The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog One - old HUGE thread Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd July 2018
Lives for gear

Moog One - old HUGE thread

The previous thread seems to have gone off for understandable legal/off topic reasons, but I think this topic still deserves a running thread. Moog seem to have allowed details out, as well as pictures of PCB's, so clearly a major polysynth is in production, even if it doesn't end up following exactly what we've heard so far. Hopefully this can be a thread for more on-topic news about it.

Last edited by wendell r.; 4th July 2018 at 10:55 AM..
Old 3rd July 2018
Lives for gear

What details has Moog "allowed" and where?

Last edited by ToyBox; 4th July 2018 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: h
Old 3rd July 2018
Lives for gear

Well, they've denied none of the original specs that were supposedly post-NDA on the original thread. They also said nothing on the photos of the circuit board that were released to instagram , which were marked summer 2017 ; so you'd have to assume they're working on a polysynth, at whatever stage of development.
Old 3rd July 2018
Lives for gear

They’ve been working on a polysynth for years. Whether they wait years to finally release it is anyone’s guess.
Old 3rd July 2018
Lives for gear

yup - and as there's new details, there's nothing wrong with continuing the speculation.
Old 3rd July 2018
Lives for gear

I was told by a supplier they were working on something that would combine the tech of Animoog/theremini with analog filters and output. I really didn't expect to see VCO action at all. I was also told the price would be fairly low and competitive and the instrument would be a module for connecting MPE controllers to.
Old 3rd July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
I was told by a supplier they were working on something that would combine the tech of Animoog/theremini with analog filters and output. I really didn't expect to see VCO action at all. I was also told the price would be fairly low and competitive and the instrument would be a module for connecting MPE controllers to.
Now, THAT I buy sight unseen if/when it appears.
Old 3rd July 2018
Gear Addict

Since when "Not denying unconfirmed rumors from dubious sources" equals "Allowing details out"?

Unless I missed something, Moog has kept dead silent about the whole "One" affair...
Old 3rd July 2018
Lives for gear

Well, if you keep silent about clearly private company photos of circuit boards that suddenly appear on instagram out of the blue, stamped in very clear letters with "Moog" and the date, it's a fair bet that not only is there a new synth, but that you're not unconnected to the release of that information.

Last edited by wendell r.; 5th July 2018 at 07:33 AM..
Old 3rd July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
photos of circuit boards that suddenly appear on instagram out of the blue, stamped in very clear letters with "Moog" and the date
Those are very realistic 3d renders.
I wonder if Blender was used.

Old 3rd July 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah, you can make any pics you want and make them look fully believable these days.

I refuse to speculate further on this. Was a fun little adventure a few threads back, done. I doubt anything useful will be contributed to the discussion at this point.

Could happen at any time -- this year or a decade from now, or never. We don't know.

There's no hard evidence (failure to deny speculation isn't evidence of any sort ), so it's a fairy tale until proven otherwise.
Old 4th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Yeah, you can make any pics you want and make them look fully believable these days.
You can rest assured that the images of the PCB's which were posted are not 3d renders.
Old 4th July 2018
Lives for gear

Evidence?

Even if they aren't, it's easier than pie to make prototype boards even just for discussion purposes.
Old 4th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Evidence?
There is no evidence in the images to suggest the contrary.

Quote:
Even if they aren't, it's easier than pie to make prototype boards even just for discussion purposes.
Easier than pie? I'd wager that someone who is very proficient, and very well paid, at what they do designed those boards. Which then begs the question, why go through the trouble and expense of designing and then manufacturing them?
Old 4th July 2018
Gear Addict

Prototypes get built all the time. Leaks happen all the time. Those circuit boards were most probably real.

Does any of this mean the Moog One will be announced any time soon, or ever?
No.

We only know that Moog produced some prototype boards. So what? Many companies produce fully functional prototypes and unveil them at trade shows, and then they never get produced and sold.

The Moog One may be released tomorrow, or next year, or never. It may, quite simply, not exist except on gearslutz.
Until I see an official announcement from Moog, I'm not holding my breath.
Old 4th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
There is no evidence in the images to suggest otherwise
How very postmodern of you!

I am space alien, hear me buzz.
Old 4th July 2018
Lives for gear

Come on people! The boards are as real as they get.

What's happening here? Any number of other threads with board images or renders are fine, while the one and only thread for the next polyphonic Moog the world has waited for is summarily shut down (a minor clean up could've been done instead, like with other threads). And now it's being suggested that there's nothing to discuss. Is it a cruel joke? Am I having a nightmare? Have we all gone mad? Very strange...

Oh well, let's continue here - I'll repost what's known since the original thread is sinking:

Panel boards, not renders, consistent with the leaked specs (click for full size):

• 8 and 16 voice versions
• 3 VCOs per voice
• 3 part multitimbral - 3 synths in 1
• Knob per function
• 4 LFOs per synth with easily assignable modulation
• Arp and sequencer (per synth)
• Clock sync
• Assignable CV ins and outs
• Lots of i/o for routing synths and effects
• Eventide reverbs built in
• Unrestricted number of presets

Oscillators
create complex waveforms

Noise
• Dedicated envelope for transient shaping

Filter
• Stave variable filter AND Moog Ladder Filter
• HP, LP, BP or notch
• link filters together for ganged sweeps
• assign sources to SVF ladder or both in the mixer

Envelope
• 3 envelopes (amp, filter, and assignable)
• easily assignable mod matrix

Sequencer and Arp

Effects
• True bypass effects
• effects per synth and a master effects bus
• 2 assignable macro controls - customizable per patch
• Vocoder

Modulation
• Easily repeatable mod mattrix routings
• 4 LFOs - 1 button destination routing
• Fine tune and ccreate complex modulation via transforms
• Easy assign performance controllers
• XY pad for expressive control
Old 4th July 2018
Lives for gear

This is going to blow the Quantum and Modal 002 out of the water... in price.
Old 4th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
How very postmodern of you!

I am space alien, hear me buzz.
Do you purport to have any evidence to prove otherwise? In the original close up images of the circuit boards, do you see any obvious clues which would tip one off to the images indeed being 3d renders?

I'm not about to waste hours of my life writing an essay describing all of the ways that the original photographs are NOT fakes, as you claimed them to be. The burden of proof is on you.
Old 4th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
Do you purport to have any evidence to prove otherwise? In the original close up images of the circuit boards, do you see any obvious clues which would tip one off to the images indeed being 3d renders?

I'm not about to waste hours of my life writing an essay describing all of the ways that the original photographs are NOT fakes, as you claimed them to be. The burden of proof is on you.
No, we need proof positive, not negative.

Claims of various things existing cannot be true until proven so. This is the province of all philosophy and science up until this moment; if we are to choose otherwise, we choose all that is not real in our world.
Old 4th July 2018
Gear Nut
I bought an OB-6 yesterday. Best I can tell is Moog has the white flag out claiming weakness in a global chess match. Nothing overcomes weakness than the boys buying 40-50 $8000 synths. It replenishes the coffee requirements.
Old 4th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Claims of various things existing cannot be true until proven so. .
Funny how that works. The original images of the PCB's themselves are proof positive that they exist. You are the one who claims that they are 3d renders, without offering any evidence to support your claim, putting the burden of proof on yourself, and then demanding that others prove that they're not fake for you, effectively asking us to prove a negative.

Incidentally, it is possible to prove a negative:

Quote:
A negative claim is a colloquialism for an affirmative claim that asserts the non-existence or exclusion of something.[9] Claiming that it is impossible to prove a negative is a pseudologic, because there are many proofs that substantiate negative claims in mathematics, science, and economics, including Arrow's impossibility theorem. There can be multiple claims within a debate. Nevertheless, whoever makes a claim carries the burden of proof regardless of positive or negative content in the claim.
Evidence of absence - Wikipedia

In this particular case, as I stated above, there are no obvious clues which would indicate that the photos in question are 3d renders. Trust me, if they were there I would be the first one to call them out.
Old 4th July 2018
Lives for gear

I've got a great idea, let's start a new thread about the same subject and proceed to do all the things that got the original thread canned.

For all we know Moog may have asked for the thread to be axed because it's material still subject to an NDA.
Old 4th July 2018
Lives for gear

Assuming the PCB’s and specs are correct. I remain very curious of what the screen is all about, what keybed and how many octaves. The potential here could be one of my dream synths. I’m willing to pay $8000 for that.
Old 4th July 2018
Gear Guru

I'd imagine they would go for a full SMT 'Sub37 styled' poly if they do, it makes sense to cut down the costs on the tooling as most is already half done.
Old 4th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
For all we know Moog may have asked for the thread to be axed because it's material still subject to an NDA.
Most of us are not part of any NDA with Moog.

I can talk and speculate about anything as much as i want to. Moog is not allowed to hinder that.

There is also no GS rule against it.
Old 4th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
You do realize that an NDA is something you sign and agree to individually right? It doesn't mean nobody is allowed to talk about it, only the people who signed the agreement. If you or I knew something then there'd be nothing legally keeping us from talking about it anywhere for any reason.

NDA doesn't mean anything to anybody who hasn't signed a piece of paper. Do you remember signing something? Because I sure don't.
Old 4th July 2018
Lives for gear

Dudes...
At least in Europe, this emote means "i am not 100% serious", or "i am kidding".
Old 4th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:

Claims of various things existing cannot be true until proven so. This is the province of all philosophy and science up until this moment; if we are to choose otherwise, we choose all that is not real in our world.

Hi realtrance I think that´s wrong (evidence?

In science it is not possible to prove that results, of studies or experiments, are true. They can be always wrong because of many reasons (to many influences, mistakes, intentions). So in science the leading opinions are always beliefes. They rule until they are proved wrong and then the next believe will be the leading opinion. This principle is called "falsification". Many people, even scientist, are not aware of this fact.
Old 4th July 2018
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinkle View Post
Assuming the PCB’s and specs are correct. I remain very curious of what the screen is all about, what keybed and how many octaves. The potential here could be one of my dream synths. I’m willing to pay $8000 for that.
Maybe is a screen like on voyager, to control things, also I think it might let you draw the osc like is a new trend now like the erica synths new osc.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search