The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
P6 or OB6: which sits better in a mix with electric guitars? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
P6 or OB6: which sits better in a mix with electric guitars?

Most of my compositions have a fair amount of guitar, clean and dirty, strat and les pauls. Which of these synths sit better in a mix with a good amount of guitar tracks?
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Don’t own a P6, but use an OB6 with guitars all the time, it’s very easy to mix.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Don’t own a P6, but use an OB6 with guitars all the time, it’s very easy to mix.
Don’t own a OB6, but use an P6 with guitars all the time, it’s very easy to mix.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
This thread is bull****, hahaha.
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
So they’re both fine. Do you want a multimode 12db filter with notch or a 24db one with self oscillation? That’s literally the deciding factor lol.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Pro5's Avatar
I have a prophet 6, every band I've ever liked that used synths with guitars pretty much used Prophet 5s (inc The Police etc) which gives you an answer. The prophet 6 is very similar, a powerful but defined sound, warm and rich, punchy and precise (if needed).

OB-6 will also sit fine, obviously (van halen? Prince?) but I find it's more to the wash everything in synth pads type of 'ok', rather than cool/dark/richness.. it's more 'hey look ma I'm jamming a synth over these cheesee hair rock track' (again van halen.. and in some ways.. prince)

tl;dr?

Prophet 6 > OB-6 in every way except fizzy annoying SJW pads which the OB-6 excels at.
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
I have a prophet 6, every band I've ever liked that used synths with guitars pretty much used Prophet 5s (inc The Police etc) which gives you an answer. The prophet 6 is very similar, a powerful but defined sound, warm and rich, punchy and precise (if needed).

OB-6 will also sit fine, obviously (van halen? Prince?) but I find it's more to the wash everything in synth pads type of 'ok', rather than cool/dark/richness.. it's more 'hey look ma I'm jamming a synth over these cheesee hair rock track' (again van halen.. and in some ways.. prince)

tl;dr?

Prophet 6 > OB-6 in every way except fizzy annoying SJW pads which the OB-6 excels at.
Utter tosh The OB6 is f***ing unhinged. It sounds like a Birthday Party in 1984 but then you realise all your guests are actually ghost children who died 10 years before playing in a smelting factory whilst they bunked off from school.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Utter tosh The OB6 is f***ing unhinged. It sounds like a Birthday Party in 1984 but then you realise all your guests are actually ghost children who died 10 years before playing in a smelting factory whilst they bunked off from school.
Obviously, the correct answer.
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Kja
Lives for gear
Is like saying which is better? Ferrari or Lamborghini? they both are epic and can drown out guitars!
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
Is like saying which is better? Ferrari or Lamborghini? they both are epic and can drown out guitars!
I get your post but there are differences in eq between them, hence my OP. My thought is the ob6 will be better at staying out of the way in the mids at times, or hiterto unknown.
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Kja
Lives for gear
But honestly there are the same differences between a Les Paul and a Tele?
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
I originally thought the difference is more similar to a strat (less mids, more lows/highs) and les Paul (mid monster). Is it fair to say the ob6 is more strat like and the p6 is more les Paul/tele?
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
I understand this is a complete oversimplification btw.
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 
string6theory's Avatar
Your arrangement of elements within the song will make much more of an impact on the “mix” than whether a Prophet or OB patch was used. Which you probably know, but bears repeating.

So, in conclusion...

Own a Prophet 6+6 and OB 6+6 and use both with guitars all the time, they’re very easily to mix.

Old 1 week ago
  #15
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
Thanks y’all. Thread closed.
Old 1 week ago
  #16
either.

but ime, reamping, or recording thru a nice transformer preamp helps any analog polysynth sit better with guitars. especially in rock/indie/postpunk sort of productions.

of course, how much room you have depends on how distorted/driven/thick those guitars are, and how are they mixed/eq-ed etc. further, as mentioned, the whole arrangement needs to be thought thru to avoid unwanted masking. sometimes it's a balancing act to get everything you want, to fit in the arr/mix.
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundTound View Post
. . . Is it fair to say the ob6 is more strat like and the p6 is more les Paul/tele?
I think Les Pauls and Telecasters are sonic polar opposites (I much prefer LPs). I'll ask the same question, but with a Les Paul through a Solando head, Celestion 2x12 cab, mic'ed with a large condenser, and a tube'd preamp (i.e., tons of gain, lots of thick-mids, scratchy highs, good definition—NO EFFECTS!).

Wait! Strike that . . . howbout a Les Paul through a Dual-Recto head (sounds exactly like a Framus Cobra), Celestion 2x12 cab, mic'ed with a large condenser, and a tube'd preamp (i.e., tons of gain, TONS of bottom, lots of thick-mids, scratchy highs, good definition—NO EFFECTS!).
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I think Les Pauls and Telecasters are sonic polar opposites (I much prefer LPs). I'll ask the same question, but with a Les Paul through a Solando head, Celestion 2x12 cab, mic'ed with a large condenser, and a tube'd preamp (i.e., tons of gain, lots of thick-mids, scratchy highs, good definition—NO EFFECTS!).

Wait! Strike that . . . howbout a Les Paul through a Dual-Recto head (sounds exactly like a Framus Cobra), Celestion 2x12 cab, mic'ed with a large condenser, and a tube'd preamp (i.e., tons of gain, TONS of bottom, lots of thick-mids, scratchy highs, good definition—NO EFFECTS!).
I agree with you that there is an almost infinite amount of ways to affect the sound of a les Paul (or tele, strat, etc) through amps, mics, speakers. Similarly, there’s an almost infinite amount of variation when running an Oberheim (or prophet, moog, etc) through pre’s, eq’s, compressors.

I disagree that the Tele and Les Paul are “polar opposites”. My favorite LP sounds like a tele on steroids. Never have I heard of a strat coming remotely close to that description. Strats have a very unique character that’s ingrained in their sound (speaking in generalities again, I apologize). They are somewhat airy with firm lows and an abundant of highs, somewhat dreamy and celestial. Always identifiable.
Old 1 week ago
  #19
Gear Head
 

If you merely want a "stay out of the way" synth, there's no need to invest in a $2500 discreet voice card analog poly, IMO you'd be fine with a local used VA. If it doesn't have enough onboard tone shaping, you could probably run it through one of your guitar EQ pedals, or change presets, or just play higher or lower keys.

I feel as though you've picked 2 of the more in-your-face new polys, but of course either will also blend into the background, as the first 2 posters mentioned.

If you do get one, search for the GS thread called something like "I want to love the Prophet-6". It's full of good advice for bringing out the more subtle aspects of either synth, but focuses on the P6.
Old 1 week ago
  #20
Gear Addict
 

This..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
If you merely want a "stay out of the way" synth, there's no need to invest in a $2500 discreet voice card analog poly, IMO you'd be fine with a local used VA. If it doesn't have enough onboard tone shaping, you could probably run it through one of your guitar EQ pedals, or change presets, or just play higher or lower keys.

I feel as though you've picked 2 of the more in-your-face new polys, but of course either will also blend into the background, as the first 2 posters mentioned.

If you do get one, search for the GS thread called something like "I want to love the Prophet-6". It's full of good advice for bringing out the more subtle aspects of either synth, but focuses on the P6.
If you have guitars plural, then unless the synth is a feature, and simply supported by guitars..just get a microkorg.
Old 1 week ago
  #21
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
If you merely want a "stay out of the way" synth, there's no need to invest in a $2500 discreet voice card analog poly, IMO you'd be fine with a local used VA. If it doesn't have enough onboard tone shaping, you could probably run it through one of your guitar EQ pedals, or change presets, or just play higher or lower keys.

I feel as though you've picked 2 of the more in-your-face new polys, but of course either will also blend into the background, as the first 2 posters mentioned.

If you do get one, search for the GS thread called something like "I want to love the Prophet-6". It's full of good advice for bringing out the more subtle aspects of either synth, but focuses on the P6.
Great advice!

Being able to blend in with guitar(s) is only part of my demands. I also want the synth to “be itself” and stand out at times. Being inspired is to create is greatly important too.

Side note: I’m leaning on the ob-6 with a model D on the side. Woo baby!
Old 1 week ago
  #22
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundTound View Post
Side note: I’m leaning on the ob-6 with a model D on the side. Woo baby!
Not a bad choice, Dr. Poundtound! I've got a reissue and I swear it's possessed. My romplers huddle in a corner when a guitar comes around, but the model d competes.
Old 1 week ago
  #23
Lives for gear
 
string6theory's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundTound View Post
...

Side note: I’m leaning on the ob-6 with a model D on the side. Woo baby!
Saweeeet! My fav (neo classic) combo so far is my Prophet 6+6 and Mini D, but the OB 6+6 came to the party later, so this may change.

You are going to be in sonic heaven - congrats for going for it!

Old 1 week ago
  #24
Here for the gear
 

Whatever one inspires you more to make awesome music. They both will
work equally well IMHO.
Old 1 week ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 

Yeah Microkorg...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump