The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Own the ASR10 and EPS16+, which one should I sell and why? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Own the ASR10 and EPS16+, which one should I sell and why?

I love them both. I feel these are the best hardware samplers ever produced but I'm moving and one of them needs to go. I'm having trouble deciding so I wanted to consult you all. What would you sell and why? ASR10 is the rack version, EPS 16+ is the full keyboard version.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by combat medic View Post
I love them both. I feel these are the best hardware samplers ever produced but I'm moving and one of them needs to go. I'm having trouble deciding so I wanted to consult you all. What would you sell and why? ASR10 is the rack version, EPS 16+ is the full keyboard version.
IMO if you're having trouble choosing between the ASR and the EPS16+ it means that the added features and sonic difference of the ASR is not so important to you that it's your obvious choice. In that case I would sell the ASR. I feel like a keyboard EPS16+ is the same user value or more than an ASR10 rack, but you'll get much better money for the ASR.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by combat medic View Post

the way i see it on most basic level: its a choice btwn having a poly at keyboard, versus ability to have larger sample ram. i would probably pick the latter especially if you are moving its easier to transport.

that said, this all becomes pointless if they do not sound the same. so, perhaps this is a rare oportunity to ask you to compare their character. dunno if you ever did some tests like sampling the same source into both and comparing the results and overall tone ?

i currently have the original EPS, and i got if for its special blend of lofi tone as well as having a poly at controller for my other poly-at capable racks. however, i was always intrigued by the eps16 and asr10 bcs of transwaves.. but never read a meaningful comparison of their character, aside for the obvious technical differences.

thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'd keep the ASR.
EPS 16 is not significantly 'cool Lo-Fi' in character (like the Original EPS)
- and has poorer effects and memory than the ASR.
Old 1 week ago
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
however, i was always intrigued by the eps16 and asr10 bcs of transwaves.. but never read a meaningful comparison of their character, aside for the obvious technical differences.
ASR-10 is an EPS-16+ with stereo sampling facility (new ADC), extra voices and extra RAM. And that's pretty much it. Even the same ESP chip inside, so you can load extra effects.

Despite some people claiming EPS16+ sound "warmer" bcs it has "variable sample rate" while the ASR-10 doesn't. This is of course total baloney. They are both fixed rate samplers and pitch change occurs via interpolation (inserting or removing extra bytes here and there).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Are you saying I can swap out my segment-deficient asr rack display with my eps16 keyboard display? Plug n play or unscrew n cry n solder n cry n ebay as fried spares?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Despite some people claiming EPS16+ sound "warmer" bcs it has "variable sample rate" while the ASR-10 doesn't. This is of course total baloney. They are both fixed rate samplers and pitch change occurs via interpolation (inserting or removing extra bytes here and there).
I dunno Don. Most people say the ASR10 sounds 'warmer.' The preference for the eps16+ is not about 'variable sample rate' but that you can sample at a variety of sampling rates ( ie it gets more lofi), that it has a round robin output capability, and that it will load mirage disks...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I keep both and use the 16+ for drum and use the asr for synth sounds.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I have had both and they are both good. But the ASR is more flexible. Keep the ASR Rack.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

It is a hard decision. I don't know if I feel one sounds better than the other, anything I sample into these comes out sounding better. It's like magic, you guys would probably know the technical reasons for this, I certainly don't. Right now I'm leaning toward keeping the asr due to the expanded effects section. I was playing with them last night, truly the kings of samplers, wish they still made things like this.
Old 1 week ago
PHG
Gear Maniac

If one of them is a rack version, then I don't see why you need to choose. You really get the best of both worlds when it comes to features that way. Keep them both and throw something else out to make room.
Old 1 week ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
is not about 'variable sample rate' but that you can sample at a variety of sampling rates ( ie it gets more lofi)
On first sight it looks like ASR-10 can't do that since it just offers 30k and 44k sample rate for sampling. But this is just an illusion.

Because you get the same lofi result by using resample option on ASR-10. You can select any sample rate from 6.25kHz up to 48kHz. It gets exact same lofi sound, because - it is the same sound. EPS-16 is no more lofi than an ASR-10. A 6.25 kHz waveform has exact same number of samples it has on ASR-10 as it has on EPS-16. It can't sound "more lofi".

The reason why they offer low sample rates on EPS-16 is because of it's limited memory of just 2MB. But once the ASR-10 came out there was simply no need for 11kHz sample rate anymore, and they removed it, since ASR-10 comes with 16MB of RAM. There is plenty enough for HD recording (which it also offers), let alone sampling long time samples.

The master clock on both units most likely run at 44k, because both manuals are claiming CD quality sound at output circuitry. And that's what counts here.

The only thing you're doing by "sampling" at 11k on EPS-16 is just dropping bits. And that is the same thing as using a resample option on ASR-10 - you are just dropping bits. Same thing = same result.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Think I'm going to keep the ASR. Selling the 16+ will be a difficult thing to do, fond memories and all that
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
If money is not the issue. I cannot imagine how you would consider keeping the EPS plus over the ASR.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'd keep the ASR. Keyboard space is at a premium for me these days, and I like samplers in rack form.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Don't sell either one. Some days later (probably not many) you will discover that you moved TONS of idiotic junk that you should have thrown out the window, and that for some insane reason you sold a pretty small musical instrument to make room for said junk. Unless you are moving your entire collection of earthly belongings in a Camry its not worth it - keep, horde, love, covet, appreciate, and keep lovely things - there are not many of them in our lives and they should stay at all costs.

If all your earthly possessions fit in a Camry... nevermind
Old 6 days ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ View Post
If money is not the issue. I cannot imagine how you would consider keeping the EPS plus over the ASR.
I dunno, maybe bcs this:

I don't even dare using ASR-10 on hot summer days.

Unless i lost my frying pan somewhere in the dishes.
Old 6 days ago
I owned both but did not miss the EPS16+ in any way when I upgraded to an ASR10. The ASR has a nicer build quality also, I think.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Losing data due to overheating crashes is why I sold my asr10 and kept my eps. If your s doesn't suffer from that maybe keep it. plus I do prefer the keyboard versions of the ensoniqs.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ View Post
No, it's not a matter of money at all actually. I really want a streamlined set up these days. At one point I had like 10 old samplers that I went to the trouble of moving a few years ago only to not use many of them. Now I'm moving again and realize how much extra work I'm creating for myself by keeping all of it. Also, I'm a very lazy man when it comes to gear and music. If a device isn't within a 6 foot radius of my desk it doesn't get used.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I dunno, maybe bcs this:

Unless i lost my frying pan somewhere in the dishes.
This is true about the ASR. That little rascal emits heat in all directions and will transfer heat to other gear if its mounted to closely. ASR always requires a bit of room to breathe, I wouldn't mount it in a rack with anything directly above or below it.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Just pull the ram and style it out with two meg and you'll be chilly chill from the top of the hill

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search