The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is vintage gear still worth the high prices ..? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

The question shouldn’t be “is it worth it? “. It should be “can I afford it?”
It’s obviously worth it for at least some of the people paying current prices or the price would come down
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I still see TB 303's for 4k, SH 101's for $1500, Prophet 5's for 6k but really these instruments are seriously getting on in age and does anyone really care now if you have the real thing, have these prices plateau'd or will they always command these high prices..?

With so much cool new gear around now it kinda seems daft to fork out these prices for old gear no..?
I kinda like having a mix of new and old stuff.
There’s some stuff I would pay the current price if I had the money. Like the 101, I sold my last one to fund a bigger purchase with the intention of getting another when I could afford it but then prices went crazy and funds went elsewhere. Other stuff like Waldorf Microwave I wouldn’t pay current prices. Sold mine when they were still going for £200 -£300.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear
I don't think the prices vintage polys go for these days are worth it. I also don't see prices going down. Excluding collectors and musicians who have "made it", there are plenty of SW emulations and modern HW that will get you close enough for a fraction of the price.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

if i had $6000 to spend, would i buy 1 Prophet 5 or a whole hardware setup consisting of multiple VA's and outboard?
personally for actually making music i would choose the latter
Old 10th July 2018
For my purposes classics have the following positive attributes...

Sound - yes the sound is important

Robust, durable physical construction
Through hole circuitry I find much easier to repair than SMT

History - I’m a sucker for it. I love to own something my favorite artists of the past used.

Design - modern designs have improved but still lack some individuality or go to the opposite extreme (Roland neon for example). It’s a toss up between snore boring and please gouge my eyes out

Simplicity - no worries about USB compatibility or software integration or new feature updates it just does what it does - be a musical instrument.

And compatibility. They seemed better with this in the past.

Is all of this worth more money? Sometimes it is. And especially when there’s no modern alternatives anyway. If I could afford it I’d gladly drop a chunk of good money on a Synthacon or an EMS or CS80 or Polaris. Only have the originals. Imo none of the truly interesting synths are being cloned and probably never will be.
Only the old top 40 and dancefloor classics I’ve been sick of hearing since last millennium are getting remade
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post

I don't know when this analog vintage craze started, but it's clearly out of control. Most of the popular vintage synths are hideously over-valued in my opinion. I wouldn't pay what they're asking for any of these units. I typically hunt for bargains, not synths that have appreciated ten-fold. The classic car analogy is a good one. If you're rich enough, and you just WANT it just to HAVE it, those are the guys pushing the prices up.

Accounting for inflation almost none of the big expensive vintage synths even go for what they went for new. 10k for a Jupiter 8 is still a discount.

These things were absolute top of the line, ultra high end, cutting edge technology when they came out. The modern stuff is mostly not built to the same level. Not even close. My P6 feels like a toy compared to my JP8.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I had to pay $850 for a 10-year-old Roland M-1000 S/PDIF digital line mixer because it's the only device on the planet that does this—and I needed it.
If you find something that fills a gap for you and the price makes sense in your context that’s all that matters. FYI: there are probably other options you may not be aware of. The MotU 8D provides sample rate conversion, mixing, EQ, compression, etc. for eight channels of digital audio in and eight out with a typical price, new, of less than $600. It’s also part of their AVB lineup so it integrates well its their current crop of interfaces to pair what it does with analog I/O.
Old 10th July 2018
Deleted User
I dabbled with vintage by buying, then selling a CS-40m.
I am now over 55, and I will be not be hauling 55 lb gear around.
These vintage pieces weight too much, regardless of tone.
I vote NO,
(Gimme a Vermona Polysynth instead)
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

I love E type jags, Old 911's, old works of art, antique furniture.
Classic synths are like that, but most are appreciating assets that should beat the stock market as an investment. Coupled with the usefulness compares to a commodity like gold, they are sort of no brainers if you have the space for them and look after them.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I still see TB 303's for 4k, SH 101's for $1500, Prophet 5's for 6k but really these instruments are seriously getting on in age and does anyone really care now if you have the real thing, have these prices plateau'd or will they always command these high prices..?

With so much cool new gear around now it kinda seems daft to fork out these prices for old gear no..?
Yes, it’s daft. But people are daft, and you can’t reason with them
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

If I had the money to burn, if spring for a P10. Gorgeous machine. I actually got to touch one back in the day, but at the time, I could even afford a Max. :(
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Head

I actually find vintage gear quite reasonable, if done correctly. Unless I run into a stupid good deal on something, I will only buy vintage gear that needs to be fixed. Older gear is quite serviceable compared to the new stuff.

One quick example: bought a cosmetically beautiful TR-808 earlier this year for $500 because it wouldn't power on. Turn to find out, the on/off button needed cleaning. Took me less than 30 minutes to get it 100% functional.

Just like classic cars, if you really want to dive into the world of vintage gear, you should also learn how they work, how to troubleshoot, and fix them. If you are strictly relying on professionals to help keep them going (classic cars OR gear), things can go sour quickly! Unless you are a high flying professional with the pocketbook to support, of course.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrokenframe View Post
Just like classic cars, if you really want to dive into the world of vintage gear, you should also learn how they work, how to troubleshoot, and fix them.
If you’d rather spend time becoming a tech than becoming a better musician.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
AUD & exaggerations. Don't get ya hopes up.
Only a matter of time
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
I play as much music as I want to.

It is possible to have more than one interest and be good at all of them. Because I also like working on old cars, does that make me a worst musician because I spend time in the garage?

AND knowing how a synth functions down to the circuitry has made me an even better musician because I have a better understanding of what the sound is doing!

Just like music, fixing gear is a skillset learned over a long period of time from just being interested in it.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

It is possible to have more than one interest and be good at all of them. Because I also like working on old cars, does that make me a worst musician because I spend time in the garage?

AND knowing how a synth functions down to the circuitry has made me an even better musician because I have a better understanding of what the sound is doing!

Just like music, fixing gear is a skillset learned over a long period of time from just being interested in it.
It is nice that you have the time to do all those things.

That is the dream. I wish I could do that.

I have to prioritize my hobby time.

I sold most of my vintage because of time spent with a soldering iron.

And not a metronome.
Old 10th July 2018
Quote:

it.
It makes you a bad driver
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Unanswerable question mate. Living in a cardboard box using a Timbre Wolf to make Vaporwave-Hyphy-Step that you publish on your own indy label by uploading your mixes from your phone? Nah - prolly not 'worth it' on the other hand... Tech weenie billionaire Rush fan looking to decorate your 'music room' in your summer house in Andalusia? Yeah - prolly worth it. Every one else? Yep - same question / same answer. Personally? Well... I've got most of em already and have been fortunate to have gotten them back when they weren't worth sheet. If I wanted something I still don't have? Well...

The price of a CS-80 makes it uninteresting and I am not poor, I just said I have plenty of nice vintage analog polys and how many are enough? I might buy a DD but then again - I just said I have enough analog poly - I'd be more interested in something different so modern...? YEAH. OB-6 seems cool as heck. I am not happy about paying my local celebrity gear guru to fix up my cool drum machines - oops - I mean 'Limited memory samplers without zones or keygroups that focus on pads and step sequencers' but I love these 'drum machines' like they are my children and they sound like Fred Flintstone hitting a rock with a dinosaur bone so the money is worth it - I am keeping them and I don'yt mind the price of fixing them.

Worth it? I think my opinion would change if there was a zombie apocalypse and will definitely change when win the lottery.
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
It is nice that you have the time to do all those things.

That is the dream. I wish I could do that.

I have to prioritize my hobby time.

I sold most of my vintage because of time spent with a soldering iron.

And not a metronome.
I understand. Many hobby related things rightfully take second seat to other factors in life: career, family, school, survival, etc.

That being said, hobbies cost money that should be spent on those same factors of life. Knowing how to fix gear is a work around for acquiring the tools that I want without going too far negative. In many cases, it's a way to make an extra buck to put back into said hobby.

I just feel like there's plenty of other meaningless activities throughout the week to try and remove instead of time spent learning a skill. I'm speaking broadly, but TV/Video games/unproductive internet seem to be the biggest ones for a lot of people I know.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
... vintage synths are mostly reserved for people with enough money and dealers.
Several of the guys I know with huge vintage synth collections also have their own personal erm... dealers... for er... stuff.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would say yes, it's daft unless you either have very specific needs (eg MUST have exact sound of Prophet-5) or lots of cash to burn. There is so much great stuff out there now to be had new. I don't think I could bring myself to pay the going rate for any of my vintage synths should I ever need to replace them. And were I just starting out, I wouldn't even consider it. I would get something like an OB-6 or Prophet-6/8/12 and invest the rest in modular.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Becoming a tech pays better than most musicians could dream of. Not to mention you can buy cheap broken gear and fix it, keep it or flip it. I paid for a lot of my studio this way.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

I'm not convinced there are many magical sounds which only vintage can do. The 303 is an obvious one but surely there aren't many more. I'm betting it was a muscian's performance on an instrument they liked that is the sound you lust, not the synthesizer itself.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
invest the rest in modular.
Oh dear. Is that the sound of synth pop dying?
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
It is funny how everyone speculate that modern gear won't last as long without any evidence. Nord Lead 1, JP8000, Supernovas and many other instruments from the 90's early 2000's are going strong. I don't think there is any reason to think they won't last as much, maybe even more due to better quality at electronic components.
For every vintage synth that has failing components you have just as many Andromedas that can't get past the bootloader, JD-990s and a host of others with expensive to replace displays, Waldorf Microwave XTs that get irreversibly stuck in a firmware upgrade loop, and many modern synths with encoders that go bad and flash/solid state storage that can become irreversibly corrupt. How about synths made during the 'dodgy caps' era in the 90s where power supplies in everything were frying themselves left and right? I won't even get into the dreaded 'last official OS still has bugs that were never addressed or fixed and no one has the source code' syndrome.

tl;dr: Well made equipment is well made, regardless of age. If the manufacturer cared enough to make it right the first time and provided support well after the shelf life of the product then that is the exception, and consider yourself lucky.

FWIW, you used to be able to ring Roland and they'd direct you to one of their service centers which still stocked parts for many vintage items. A few years ago when I last checked Roland Canada still stocked many of the harder to get parts for both the Jupiter-4 and Jupiter-8. When Alesis stopped making the Andromeda and the supply of the ASICs and other custom chips dried up that was it, you were SOL.
Old 10th July 2018
PES
Lives for gear

The more rare they are, the more expensive they get. The more expensive they are, the more worth having they must be. The more worth having they are, the more you are willing to pay.

And the race is on.

If I’d buy vintage it should be a bargain and sound like dust and dirt.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Becoming a tech pays better than most musicians could dream of. Not to mention you can buy cheap broken gear and fix it, keep it or flip it. I paid for a lot of my studio this way.
I’m no tech pro but I’m doing exactly this. I have a decent rig that’s cost me $0 as of now after being into it for a couple of years.
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Addict

imho the vintage gear hype was a result of the market being quite boring for at least 15 years.. there haven't been much interesting synths in the 90's and even less in the early 00's.. When I started the only 2 affordable options in my price region for a new analog mono synth have been the mfb synth 2 and the desktop evolver whereas the used market was full with cool vintage gear which cost the same or even less.. bad luck for me that I didn't have enough clue/experience and money at that time
that was when the price spiral started turning, not much to choose from in the new gear market and the rise of ebay with all this vintage gear.. I remember ebay in the early 00's when it was full with Junos, 101s, literally everything has been sold for relatively good prices but people have already complained back then how expensive a 909 for 800 euros is and they'd never pay that much money for one
people started to buy, and suddenly the prices started to rise since the demand got bigger and the supply of course decreased.. now the second hand market for vintage is dead, noone is willing to sell even if they don't use these synths anymore since it might be even worth more in a couple of months.. suplly is at a minimum and the couple of sellers are asking skyrocking prices, which is ok of course if people pay that money.
I guess prices are going to rise even more.. 15 years ago it wasn't hard to find synth x/y for a reasonable price, you just had to wait 1 or 2 weeks and there was one on ebay, no matter which one. Now you have to wait months to find certain synths for sale and then you are mostly shocked about the price the good thing is, that a nice new second hand gear market is slowly coming up with all these new synths which have been released over the last 10 years. so it's already woth it again to search for some bargains, just not vintage.
vintage is cool, but for some of us it's too late to get the one or other synth, unless rich of course.
Old 11th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Serious question: who exactly MUST have the sound of something like a Prophet-5? The nostalgia bands that I've seen all seem to use modern synths on stage, and so their cover bands should be able to get away with it too. For new music, will a vintage synth be the factor that makes or breaks a song? Some of them do sound a little fatter or somehow better to me, but who actually MUST have a vintage synth in order to make their music? Alot of people would prefer the option, but if you're paying for a J8 or P10, with the price difference vs emulations, then you must really really need the original for some reason, right? If it's more than just collectors, and highly $ucce$$ful stars, then who is paying these prices? Maybe potential cloners, but I think it's mostly for collectors.

But I have no idea, in truth, who is paying these prices and if that market is sustainable or merely the exponential expansion of a bubble before it bursts.
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

What drives the synth market is the same thing that drives all the other markets at this point in time: People invest in known things rather than ideas, that's a consequence of the economic situation we live in since the financial crash of 2008.

If it were all about pure sound quality people would pay a lot more for a Chroma Polaris than they actually do. But there's very little in terms of association to famous artists and/or well-known songs with it.

Also, the more accessible a piece of gear, the easier it sells. You more or less need to be a musician to get something good out of a DX7 by itself. But almost anyone can play with a TR-909 or SH-101 and generate usefull sounds.

Aside from all that, personally I think an SP-1200, TR-808, TB-303, 70s Minimoog etc. is sonically superior to all the clones and wannabees. So for an acomplished musician these are more desireable and thus will fetch higher prices. But I doubt this to be what mainly drives the current market.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search