The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is new gear worth the high prices? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

keeping up with the kardashians ?!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Nothing is worth its higher price unless it is uniquely capable of performing at a level that no other instrument can.

Unfortunately for the TVP buyer, a pair of reissue SEMs is plenty close enough, provided that you have ancillary (Eurorack) hardware to make it all fit together.

IIRC, Marion uses the same contract manufacturer that DSI does, so it may very well be a case of two different skill levels of engineering on the digital side.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

I look at it like buying a new car.

You'll lose money as soon as you drive it off the lot. Paying extra for financing so you can have it right now is a suckers game. To be honest, it's probably a luxury purchase that you don't really need. And there'll always be something else that's better.

But if you hang on to it and use it well for the next 20 or so years instead of constantly upgrading then it's been money well spent regardless of any depreciation.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

until someone crashes into you and it gets written off by insurance
who don't pay you enough to replace it. (but that's also part of the
depreciation game)
Old 5 days ago
I'll answer the generic form of the topic question. In my case, yes. Just a few of the more expensive synths I own:

• Montage 7
• Kronos Platinum
• DSI Prophet Rev2 16-voice keyboard.

Montage 7—only $3,150 thanks to a Reverb 10%-off flash sale. Exquisite build quality, gorgeous sounds (now that I'm dabbling with its FM-X engine), perfect keybed, excellent color touchscreen and much-improved UI. Miles ahead of its Motif predecessors, all for about the exact same prices.

Kronos—what can I say. Who'd have thought you could buy this much synth for the money? Nine sound engines? Built-in 64GB SSD? Large color touchscreen. I bought a refurb for $2,960 (that's $840 off a new one!), and it looked brand new. Compared to the $10K Oasys, these things are a bargain!

Rev2. Though I returned mine, it wasn't because of its awesome build quality and beautiful sounds—it just wasn't right for me (plus, I have a new Prophet X coming tomorrow!). Only $1,635 for a 16-voice demo, plus a Father's Day 10% gift card promo. It was really difficult to bring myself to return it.

Never before has this much quality gear been available at such relatively low prices. Check the vintage synths' then-new prices and adjust for inflation and wage-increases, and in contrast, today we have an embarrassment of riches!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Some people need to get sent back in time to the early 80s, when a new analog poly could run you $5,000 and minimum wage was $3.35.
We're certainly living in a time of affordable plenty, that's fo-shiz. Yo.

I literally couldn't have picked a better time to start making music again as far as kitting out my new studio is concerned, or for that matter as an outlet for anything that I do end recording and releasing. Plenty of oysters out there in the world these days.

There has been no better time, and of course one person's expensive is another person's cheap. That has always been and will always be.

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Ignoring my own problems does it seem in general that newer products do not seem to have very rigorous quality control standards?
I’m not implying anything in particular to Chinese manufacturers but across all brands regardless of their chosen manufacturing locations.

Are today’s companies not as committed to proper testing procedures or for that matter refraining from pushing unfinished products out the door?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
Ignoring my own problems does it seem in general that newer products do not seem to have very rigorous quality control standards?
I’m not implying anything in particular to Chinese manufacturers but across all brands regardless of their chosen manufacturing locations.

Are today’s companies not as committed to proper testing procedures or for that matter refraining from pushing unfinished products out the door?
Yes.

Look at how common it is for a new product to have firmware issues, often never completely resolved. It's not just firmware either but the marriage of analog synths with digital control/brains/features has never been rock solid and this is for all companies.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Ha! Remember when "Made in Japan" was a joke? On the photo forums, people really discriminate against the Nikon cameras and lenses made in China and Thailand, and revere the ones made in Japan.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Are high priced new synths even worth buying anymore?
No one can answer that question except yourself. You know that, don’t you? Is someone going to say “yes, they’re worth it” and then you’ll think your synth is with it? Or vice versa?

Right now, I don’t have $200 to spend on a synth, much less $3500. If I did, and it was a synth hat met my needs,like the Prophet X, it would be worth it to me. I’m not a hobbyist, though - it would be used actively towards projects that people would (hopefully) hear and would (hopefully) help me make that money back.

There are so many questions on this forum that aren’t questions at all.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Could it perhaps be that with the advent of the internet also came greater ease of hearing about such problems? I mean, how many threads do we see that are titled "Gear X and my story with experiencing zero issues with it" where people all chip in to say how great their experience has been with a piece of gear? Usually it's someone who is upset because X, Y or Z doesn't work and so (usually in anger) seek out a forum to complain about it or (sometimes), to find a solution. Hardly anyone takes time out of their day to find a forum specifically to post about their good experiences.

I think perhaps what you're observing is a shift in communications, not in quality.

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearanewworld View Post
No one can answer that question except yourself. You know that, don’t you? Is someone going to say “yes, they’re worth it” and then you’ll think your synth is with it? Or vice versa?

Right now, I don’t have $200 to spend on a synth, much less $3500. If I did, and it was a synth hat met my needs,like the Prophet X, it would be worth it to me. I’m not a hobbyist, though - it would be used actively towards projects that people would (hopefully) hear and would (hopefully) help me make that money back.

There are so many questions on this forum that aren’t questions at all.
I’d say there’s an equal share of answers that aren’t answers at all as well.
It can be a very subjective matter to many just as much as whether or not vintage is worth the money. But objectively there’s also value to both questions.

And a contextually valid forum to pose these questions regardless of whether someone thinks they know all the answers or not.

Personally I do not know all the answers and find myself conflicted on the topic of whether new synths are worth the money, especially ones well beyond the budget category.
It helps me to hear the opinions of others. Even yours even if it isn’t exactly clear to me.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

I think in general we have well built great sounding new gear, they are making gear for ten times more people nowadays, and social media acts as an echo chamber for anyone who wants to rant about a wonky pot, not always the accurate overall picture.
Old 5 days ago
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlappyD00 View Post
I look at it like buying a new car.

You'll lose money as soon as you drive it off the lot. Paying extra for financing so you can have it right now is a suckers game. To be honest, it's probably a luxury purchase that you don't really need. And there'll always be something else that's better.

But if you hang on to it and use it well for the next 20 or so years instead of constantly upgrading then it's been money well spent regardless of any depreciation.
Idk, some will never have four grand for a synth but through financing if you buy a demo model it can counter the price you pay for financing plus let you have your dream synth, I think that's pretty awesome and important, people should not forget their creativity is worth something. Treat yourself well, you deserve it, even if you are poor.
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
Idk, some will never have four grand for a synth but through financing if you buy a demo model it can counter the price you pay for financing plus let you have your dream synth, I think that's pretty awesome and important, people should not forget their creativity is worth something. Treat yourself well, you deserve it, even if you are poor.
Thank you for saying this - it is the soul of an artist speaking. I spend ridiculous amounts on gear that I probably should spend on something 'practical' but that's not me - I need to indulge my madness for my sanity's sake. I look at it like a savings account that has a negative interest rate. Who cares - you only die once.

Maybe someday when I can't see or hear it anymore my wife can sell it all to get enough kerosene to burn my corpse, or at least send me to Crete to bask in the sun. Either way I'll have fond memories of fondling knobs and sweet sweet zoinkies coming out of speakies - come with uncle and hear all proper, angel trumpets and devil trombones... You are invited! What if Cezanne had invested in mutual funds instead of paint? Going out in some kinda misdirected fireball is way cooler - don't stop the madness, start it.

Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
especially if you are a poor musician

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search