The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Korg NS5R vs N1R? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Korg NS5R vs N1R?

Can someone with experience with both the NS5r and the N1R give me a little color around the presets? Ive had an NS5R since it came out in 1998. It appears to have a different set of combis and programs than the NS5R. I personally couldnt care less about acoustic instument sounds, just looking for those killer Korg pads and synthy sounds. Is there tons or some or no overlap on the presets?

Devon
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonB View Post
Can someone with experience with both the NS5r and the N1R give me a little color around the presets? Ive had an NS5R since it came out in 1998. It appears to have a different set of combis and programs than the NS5R. I personally couldnt care less about acoustic instument sounds, just looking for those killer Korg pads and synthy sounds. Is there tons or some or no overlap on the presets?

Devon
I can't speak for the N1R but I used the NS5R alot when it was new. What I remember about it is that it had a staggeringly huge amount of sounds in it, and that almost all the acoustic sounds sucked. Not in an useable as synth sounds way, just that they sounded really nothing like acoustic sounds. Sometimes that's better. I think the big deal with the N1 was the piano. I played the keyboard version a few times and it was only available as an 88 key weighted, so usually those are going to have a comparitively big memory piano. I personally owned a Korg X2 at the time and I thought the sounds in the NS5R were pretty much the same level of sounds, just more of them. The M1, X3/2, N364, X5D, Ns5R and even the wavestation have a very similar soundset of raw samples from what I can hear. It's the Trinity, Triton, etc that got the next generation.

If you want those sounds, I would get the Korg Legacy Digital collection plugin, it has all that stuff for cheap and way more sounds than you'd think.
Old 1 week ago
RiF
Lives for gear

I still have my N1R, but never touched a NS5R. All I can say is that I liked those sounds Korg squeezed into the 16 MB (!) of sample ROM back then, but if by todays standards they all sound pretty thin and lifeless. I never found any "killer Korg pads and synthy sounds", btw.

There are a few gems in there, though. One of them can be heard clearly (it's just this sound and vocals) on our song "Hours" here:
Hours by Jabba on Apple Music
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have both. They sound the same, but don't have identical editing facilities (i.e. you cannot edit aftertouch modulations on NS5R at all). There's some crosstalk happening on the NS5R when you bump the distortion effect somewhat (I assume because of the half-rack size and integrated PSU in there, N1R doesn't have integrated PSU so no possibility of such thing happening). Wanna get rid of NS5R, I don't really use it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I have both. They sound the same, but don't have identical editing facilities (i.e. you cannot edit aftertouch modulations on NS5R at all). There's some crosstalk happening on the NS5R when you bump the distortion effect somewhat (I assume because of the half-rack size and integrated PSU in there, N1R doesn't have integrated PSU so no possibility of such thing happening). Wanna get rid of NS5R, I don't really use it.
Yay! Someone who has both! PrgA-C and CmbA-C, how much overlap is there in the presets between the two? I know some of Ai2 synths had pretty much the exact same presets. I'm interested in the N1R if the presets are mostly to completely different than the NS5R set of Progams and Combi's.

Devon
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

They have lots of same presets (but their order in the banks is not the same, and factory banks are not identical IIRC), but N1(R) has more, it also has 6 MB samples more in its ROM (piano, electric piano, organ).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Ya, I know it has more rom sample data. I was just trying to confirm how much overlap the program and combi presets really have. I know Korg has rehashed names but different sounds on the past too.

Devon
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'd say any patches from NS5R that might be missing on N1R are 100% achievable. It's the same engine really.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I took a Cubase patch list from both synths and used Excel to try to get to an answer. 784 Programs have 641 unique names. 766 Combis have about 485 unique names.

I know I made some mistakes along the way and probably skipped over some, so it's more a rough estimate. Looks like a LOT more unique Program presets than Combi's between the two.

Devon
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Well, anything that's on NS5R can be had on N1R as well, but IIRC there's no direct patch conversion tool available...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Well, anything that's on NS5R can be had on N1R as well, but IIRC there's no direct patch conversion tool available...
Which is fine. They are like barely over $100 to begin with. Ill just buy one for that price. Anyone selling one?

Devon
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I wanna get rid of my NS5R but you already have it...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search