The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
why does OB-6 cost twice as much as the REV2? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6 days ago
  #61
Lives for gear
 

Get a P6 or OB6.

After you play it goid chance you will not at all be bothered or even think about the price.
Old 6 days ago
  #62
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Also, remember that if you’re willing to buy a module, you can find the 6s for $1500-1600.
Old 6 days ago
  #63
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidizer View Post
two less voices. does it really have some wow factor that the REV2 doesn't? are the parts internally more expensive for some reason? or is it just the prestige factor? the designers and history it draws upon.

genuinely interested. i would love an OB-6 module but the price on top of the low polyphony (imo) is a real kick in the nuts. those two factors compounded are a deal breaker. i could maybe be swayed if it had 8 voices at that price or if it was the same price as a REV2 at only 6 voices.

as a bit of an outsider looking in the OB-6 certainly does have more than a bit of that vintage/classic aura around it.

i'm guessing a "REV2" OB-6 is out of the question, probably for multiple reasons. although there may be the UBXA some day.

i have heard that the OB-6 has good voice stealing algorithm and doesn't feel like it is missing any voices. so maybe by obsession with its "low polyphony" is misguided. any owners like to weigh in on that?

and lastly, how would you describe the differences between the two.
While you're at it, you might as well ask why the model d reissue is twice the price of a subsequent 37.
Old 6 days ago
  #64
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
While you're at it, you might as well ask why the model d reissue is twice the price of a subsequent 37.
Model D sounds much better. Same as with OB-6 / Prophet-6 vs Rev2.
Old 5 days ago
  #65
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomized View Post
Model D sounds much better. Same as with OB-6 / Prophet-6 vs Rev2.
Sounds better is a subjective thing. Sound better at what? They are different synths from the same company. The point i was trying to make is that in this case they are both VCO based synths, so the whole dco/vco debate isn't the one and only reason for a price difference.
There's also, imho, the nostalgia fetish being used, since they know people will agree to pay more in order to feel they get the chance to touch history/legend/fill in the blank.
Old 5 days ago
  #66
Here for the gear
 

If you actually *play* the synths in question, you will - probably straight away - know the difference.
Old 5 days ago
  #67
Lives for gear
 
bobule's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomized View Post
The problem with Rev2 is that it just doesn’t sound that good when compared to other synths. That makes it not very good value in my opinion. I wouldn’t feel comfortable paying $2000 for a budget synth with budget sound.

I think even Behringer Deepmind sounds much more musical than Rev2 at half the price. Actually, Deepmind can sound as good as OB-6 in my opinion, though maybe not as easily.
I am an OB-6 owner who just borrowed a Deepmind and it does not even come close. I am so disappointed by the Deepmind, maybe I am spoilt for synths but this is definitely the cheap end of the market. Just my two cents.
Old 5 days ago
  #68
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobule View Post
I am an OB-6 owner who just borrowed a Deepmind and it does not even come close. I am so disappointed by the Deepmind, maybe I am spoilt for synths but this is definitely the cheap end of the market. Just my two cents.
Are you sure you are not just justifying the money you spent on OB-6 when comparing it to the much cheaper Deepmind? I understand having preference of one synth vs another, but Deepmind sounds so good to me that I find it hard to believe anyone objective would be ”so disappointed by the Deepmind”. Of course, to get best sound out of DM, you need to know how to program it.

There are countless videos in Youtube to back my claim, but here’s one that compares DM to Jupiter-8, it gets pretty close:

Old 5 days ago
  #69
I've found DSI to be overpriced

I do not like their quality control one bit. Owned 3 synths now and all have had various build and cosmetic issues, read posts all the time about wonky knobs, output imbalances etc

They do sound amazing and I still want to own more, I wish Dave Smith would tighten up the quality control side of things.

I would guess that the Rev 2 is made in much higher numbers which helps keep manufacturing costs down to some extent, but it is hard to justify the OB6 costing twice as much. Will the release of the X force the price to come down ?
Old 5 days ago
  #70
Lives for gear
 
adydub's Avatar
 

There's a lot of talk (from one guy) about the Behringer DeepMind for a thread that's meant to be about OB6 vs Rev2

Back to the original topic, for certain sounds, I'd take the Rev2 over the OB6. For other sounds, OB6 all the way. I like having different colours. If I was on a limited budget, and didn't have many other polysynths, I'd pick the Rev2 as it's a far more flexible instrument. The DSI synths I own are a Prophet 12 and an OB6 which are much more comparable in price than the Rev2/OB6 and diverge even further in terms of sounds and features. They both have their place.
Old 5 days ago
  #71
Gear Addict
 
Shadowkast's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchestrion View Post
Will the release of the X force the price to come down ?
I think not. The Mopho X4 still retails for $1000 new. That might have been in line with the market 5 years ago, but seems overdue for an adjustment given the options the consumer has now. Frustrating to me because I want one, new with a warranty. But I ain't payin' that much for a 4 voice dco in 2018.
Old 5 days ago
  #72
Gear Addict
 

May i simply ask if you have played an OB-6?...but, I suspect not, given your question..

If the DM does it for you great, and i am happy for you, however since i bought the OB-6 I have been underwhelmed by pretty much everything else I have heard this last year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomized View Post
Are you sure you are not just justifying the money you spent on OB-6 when comparing it to the much cheaper Deepmind? I understand having preference of one synth vs another, but Deepmind sounds so good to me that I find it hard to believe anyone objective would be ”so disappointed by the Deepmind”. Of course, to get best sound out of DM, you need to know how to program it.

There are countless videos in Youtube to back my claim, but here’s one that compares DM to Jupiter-8, it gets pretty close:

Old 5 days ago
  #73
Gear Nut
 
apessino's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
I think not. The Mopho X4 still retails for $1000 new. That might have been in line with the market 5 years ago, but seems overdue for an adjustment given the options the consumer has now. Frustrating to me because I want one, new with a warranty. But I ain't payin' that much for a 4 voice dco in 2018.
That's how I feel about the Tempest - I really want one but it feels like it's overdue for a Rev 2 iteration and it's still at least $1900 OTD.
Old 5 days ago
  #74
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
May i simply ask if you have played an OB-6?...but, I suspect not, given your question..

If the DM does it for you great, and i am happy for you, however since i bought the OB-6 I have been underwhelmed by pretty much everything else I have heard this last year...
I have played OB-6 in a store. It has some of the classic Oberheim sound and sounds lot better than Rev2 but I wouldn’t call it mindblowing like some here. DM certainly satisfies my need for analog polysynth and I don’t see any need for OB-6 at the moment.
Old 5 days ago
  #75
Lives for gear
 
string6theory's Avatar
Well, my Deepmind went back after my 3-day deep dive into it’s rather underwhelming sonics... and my ears were literally hurting from the experience - I kid you not. It stood out amongst my other analog synths like a sore thumb and went straight back to the waters that are sweet for the OB - soon followed by the module version and the OB 6+6 was born.


LIFE IS WAY TOO SHORT. REMIND YOURSELF EVERY SINGLE DAY. GO FOR IT WHILE YOU STILL CAN MY SLUTTY FRIENDS.

Meaning don’t compromise on your creative muse and your music making dreams, if you can in any way help it. Make the financial sacrifice where it counts most and then worry about compromising on other less important stuff later (our lives our full of this less important crap). You’ll thank yourself down the line and hopefully be in a happier place.

All said, the OP cost difference whys and wherefores were covered up thread. You can’t really go wrong with any Dave Smith or Tom Oberheim synth. Follow your muse and ears to the one(s) that speak to you the best.

Old 5 days ago
  #76
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Well, my Deepmind went back after my 3-day deep dive into it’s rather underwhelming sonics... and my ears were literally hurting from the experience - I kid you not.
If that really is the case I think it probably tells more about you than Deepmind.. but to each his own of course.
Old 5 days ago
  #77
Lives for gear
 
string6theory's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomized View Post
If that really is the case I think it probably tells more about you than Deepmind.. but to each his own of course.
You can interpret whatever you think it “tells” about me, but the Deepmind sounds wrong = bad (or like soggy, pre-burned milk-toast, if you will) - to me and imo - and perpetually spews out timbres and tones that physically bothered and negatively impacted my ears by the third day... which was my learned, first hand, experienced conclusion. YMMV.

I wanted to like it, but it’s all horses for courses, of course, and the DM was an overhyped nag.
Old 4 days ago
  #78
Here for the gear
 

Yeah. Sometimes you really are *either* paying for bells and whistles *or* sound quality. As in, when there is a reasonable comparison to be made.

It’s the halfway approaches that disappoint the most, in my experience. In other words, might as well go full digital with a billion options, if options is your priority.

But hey, to each his own.
Old 4 days ago
  #79
Gear Head
 
guyaguy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimket View Post
Yeah. Sometimes you really are *either* paying for bells and whistles *or* sound quality. As in, when there is a reasonable comparison to be made.

It’s the halfway approaches that disappoint the most, in my experience. In other words, might as well go full digital with a billion options, if options is your priority.

But hey, to each his own.
Full digital was an option before I got my REV2 but I couldn’t find one with a feature set that matched the REV2’s (mod step seq, mod matrix, loads of LFOS etc). The Modal 002 does but at more than twice the price. Lots of software does but I wanted hardware. I think it’s just that synth markers know that analog is hip and put RND into more complex analog machines.
Old 4 days ago
  #80
I gotta chime in here, even though it's slightly off-topic. When I got my 16-voice Rev2 keyboard, I thought it sounded amazing. But when when I went to record some tracks, I kept going back to my VirusTI instead of the Rev2—it simply fit in the mix better. It was so buttery soft, and the Rev2 just sounded like a Rev2—alone, and "odd." I think it brought me to the conclusion that I actually prefer a good VA to almost any DSI synth (though I've only owned the Rev2, they all kind of sound the same to me).
Old 4 days ago
  #81
Gear Head
 
guyaguy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I gotta chime in here, even though it's slightly off-topic. When I got my 16-voice Rev2 keyboard, I thought it sounded amazing. But when when I went to record some tracks, I kept going back to my VirusTI instead of the Rev2—it simply fit in the mix better. It was so buttery soft, and the Rev2 just sounded like a Rev2—alone, and "odd." I think it brought me to the conclusion that I actually prefer a good VA to almost any DSI synth (though I've only owned the Rev2, they all kind of sound the same to me).
Many do, some don't. The P08, Rev2, Tetra, MoPho, and Evo line all use the same synth on a chip and have similar architecture so they're going to sound similar. All of those and the P6 and OB-6 use brassy filters of various types, and, while each filter sounds different, there is a tonal commonality in the same way that various Moog filters have a tonal commonality.
Old 4 days ago
  #82
Gear Nut
 
apessino's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I think it brought me to the conclusion that I actually prefer a good VA to almost any DSI synth (though I've only owned the Rev2, they all kind of sound the same to me).
Odd thing to say for someone who just dropped 4Gs on a Prophet X...
Old 4 days ago
  #83
Gear Nut
 
apessino's Avatar
Also, I am always confused when people talk of certain instruments not “sitting in the mix.” I mean... is there a reference mix we should all be checking against?

Maybe the problem is the mix, not the instrument...
Old 4 days ago
  #84
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Odd thing to say for someone who just dropped 4Gs on a Prophet X...
Isn’t Prophet X a VA (in addition to being a rompler) though?
Old 4 days ago
  #85
Gear Addict
 
dsetto's Avatar
 

When I checked once, I found a Virus TI to have a tiny bit of lag. ... Absolute juiciest, analog-est mono wall to the most flexible all-in-one digital are the two ends of the spectrum I see. Everything else in between is a compromise. Rev2's lack of lag makes it the right compromise for me.

The filter, pan, & VCA mods to the X's digital oscillators are analog. That part isn't VA.
Old 4 days ago
  #86
Lives for gear
 
adydub's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomized View Post
Isn’t Prophet X a VA (in addition to being a rompler) though?
No. I guess you either don’t know what a VA is or you don’t know much about the Prophet X.

Each voice has a couple of sample based oscillators, a couple of DSP based oscs and some digital fx. This gets passed to one of the sixteen D/A converters and the rest of the per voice audio chain from that point is in the analog domain, filters, VCA’s etc. It’s a hybrid much like the Pro 2 and Prophet 12. The sixteen analogue voice channels end up in a pair of 8 into 2 summing mixers and the signal gets tapped there for the digital fx.
Old 4 days ago
  #87
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub View Post
No. I guess you either don’t know what a VA is or you don’t know much about the Prophet X.

Each voice has a couple of sample based oscillators, a couple of DSP based oscs and some digital fx. This gets passed to one of the sixteen D/A converters and the rest of the per voice audio chain from that point is in the analog domain, filters, VCA’s etc. It’s a hybrid much like the Pro 2 and Prophet 12. The sixteen analogue voice channels end up in a pair of 8 into 2 summing mixers and the signal gets tapped there for the digital fx.
I think I know what VA is. I think it could also be argued that if the oscillators are digital representations of analog waveforms, they are ”virtual analog”. Though you could say it is a ”hybrid” synth since filter / vca are apparently analog.

I must admit I haven’t really studied Prophet X much since it seems just crazy much money for what you get compared to some sample based instruments available in software.
Old 4 days ago
  #88
Lives for gear
 
adydub's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomized View Post
I think I know what VA is. I think it could also be argued that if the oscillators are digital representations of analog waveforms, they are ”virtual analog”.
You can argue anything you like if you don’t care about being completely wrong. VA means the entire voice path of a synth is a digital model of an analogue synth with the whole thing described by code. A DSP oscillator is just that, a digital oscillator.
Old 4 days ago
  #89
Gear Nut
 
apessino's Avatar
Yup - and the PX is not a “rompler” either, so you can argue that one too.
Old 4 days ago
  #90
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Yup - and the PX is not a “rompler” either, so you can argue that one too.
Care to elaborate? How is it not a rompler in addition to being a synth with digital oscillators? It has a hard drive with samples, right?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump