The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is vintage gear still worth the high prices ..? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 10th July 2018
  #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by space skeleton View Post
. . . Or actual investments.
Well said!
Old 10th July 2018
  #32
Also, new products like Deckard's Dream and the OB-X kickstarter project are making actual vintage hardware less and less relevant or useful.
Old 10th July 2018
  #33
Lives for gear
 
BassX's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
My 70's Marshall JMP has never had a single issue in the time I've owned it
A vintage synthesizer has a whole lot more components inside than a guitar amplifier.
Old 10th July 2018
  #34
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
A vintage synthesizer has a whole lot more components inside than a guitar amplifier.
Not really the point is it. The point is its 40+ years old and more reliable than plenty of its modern equivalents which still have less components.

Age is not a guarantee of reliaility/unreliability.

If its simple a matter of components, than a vintage mono is way less of a risk than a vintage poly. So why are we grouping them all together when one is 6-8x times the risk?
Old 10th July 2018
  #35
Lives for gear
 
oldgearguy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
I don't own it, but there's a Lexicon 70 for sale up the road from me, for a reasonable price (not cheap, but not outrageous), that personally I'm afraid of buying. It works fine now, but when it breaks, is there a tech in the usa who can fix it?
Beamish Electric in Cleveland, Ohio for old Lexicon, old Eventide repairs.
Old 10th July 2018
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Acidizer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Most of my equipment is 40 - 60 years old. New stuff breaks down all the time and much of it I can't fix. The things that crumble within old stuff is usually old insulation, rubber and plastics.

What vintage things have you owned that cannot be repaired easily?
don't own vintage stuff. and yes it should be easier to repair than newer stuff because it is simpler and everything is macroscopic. but my point was anything that is 40 years old is going to be classed as fragile and prone to failure. and the repair guy is usually a niche find. where as new stuff shouldn't need repair at all - and if it does go kaput, it is hardly a rare item that has been around longer than myself.

it is a bit sad to think of things like V-synth perhaps will go extinct but that is in the future and i'd be more wary of shipping a jupiter-8 than a V-synth durability wise at this point.

people buy new cars when the old one becomes too decrepit and costly to maintain. if you want to keep it however, then it should be handled with care.
Old 10th July 2018
  #37
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
The challenge to vintage gear is when it breaks you have to find someone to fix it, and that person has to find the parts to fix it.

Often times what makes vintage gear desirable is that it's unique and what makes it unique is very rare hard or impossible to find parts

I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on something that could break in a few weeks or even a few years and then cost thousands more to repair it can't be repaired because it needs some unobtainable part

Or in order to be repaired, has to be shipped to some far away place where it sits for months on end

No thank you
Old 10th July 2018
  #38
Lives for gear
 
autoy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
The challenge to vintage gear is when it breaks you have to find someone to fix it, and that person has to find the parts to fix it.

Often times what makes vintage gear desirable is that it's unique and what makes it unique is very rare hard or impossible to find parts

I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on something that could break in a few weeks or even a few years and then cost thousands more to repair it can't be repaired because it needs some unobtainable part

Or in order to be repaired, has to be shipped to some far away place where it sits for months on end

No thank you
The reality however is that most of the failures come to mechanical issues and not so many electrical. If you learn how to solve knobs, faders and key contacts you can grab things much cheaper than the newer gear. Seriously, electrical failures happen too but many are as easy as changing a common off-the shelf chip or you just find reissue chips done today. You have to be really unlucky to have an extremely rare part failing. I do prefer the common train of thought to be along what you say though, that's what's making things like vintage MS-20s drop down in price like crazy.
Old 10th July 2018
  #39
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on something that could break in a few weeks or even a few years and then cost thousands more to repair it can't be repaired because it needs some unobtainable part

Or in order to be repaired, has to be shipped to some far away place where it sits for months on end

No thank you
although it's handy when you can repair or service it yourself. but if you look after your vintage instruments properly and not abuse them or take them out on the road, they will last. but if you are not versed in basic electronics, do not attempt to repair, modify or service it yourself. that's how most vintage gear screws up or doesn't work, by someone attempting to do a DIY job with no knowledge whatsoever.

spare parts for 303's, 808's, 909's etc are out there. the ALPS buttons they use are available from most electronic stores like mouser etc. and often ebay sellers sell spare parts (some at crazy prices though).

but as i said if you look after your gear, it will look after itself.
Old 10th July 2018
  #40
Lives for gear
 

what about the ergonomics of having smaller more 'liveable' gear?
getting the impression more people are opting for the modern
version as more convenient and usable.
Old 10th July 2018
  #41
Gear Head
 

Yes,no,perhaps,maybe.

b.
Old 10th July 2018
  #42
Lives for gear
 

All this make me think that my venerable old Sh-101 will never need A DISPLAY, like my much less old Jedi will probably need sooner or later.

Until a few months ago, there was no way to find a jedi display.

Wonder in what state will be the beringoid displays in 40 years, if beringoid is still alive, and can provide new displays.

In a sense very old can be better than simply old sometimes (think Andromeda), or brand new as in 'soon to be old combined with programmed obsolescence'....
Old 10th July 2018
  #43
Lives for gear
 
roland4387's Avatar
This is a groundhog’s day thread that’s been beaten to death. It’s really not hard to understand the free market. Is a two bedroom apartment in San Francisco or London worth $1,000,000+? Not to me, but it is to a lot of people. There ya have it.
Old 10th July 2018
  #44
Lives for gear
 
login's Avatar
It is funny how everyone speculate that modern gear won't last as long without any evidence. Nord Lead 1, JP8000, Supernovas and many other instruments from the 90's early 2000's are going strong. I don't think there is any reason to think they won't last as much, aybe even more due to better quality at electronic components.
Old 10th July 2018
  #45
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
It is funny how everyone speculate that modern gear won't last as long without any evidence. Nord Lead 1, JP8000, Supernovas and many other instruments from the 90's early 2000's are going strong. I don't think there is any reason to think they won't last as much, aybe even more due to better quality at electronic components.
A lot of JP8k knobs are pretty wobbly at this point, and RM1x's from the same era have key button issues. The Korg Prophecy in my experience also starts having issues with the outputs/buttons. The MC-505 has display issues... etc etc.

I'm not saying that these are unfixable, but there's definitely some problems with 90s stuff.
Old 10th July 2018
  #46
Gear Addict
 

This thread made me count the number of repairs i had to do over the years.
Including drum machines, i have 19 vintage synths (some of them sold now), all overs 30 years old, some are more than 40years old by now. On those 19 synths, i had to do 5 repairs/fixing/overhaul. Those 5 repairs cost me 1100$. 1100$ of repairs needed on a total of 19 vintage synths is not that bad. I see people spending that money on plug-ins in 6months. And i am confident about my synths for years. Most of those stuff are really really well built, i recently got a synth that use to cost about 2500$ in 76 (korg pe1000) it would be like 11000$ in 2018 money. Its built like a ****ing tank !!! Vintage synths and the analogy with a vintage car is wrong, you won’t break your synth by switching it on and playing it, its quite the opposite actually, it like the electricity and to be played. but as soon as you ride your car (vintage or not) the money is burning...
Im wondering if modern stuff will last that long. I read a post about a guy complaining to a shop about his broken 1year old drumbrute, then when he tried the one displayed in the shop it was broken too
Old 10th July 2018
  #47
Lives for gear
 
autoy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
It is funny how everyone speculate that modern gear won't last as long without any evidence. Nord Lead 1, JP8000, Supernovas and many other instruments from the 90's early 2000's are going strong. I don't think there is any reason to think they won't last as much, aybe even more due to better quality at electronic components.
They're not. Caps are failing like crazy (specially late 90s caps), all units with encoders eventually fail and they all suffer from the same mechanical issues as older vintage gear but with much worse quality electronics on top.
Old 10th July 2018
  #48
Lives for gear
 
intuitionnyc's Avatar
OMG!!!! Are TB 303's really going for $4,000!?!?!?! I have a OG 303 with the Devilfish mod. I love the thing, but I may have to sell the damn thing if I can get a good price. I just don't know if I see the point in keeping it.
Old 10th July 2018
  #49
With hardware rapidly coming out cloning and providing alternatives, no.
Old 10th July 2018
  #50
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by intuitionnyc View Post
OMG!!!! Are TB 303's really going for $4,000!?!?!?! I have a OG 303 with the Devilfish mod. I love the thing, but I may have to sell the damn thing if I can get a good price. I just don't know if I see the point in keeping it.
AUD & exaggerations. Don't get ya hopes up.
Old 10th July 2018
  #51
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by intuitionnyc View Post
OMG!!!! Are TB 303's really going for $4,000!?!?!?! I have a OG 303 with the Devilfish mod. I love the thing, but I may have to sell the damn thing if I can get a good price. I just don't know if I see the point in keeping it.
At least this thread will possibly make an happy reader
Old 10th July 2018
  #52
Lives for gear
 

Some is, most isn’t
Old 10th July 2018
  #53
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
Yes if you are a tech

Or you have a great tech nearby

Last edited by drockfresh; 10th July 2018 at 06:11 PM..
Old 10th July 2018
  #54
Is money still worth money?
Old 10th July 2018
  #55
Lives for gear
 
soundebler's Avatar
Yep vintage gear get appreciated for its sonic signature and not how good it may look and price will have relation to this . The 40 year old synth is still a very modern instrument compared to early electronic instruments with bulbs and large electronic parts . The car comparison would be a 40 year old car can drive very well and do not know how steam cars drives but guess that would not fit in current traffic
Old 10th July 2018
  #56
Here for the gear
 

Vintage Synths

There's no general answer to say if the prices are worth for the synths. Bad soundquality of an old synth of the seventies or eigthies could be useful for some genres and some producers - otherones will not like it - but it's individual for each person. Here's a list with the best vintage synths ever. Some of them are signed with the prices.

Best Vintage Synths ever
Old 10th July 2018
  #57
Lives for gear
 
fwet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
Is money still worth money?
How can people afford new? The vintage stuff keeps its value or appreciates.

Last time I checked that TB 303 was around 2000 usd a few years ago.
Old 10th July 2018
  #58
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwet View Post
How can people afford new? The vintage stuff keeps its value or appreciates.
So far my experience with new has been bugs, updates, broken features, reseating loose connectors and incompatibilities that baffle the mind.
In my experience new is as or more failure prone than old. If I’m forced to constantly take corrective measures I’d rather put the effort into a classic because as mentioned, it appreciates.
Old 10th July 2018
  #59
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwet View Post
Last time I checked that TB 303 was around 2000 usd a few years ago.
my last TB-303 (3rd one) cost 600 bucks. and they are 36 years old now.
Old 10th July 2018
  #60
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourfun View Post
With hardware rapidly coming out cloning and providing alternatives, no.
Is there any evidence of that? There are more clones and reissues in hardware and software than ever before, yet prices for the real thing continue to rise.

I'd offer an alternative hypothesis. The clones and reissues educate a whole new generation about the originals, causing them to seek them out, so they actually create more demand for the "real thing."
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump