The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Neutron Custom Overlay Showcase Modular Synthesizers
Old 9th July 2018
Here for the gear
Behringer Neutron Custom Overlay Showcase

Long before production units of the Behringer Neutron desktop semi-modular synthesizer arrived in the hands of end-user musicians, there was a lot of talk of peoples reactions - positive and negative - to the choice of red for the color of the Neutron's faceplate as well as the relatively "busy" or "wild" patterns of the faceplate graphics:

In April 2018, synthesist Mick Gründer posted an image of his design for a replacement Neutron faceplate overlay, as mentioned in an article on Synthtopia:

Then in mid-June, on the Behringer Neutron discussion thread here on GearSlutz, user @Heinakroon posted images of a number of Neutron faceplate overlay ideas he sketched up:

@Heinakroon has continued to sketch up and share images of more face panel overlays, and even caught the attention of Uli Behringer, who has shared size-accurate art files of the Neutron faceplate and even suggested he may "consider producing a limited Neutron edition based on the most liked design".

Also, user @StarfishMusic has shared some custom Neutron faceplates he's designed.

Inspired by @Heinakroon's work, I myself have started working on and posting sketches of ideas for Neutron faceplate overlays and since I work at a print shop, I am looking into how I could produce custom-made-to-order pre-cut printed overlays for a fair price.

A couple of users have suggested it would be better to start a new thread dedicated to Behringer Neutron face panel overlays, so here it is!

Hopefully @Heinakroon and @StarfishMusic won't mind re-posting images of their designs here, anyone else inspired to create overlays joins in as well, and that @Uli Behringer might stop in and have a peek!
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Right-o. A new thread - splendid!

I will re-post my latest designs here, for reference.

'Colours'

'After hours'

'Vintage'

'Modern'

'Drifter'

'1966 - Mint'

'1966 - Tan'

'1966 - Storm'

'Mean green machine'

'Lovelace - Maroon'

'Lovelace - Prussian'

'Lovelace - Oatmeal'

'Lovelace - Slate'

'Euroracked'

'100m'

'Murky'

'500cal'

'Red'

'Hейтрон'

'Podular'

Last edited by Heinakroon; 4th September 2018 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Added the Podular design
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

(Mind you, some of these are being updated so I'll re-upload those and change the images once done.)

Like this, having labels for backplate connectors and switches, and alt-press key labels for the 'hidden' functions:

Click for full resolution
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Those are really nice! Much better than the original IMO. Really dig the vintage and modern ones, as well as the Russian Neutron and vintage mint.
Old 10th July 2018
I disagree that posts about overlays is OT to the original thread. Both Heinakroon and I got plenty of attention, questions and likes on the Neutron thread but there probably will not be enough posts to keep this "overlay" thread in the first 5 pages of the EM section of GS. As long as the overlay posts are used without constant spamming, it is very much on topic, otherwise people wouldn't keep commenting on them. Having this seperate thread is cool though and here are mine. I've redone the links so now you can just click right on my pictures and zoom in after if you want too see the full detail.

My concept of design (being a liker of the original red design!) seems to be pretty different to the others I've seen so far. People designing these overlays seem to be basing their thinking on the many that have complained about the Neutron look as wild and flamboyant. I think these complainers are synth hipsters that must have their synths as subdued as possible looking! I'm willing to be at least some people like a more adventurous design.

Last edited by StarfishMusic; 10th July 2018 at 12:36 PM..
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
Those are really nice! Much better than the original IMO. Really dig the vintage and modern ones, as well as the Russian Neutron and vintage mint.
Thank you! I just noticed that the 1966 designs were missing some labels, so I've updated them.

And I didn't really think anyone but me would like the Polivoks-inspired one... Thanks!
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Maniac

please no large files sizes, that will kill the thread off
Old 10th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroFunk View Post
please no large files sizes, that will kill the thread off
I really have no idea what you're talking about, and when people put facepalm emojis like everyone's supposed to just know with no explanation it really reminds me of:
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Neutron Custom Overlay Showcase-sfw_ferrell_bird.jpg  
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Maniac

I shall explain! many of the above piks are 750kb is size, each takes time to download and uses bandwith (which is what we all pay for and often have a limit on) - the web browser will often "resize" (reduce) the image to fit the screen. On my screen for example the same image has a filesize of 65k, less than a tenth of the filesize for the same visual information. So at least there is over a factor of ten in download data, plus the speed of download. All this is basic webpage design HTML stuff, hence a facepalm as if to say, anyone who can set up an synth with all those knobs and buttons had the brains so really needs to get this sorted! It's basic stuff.

OK I know some of you are now going to react (knee jerk) but that's to be expected, and franky I'm not interested.

Other than that, some have criticized Uli for not being "innovative" with regards releasing clones, I don't care, but what he and you guys are doing IS new and deffo fits the category of innovative. How many synth manufacturers have released THEIR design files so uses can design their own synth front panel?. Maybe I don't know (pls don't retaliate with a facepalm) - if a synth manufactuer the size of Beh. has ever done that before. Anyway, big up for Uli for releasing he design files and to everyone showing off their designs. (small files pls!)
Old 10th July 2018
Quote:
I shall explain! many of the above piks are 750kb is size, each takes time to download and uses bandwith (which is what we all pay for and often have a limit on) - the web browser will often "resize" (reduce) the image to fit the screen. On my screen for example the same image has a filesize of 65k, less than a tenth of the filesize for the same visual information. So at least there is over a factor of ten in download data, plus the speed of download. All this is basic webpage design HTML stuff, hence a facepalm as if to say, anyone who can set up an synth with all those knobs and buttons had the brains so really needs to get this sorted! It's basic stuff.
Not everyone looks at the internet on a phone every time and we've worked real hard to make these images so I would like their detail to be seen. 750kb is a pittance compared to youtube videos. A page full of 750kb pics is still less than one video at a decent length and resolution. My own pics are max 84kb btw and that's only if you click on them. Also why assume synth people are web design people?

I get unlimited 4G data on my phone and it has a huge 6 inch screen. I like to zoom in on pictures to see the detail too. I spend hours on Craigslist and Offer Up every single day. The pictures you are talking about are a tiny fraction of normal web surfing even at a higher res. I mean how many huge pictures do you think there will be?

Your 56k dial up cellphone should be able to handle this.

Last edited by StarfishMusic; 10th July 2018 at 12:32 PM..
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

When I read the complaint about the size of the pictures I thought I was back in 1995 with my 386.
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Maniac

I like the color-coded sections with matching patch-points idea, but...

Clearly the Overdrive section should be brown, the Envelope should be manilla, Sample & Hold should be, uh, pee colored, Delay should be red, Noise is obviously white, Oscillators a "hot" color, Filter a "cool" color, and so on...

Maybe call it Evocative Colors or something.
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

OK I know some of you are now going to react (knee jerk) but that's to be expected, and franky I'm not interested. (small files pls!)
Personally, while I'm looking at these on my phone I always zoom in to see the details, and so I appreciate the larger detailed files.
PRO TIP: Wait for Wi-Fi access before viewing videos or large image files.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post

I like this one a lot, good job!
Old 10th July 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinakroon View Post
Right-o. A new thread - splendid!

I will re-post my latest designs here, for reference.
My two favorites are 'Euroracked' &'Hейтрон'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
I disagree that posts about overlays is OT to the original thread. Both Heinakroon and I got plenty of attention, questions and likes on the Neutron thread but there probably will not be enough posts to keep this "overlay" thread in the first 5 pages of the EM section of GS. As long as the overlay posts are used without constant spamming, it is very much on topic, otherwise people wouldn't keep commenting on them. Having this seperate thread is cool though and here are mine.
I veered away from agreeing that overlay posts are OT, and can see both pros and cons of a separate thread. Yes, it won't garner as much attention as the main Neutron thread, but at the same time posts of custom overlay ideas do get a bit lost in the now over 3000 post count.

But by all means don't stop posting new overlay ideas in the main thread if you disagree that it's OT! I just made this new thread attempting to be helpful and have zero ego or sense of self-worth attached to its success or failure.

And, back to the point of this thread, I just want to say... I love your purple design!

Quote:
I shall explain! many of the above piks are 750kb is size, each takes time to download and uses bandwith (which is what we all pay for and often have a limit on)
For my part, I will try my best to post small-bandwidth "thumbnails" in my posts which when clicked on will open a new tab with a large, high resolution, & detailed version of the mock-up image, which will immediately KILL anyone's severely limited internet usage quota. So don't click it if that's a concern for you.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

OK I know some of you are now going to react (knee jerk) but that's to be expected, and franky I'm not interested.

Other than that, some have criticized Uli for not being "innovative" with regards releasing clones, I don't care, but what he and you guys are doing IS new and deffo fits the category of innovative. How many synth manufacturers have released THEIR design files so uses can design their own synth front panel?. Maybe I don't know (pls don't retaliate with a facepalm) - if a synth manufactuer the size of Beh. has ever done that before. Anyway, big up for Uli for releasing he design files and to everyone showing off their designs. (small files pls!)
I'd gotten into my head that I had used low(er) resolution preview images but it turns out that they were all full resolution. Sorry about that - it's now been fixed.
Old 10th July 2018
VST
Lives for gear

Really like the Oatmeal and 100m versions. Thanks for the effort!
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Maniac
Really good idea for a thread. Will probably be looking at these seriously after my Neutron arrives
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear
Absolutely beautiful!!!

I would really like to see some Star Wars ones please
Old 14th July 2018
Here for the gear

some great designs ,
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

A new and slightly more organic overlay design:

'Podular'

(Click for full resolution)
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

(I think the right hand side still feels a bit sterile; I'll have to figure something out to make it more interesting.)
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

Perhaps something like this?

'Podular 1b'

Last edited by Heinakroon; 17th July 2018 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: wrong screenie
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

i think the 1966 versions and lovelace all have the superior charm and class, i also like 100m

the lovelace maroon reminds me so much of a plugin i have and it's killing me which one but there is no way i am scouring them

anything with a separate colour for the patch bay is an instant turnoff and i cannot even think to look at the "podular" design above, all good work though so don't take it personally

Last edited by Jamie munro; 17th July 2018 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: podular not popular
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VST View Post
Really like the Oatmeal and 100m versions. Thanks for the effort!
Thanks!

The Lovelace set (with the Oatmeal version) was an attempt to illustrate what an electronic synthesiser could have looked like had they been invented in the early 19th century. I kind of like how they turned out.

The 100m is of course a tribute to the Roland 100M modular system, and was suggested in the main Neutron thread, as a variant of the Euroracked design.
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
i think the 1966 versions and lovelace all have the superior charm and class, i also like 100m

the lovelace maroon reminds me so much of a plugin i have and it's killing me which one but there is no way i am scouring them

anything with a separate colour for the patch bay is an instant turnoff and i cannot even think to look at the "podular" design above, all good work though so don't take it personally
Thank you!

Haha, now you've got me wondering what plugin it looks like as well!

Fair enough, no offence taken. We all have different needs and preferences for what a synth should look like - that's why it would be good to have a bunch to choose from.
Old 18th July 2018
Gear Addict

'Colours' and 'After Hours' get my vote (with special mention for 'Podular' which reminds me of the A6) as they seem to make panel navigation easier. The others are all good-looking, but only improve on the original in an aesthetic sense. These need to see the light of day.
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Another version of Podular, with some more variation to the shapes to the effects and S&H modules, and a toned-down swirly connections between nodes in the envelope section:

'Podular 1c'
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subverter View Post
'Colours' and 'After Hours' get my vote (with special mention for 'Podular' which reminds me of the A6) as they seem to make panel navigation easier. The others are all good-looking, but only improve on the original in an aesthetic sense. These need to see the light of day.
Cheers!

'After hours' has proven to be a favourite so far. 'Colours' has been somewhat divisive though...

And yes: Podular does look a bit like the A6! It was not intentional; I only wanted to make it more organic.
Old 18th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinakroon View Post
Another version of Podular, with some more variation to the shapes to the effects and S&H modules, and a toned-down swirly connections between nodes in the envelope section:

'Podular 1c'
Some really nice designs

Podular is really nice
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search