moroder extended mix better. I have it on vinyl, superb.
slow it right down and listen to the bassline. more noticable about 2/3rds through.

it's just.... WOW! it's like it has a bass for the left and a bass for the right. that sound so good when they're together you don't really notice it as much when at normal speed. but that's what's happening
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Syn303's Avatar
i'm sure Moroder said he was unimpressed with Patrick Cowley's remix in an interview once.

then there is this -

Old 1 week ago
  #15
Gear Addict
 
time_zone's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
For those interested here is a 1981 track by P. Cowley (as opposed to a remix).

Old 1 week ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Zaphod Betamax's Avatar
Love the drums and synths!


Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
For those interested here is a 1981 track by P. Cowley (as opposed to a remix).

Old 1 week ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Goa-Dubs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
For those interested here is a 1981 track by P. Cowley (as opposed to a remix).

This is much more pedestrian disco which im not not a fan of.What he added tp i feel love was off the hook tho.
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
i'm sure Moroder said he was unimpressed with Patrick Cowley's remix in an interview once.

then there is this -

Never heard that before - love the strings

My favourite late night gaybar near us in Sydney was called Midnight Shift .... now I know where the name is from .... as much as I loved it, at times I felt a bit like a fish out of water (I'm straight)
Old 1 week ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Signifier's Avatar
Here’s another track that sounds waaaaay ahead it’s time - arguably moreso than the Moroder remix.
Old 1 week ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Syn303's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
Never heard that before - love the strings

My favourite late night gaybar near us in Sydney was called Midnight Shift .... now I know where the name is from .... as much as I loved it, at times I felt a bit like a fish out of water (I'm straight)
i posted that video up, because those two tracks played on it are like a continuation of I Feel Love with the same ethereal vocals by summer, the mechanized beats and the sequencer ostinatos etc.
Old 1 week ago
  #21
Gear Addict
 
A.I. Batule Chee's Avatar
Well to be honest (I'm probably going to get seriously disregarded for suggesting this) of all the different remixes/tributes of this song that I've ever heard, this one is the best of them all, surpassing by far the one you posted (IMHO). I don't know what was used but the synths here are impossibly fat and lush, every sound in the song is so thick and punchy, it really is a synthgasm, give it a chance and crank the volume a bit and listen to it whole:




Old 6 days ago
  #22
Lives for gear
 
monomer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugPass View Post
Can someone explain to me what is happening with the arpeggio at the beginning of the song?; is the arpeggio panned to the right with some sort of delay going to the left (is that possible?),
Yeah, sounds kindof like that to me.
On the left there seems to be a simple 8th note bassline with a stereo ping pong delay on it.
Then on the right there is an arpeggiated version of the bass, one octave higher and playing 16th notes, also with delay on it.
Old 6 days ago
  #23
Lives for gear
 
monomer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
This is much more pedestrian disco ...
I half expected the Star Wars tune to hit somewhere halfway that tune.

Old 6 days ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 
monomer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
I don't know what was used but the synths here are impossibly fat and lush, every sound in the song is so thick and punchy, it really is a synthgasm, give it a chance and crank the volume a bit and listen to it whole
Wow. To me that mix sounds completely like sheit.
Way overcompressed, weird piercing highs, much distortion. As if someone abused multiband limiting for the first time.
The synths are nice but their dynamics are all over the place to make it seem 'phat' or whatever.

I can hear there is something pleasing underneath it all, but the mix is butchered imo.
Old 6 days ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
As if someone abused multiband limiting for the first time.
Old 6 days ago
  #26
Gear Addict
 
A.I. Batule Chee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Wow. To me that mix sounds completely like sheit.
Way overcompressed, weird piercing highs, much distortion. As if someone abused multiband limiting for the first time.
The synths are nice but their dynamics are all over the place to make it seem 'phat' or whatever.

I can hear there is something pleasing underneath it all, but the mix is butchered imo.
Yeah, you’re probably right. Much of the distortion come from YouTube’s compression most likely, the CD version isn’t that distorted, and there’s definitely much happening on that track to be extra compressed.
I have the gunner’s ears I guess, find noise pleasing!
Old 6 days ago
  #27
Lives for gear
 
monomer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
Yeah, you’re probably right. Much of the distortion come from YouTube’s compression most likely, the CD version isn’t that distorted, and there’s definitely much happening on that track to be extra compressed.
Well, i listened to a lossless version actually, so no youtube involved.
Old 6 days ago
  #28
Gear Addict
 
A.I. Batule Chee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Well, i listened to a lossless version actually, so no youtube involved.
Oh... well... c'est la vie
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump