The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Budget stage piano/master with a good feel Digital & Stage Pianos
Old 12th July 2018
Here for the gear

Budget stage piano/master with a good feel

Hi all,
I am a newbie on the forum, this is my first post ever. I hope i'm in the right section. Also, apologies for my bad English (I'm from Italy ).

Here's my question:

I owned a Korg Triton Extreme 88 for many years, and although it's an old machine i still love it! However, i finally found the budget to upgrade my setup and i am going to buy a 61-keys Korg Kronos 2.

Having the Kronos, the Triton Extreme's sounds will become obsolete, so i was thinking about selling it and replacing it with a more stripped-down (and lighter!!!!) 88-keys board.

What i'm looking for is a keybed with a good "piano" feel (i never really liked the "heavy" keys of the Triton Extreme). Ideally, the keyboard should also have a decent piano sound, so that when i just want to practice my (very bad) piano technique i could use it standalone without having to turn on the Kronos as well. However, if that's not possible, even a mute 88-keys master controller would do the job. I don't need any other particular feature in terms of controls, etc.

Now the difficult part: since most of my budget went into the Kronos, i would like to do this upgrade at very low cost. My Triton is in perfect conditions, so i'm hoping to sell it for about $1000.

Assuming i can do that, what do you think i could buy for about $1000-$1500 that could answer my needs? A used model in good conditions would be fine as well.

Buying a 88-keys Kronos is not an option. The worst part of my Triton days was carrying it around when going to rehearsals. Now i'm looking for a 61 + 88 split setup, to carry less weight except for some gigs when i'll bring both.

For example, i kinda like the feel of the Roland RD-800 GX. However, that one seems slightly out of budget (even used) and probably has more features than needed.

P.S. I know that trying keyboards in a store is fundamental for understanding the keys' feel, but i'd like to have a small list of models to choose from, so that i can try those out when i have the opportunity.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Have you played a real mechanical piano? And do you want to play that feel? I'm asking because in saying the TE88 feels too heavy, maybe you want an artifical piano-like feel instead of an accurate emulation. I bought a dirt cheap Yamaha P-35 for more keys and some keybaord feedback. Its spongy and bouncy but actually I use it more than I thought I would. It is piano-like and I can do runs of octaves no problem. I enjoy it more than it is an accurate feel.
Old 12th July 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks for your answer.

I do play the acoustic piano (although i'm not a master) and i own an upright.
I'd love to have a feel that is as "piano-realistic" as possible (although no digital instrument can give you 100% accurate feeling).
However, both for for acoustic pianos and for digital ones, not all keybeds are equal. I just said that i found the Triton's keys a bit too "heavy" ( i don't know if that's the correct term), but the feel of a hammer-action keyboard is what i want.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search