The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Modal Electronics "SKULPT"
Old 29th September 2019
  #241
Gear Maniac
 

Anybody experience with the polychain option of the Skulpt? Since you have tell it how many slave Skulpts you connect I expect it to work better than on the Roland Buitiques.
Old 29th September 2019
  #242
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mralbert View Post
Anybody experience with the polychain option of the Skulpt? Since you have tell it how many slave Skulpts you connect I expect it to work better than on the Roland Buitiques.
I'm thinking there isn't much point anymore.. for the price of two skulpts, you can almost get the new argon8, which is even better!
Old 29th September 2019
  #243
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
I'm thinking there isn't much point anymore.. for the price of two skulpts, you can almost get the new argon8, which is even better!
That's what I was thinking. Also, Argon8 has true stereo output, as you can spread the voices.
Old 29th September 2019
  #244
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mralbert View Post
That's what I was thinking. Also, Argon8 has true stereo output, as you can spread the voices.
yeah and all the other goodies from craft 2.0!
Old 30th September 2019
  #245
Gear Addict
 
bftucker's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
yeah and all the other goodies from craft 2.0!
And "Road ready Steel and Aluminium chassis" and "FATAR TP9/S Full size 37 key keybed with both velocity and aftertouch."

Old 1st October 2019
  #246
Gear Head
I've pre-ordered the Argon8. 37 full-size keys C-C is what I've wanted for at long time, but the options very few. I've been thinking of the Behringer DeepMind 6, but the Argon seems more appealing to me.

Concerning my problems with hanging MIDI notes on SKULPT - i looks like they've finally concluded that it's a software problem, and thy'll try to fix it with a new release at some point.
Old 11th February 2020
  #247
Here for the gear
Fresh owner. OS version 1.7.

Sounds nice, maybe a bit thin for my tastes.
I don't really buy the "8 oscillators per voice", either: I'm sure it's technically right, but does not "sound" as an 8 osc per voice, more like 2 (and even a bit thin at that).
Powerful envelops and mods! It really shines here!
Controls are... interesting but I'm starting to get a grip.
Old 11th February 2020
  #248
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFer View Post
Fresh owner. OS version 1.7.

Sounds nice, maybe a bit thin for my tastes.
I don't really buy the "8 oscillators per voice", either: I'm sure it's technically right, but does not "sound" as an 8 osc per voice, more like 2 (and even a bit thin at that).
Powerful envelops and mods! It really shines here!
Controls are... interesting but I'm starting to get a grip.
I suggest you study the presets. I'm thinking you have probably missed some of those factory bass patches IMO the lowend is pretty tight on this one
Old 11th February 2020
  #249
Here for the gear
I went through all the presets at least four times.
I stand by my impressions.
Old 11th February 2020
  #250
Gear Head
To those who posted the last three posts: which product are you talking about, SKULPT or Argon8? I cancelled by pre-order on Argon8 because of change of prioritations, but I might still buy one at some point, so I'm interested in opinions from those who have buyed one already...
Old 12th February 2020
  #251
Here for the gear
Skulpt
Old 12th February 2020
  #252
Gear Nut
 

I think the Skulpt has terrific sounds.
As t polychaining... it's brilliant. I have acquired 4, and with wide spreads you get 16 voice poly and 128 voices ... HUGE!
Nice to program in the app, nice to knob twiddle to explore. Keyboard fine for demoing as sound, hooked up to a Keystep and a Linnstrument... better. MPE coming in a firmware update too.
I have an Argon8 too ... a long way from properly explored, and it's nice ... but not "better" than my Skulpt rack.
Old 12th February 2020
  #253
Gear Maniac
I agree, the sculpt is an unknown gem. I was shocked after I purchased it and arrived. I had a bit of difficultly understanding the diagonal knob paths "however I liked that because it was unique" I found out a lot more later that most of these translated to the same knobs on the argon8 after watching a review by looppop. It actually gave me some really good insight on how to pun:"skuplt" the sounds further. I have been super-happy with the skulpt so far and with the fm presence it has just enough of a different frequency centralization to stand out from my other synths.
Old 12th February 2020
  #254
Gear Head
I share the opinions above on the Skulpt. To put it shortly: the user interface is terrible, the actual sound synthesis software inside it is brilliant.

However, I have one huge problem with the Skulpt. When I use it for playing four-note chords and use the sustain pedal of my keyboard to sustain one chord while I move my hand in position for the next, I very often experience a hanging note. This actually happens so often that I currently have given up using it as a polysynth.

I have had a dialog with Modal about this problem for several months, and all they can say is that they are working on a fix, and that I'll have to wait for a software update. I wonder if I am the only person who experience this problem...
Old 20th February 2020
  #255
Lives for gear
 
apartment dog's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by finngl View Post
I share the opinions above on the Skulpt. To put it shortly: the user interface is terrible, the actual sound synthesis software inside it is brilliant.

However, I have one huge problem with the Skulpt. When I use it for playing four-note chords and use the sustain pedal of my keyboard to sustain one chord while I move my hand in position for the next, I very often experience a hanging note. This actually happens so often that I currently have given up using it as a polysynth.

I have had a dialog with Modal about this problem for several months, and all they can say is that they are working on a fix, and that I'll have to wait for a software update. I wonder if I am the only person who experience this problem...
Too bad to hear this. Interested in this one (and the Argon8M) so I hope this will be sorted. Thanks for the info.
Old 21st February 2020
  #256
Gear Nut
 

Interfaces are very subjective - I find Skulpt very easy and sensible - but agree that the sounds are great - especially if you polychain them.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #257
Here for the gear
Anybody tried out editing the Skulpt with the Modal app on IOS? Just got mine, and tried to hook it up to my iPad with camera connection kit but no joy - looks like the power requirements of the Skulpt are too high...

I did connect the camera connection kit to a 2 Amp charger (not an original, lost that a long time ago), and the iPad was only 10% charged, so I'm hoping that when the iPad (nearly) full, the Skulpt will want to play...

While I wait I thought I'd ask if anyone here recognizes this behavior.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #258
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulusdebkb View Post
Anybody tried out editing the Skulpt with the Modal app on IOS? Just got mine, and tried to hook it up to my iPad with camera connection kit but no joy - looks like the power requirements of the Skulpt are too high...

I did connect the camera connection kit to a 2 Amp charger (not an original, lost that a long time ago), and the iPad was only 10% charged, so I'm hoping that when the iPad (nearly) full, the Skulpt will want to play...

While I wait I thought I'd ask if anyone here recognizes this behavior.
Yeah I get this using ios devices. The Skulpt and Craftsynth both draw too much power. A win for Android because my Android phone powers them on just fine. I just use my Windows tablet to create and manage my patches, since you can store/recall your presets. The MacOS version works the same.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #259
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulusdebkb View Post
Anybody tried out editing the Skulpt with the Modal app on IOS? Just got mine, and tried to hook it up to my iPad with camera connection kit but no joy - looks like the power requirements of the Skulpt are too high...

I did connect the camera connection kit to a 2 Amp charger (not an original, lost that a long time ago), and the iPad was only 10% charged, so I'm hoping that when the iPad (nearly) full, the Skulpt will want to play...

While I wait I thought I'd ask if anyone here recognizes this behavior.
I'm not familar with this - but is the "camera connection kit" required for IOS? - What version is your IPAD and OS on the IPAD?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #260
Here for the gear
Thanks Jreign for letting me know - I'll pick up a powered usb hub, or just run the thing on batteries.

The camera connection kit is a dongle with iPad (lightning) connector on one end, and a small enclosure with both a USB port and a lightning port, so you can charge the ipad while using a usb device. The iPad is an iPad Pro 10.5 inch, early 2018 model I believe with IOS 13.3.1.
Old 5 days ago
  #261
Ksp
Lives for gear
 
Ksp's Avatar
 

Has anyone compared the sound of the Argon 8 to Skulpt? , wondering if the argon 8 can nail the sound of Skulpt
Old 5 days ago
  #262
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksp View Post
Has anyone compared the sound of the Argon 8 to Skulpt? , wondering if the argon 8 can nail the sound of Skulpt
Pretty sure it can, although havent used the Argon8.
Old 4 days ago
  #263
Ksp
Lives for gear
 
Ksp's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
Pretty sure it can, although havent used the Argon8.
i imagine theres a lot of cross talk but maybe the Skulpt has a lower grade da and a more raw ( but super quality ) sound , bit like the dx100 vs dx7 .

In demos theres some difference in character which is more what i am interested in as i want the Argon 8m and its a wait for one so may have to get a Skulpt as well
Old 4 days ago
  #264
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksp View Post
i imagine theres a lot of cross talk but maybe the Skulpt has a lower grade da and a more raw ( but super quality ) sound , bit like the dx100 vs dx7 .

In demos theres some difference in character which is more what i am interested in as i want the Argon 8m and its a wait for one so may have to get a Skulpt as well
I'd think both would have same DAC chip but indeed perhaps SKULPT's analog output stage is a lesser spec than those of Argon8's.. would make sense.

I dont really hear much grunge in the output stage of the SKULPT.. sounds quite clean tbh. I doubt the diff would be as big as with DX7 vs DX100, DACs were alot crappier back then.
Old 4 days ago
  #265
Ksp
Lives for gear
 
Ksp's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
I'd think both would have same DAC chip but indeed perhaps SKULPT's analog output stage is a lesser spec than those of Argon8's.. would make sense.

I dont really hear much grunge in the output stage of the SKULPT.. sounds quite clean tbh. I doubt the diff would be as big as with DX7 vs DX100, DACs were alot crappier back then.
i have a feeling they are similiar / close but the argon 8 with the fx naturally a bit more spatial + all that lovely automation

I need to see if the Argon 8 has the spread functions of the Skulpt as i love the sound of that but my guess is they probably share a lot of the same code
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump