The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best way to connect Microbrute/Volca Sample/etc Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Best way to connect Microbrute/Volca Sample/etc

So, I only started getting into synth stuff a few years back when I found an Alesis QS keyboard in my basement. Since then I’ve purchased a Microbrute and a Volca Sample and have been having a blast messing around with different possibilities.

However, my previous experience as a guitarist/drummer didn’t really prepare me much for the nuances of connecting disparate pieces of gear to the extent that synths require, so I’ve basically just been threading all of my gear (via 1/4 inch cables) through the Microbrute and then into my Computer (much like you would a guitar through effects pedals into an amp).

I’ve tried reading/watching a few synth basics tutorials but still find the overwhelming amount of information a bit daunting. Additionally, I’d really like to buy a Korg Minilogue soon (I make ambient music mostly), but before I do, I’d like to figure out how to better connect everything so I can get the most out of my setup.

If I want to run everything into my computer more or less independently of each other (don’t see the point in running a minilogue through my Microbrute if I can’t use the full capabilities of both), what would be the best way to do that? Do I need an ABY box or something?

Also, how could I use the Volca to clock everything together?

I’m obviously a noob at this stuff, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You probably want an audio interface of some sort. You might want to reach through a thread like this:

What audio interface for synths (NOT for mics)?

I was new to hardware a few years ago, needed to plug everything into my computer, and wound up with a Scarlett 18i8. I don't know that it's the absolute best, but it does the job for me. If you're on PC and have an AMD video card, you might consider another brand, as Focusrite's drivers seem to cause crashes with Radeon Relive occasionally.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I'm not recommending this specific unit, as I have no experience with it, but something like this would probably get you very far. It has midi in and out, audio inputs, and software that you can use to sequence your gear. Maybe search that in the forums for reviews to see if it's any good.

Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 | Sweetwater

Not quite sure if you can sync everything from the volca, since neither it nor the brute have midi out.

You could also just get a basic mixer and a sequencer (like electribe, digitakt, pyramid...) and a midi thru box.

There's a lot of gear out there so there are many options and many ways to set things up.

What are you looking to do? Play full songs with all your equipment going all at once, or track them into a computer layer-by-layer? Do you plan to add more synths down the line? A bit more detail could get you some better answers.

Last edited by Stu Pete; 1 week ago at 12:15 AM.. Reason: Forgot to include link
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search