The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog One Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Nice synth. Sounds good. Just like every other poly analog synth. They all sound good. It's electricity being shaped into waves, there's only so much you can do.

Also shocked that there's not more discussion about how "wet" what we're hearing is.

Would love to have one. Would love to see musicians perform with one. But is it the end-all-be-all of synthesis? Of course not. It's another analog poly, this time with moog texture.

Good for them. Good for whoever owns one. It's not going to make my music better, and I bet it wouldn't make your music better, either.

I would advise against spending $8,000 or $6,000 in hopes that it's going to make your productions better. If you can't do it with what you already have, this isn't for you.

Then again, this is gearslutz, and I know half of you are going to dip into your debt to have this thing collect dust in your bedroom.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
Fair play, the last stream

That said, I'm still not feeling it for £6k, but that's my issue not yours, ...
How would it HAVE to sound for 6k in your opinion? like a Jupiter 8 oder an OBX or a Chroma? Would that be enough?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
I was actually born in Glendora, on Easter Sunday 1969.
'69 here, too, in Longbeach.

Bunch of geezers here on GS.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugo View Post
Nice synth. Sounds good. Just like every other poly analog synth. They all sound good. It's electricity being shaped into waves, there's only so much you can do.

Also shocked that there's not more discussion about how "wet" what we're hearing is.

Would love to have one. Would love to see musicians perform with one. But is it the end-all-be-all of synthesis? Of course not. It's another analog poly, this time with moog texture.

Good for them. Good for whoever owns one. It's not going to make my music better, and I bet it wouldn't make your music better, either.

I would advise against spending $8,000 or $6,000 in hopes that it's going to make your productions better. If you can't do it with what you already have, this isn't for you.

Then again, this is gearslutz, and I know half of you are going to dip into your debt to have this thing collect dust in your bedroom.
Yeah, that's what's so cool and and futuristic about digital synths! Because they're ELECTRONS being shaped into waves. BITS being shaped into waves.

Far more advanced than electricity, which Ben Franklin discovered!

Electricity is just so oldskool cool.

Old 3 days ago
LMAO at the intro to the Pt 4 video "So what? You're driving now."

Obviously not a presenter. Great sounds and observations, though.

Pete
Old 3 days ago
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
I haven't had a chance to watch / hear all the demos / videos yet, but for what I hear so far, it sounds like a Memorymoog and it takes to the next millennium level with the new modulation capabilities, lfos, envelopes, oled displays, Eventide fx etc..... what's not to like? (other than the price, which is expected for a high-end synth like this...)
Soooo.... are you getting one?

Let me know if you decide to get rid of that PPG. It is a synth with terrible harmonica patch. And i'd be glad to take it away from you to test a couple of new harmonica patches that i found on several different internets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
No new demos today :(
There's a word on a street that Kanye is demoing it.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Congrats! First, never sell your guitars. I have both a P6/OB-6 and prefer the OB-6. I returned my Rev2 twice, and a PX once, so there's that. Substituted the PX' 8DIO string samples with some excellent solo cello NKI libraries (Chris Hein/Tina Guo), and couldn't be happier with both (I have a full-orchestra EXs library on my Kronos). Lastly, I would easily give up my Montage 7 to help fund a Moog One (then again, I have a ton of other ROMplers, plus an FS1R). So, to reiterate:

Go:

Montage 6
Prophet 6
Rev2
Prophet X

I would dump the Moog stuff and keep ALL the DSI stuff.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
[Slightly off-topic] From the I can't afford/not willing to spend $8,000 club:

Thanks to drockfresh, Vertflyer, and especially, Pete Brown (a.k.a. Psychlist1972, who created the YouTube polychain demos), I am on a mission . . . I'm now three-quarters of the way to owning a Moog FVSM (four-voice Slim Phatty set-up). Only one more to go!
Thanks

I went on ebay and reverb the other day to see if I could pick up a couple more. THe prices of those have gone way up.

Except for the first one I bought new, I didn't pay more than $500 for any of the other Slim Phatty modules.

Pete
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Please, no.

Pete
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Let me know if you decide to get rid of that PPG. It is a synth with terrible harmonica patch. And i'd be glad to take it away from you to test a couple of new harmonica patches that i found on several different internets!

I call dibs on the PPG!
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Not a jerk at all! It's a natural assumption to make, no worries.

I understand the concept of how PolyAT can open up expression, yes; it's just one of those things that physically doesn't appeal to me. It gives a synthesizer the kind of sound you can get from leaning in on an organ, say, or yes, guitarists probably come predisposed to wanting it because of their assumptions based on guitar technique.

For me, especially as I'm older, avoiding physical damage while playing is tantamount, that's all.

You PolyAT obsessives, have at it and best of luck!
You don't have to be a virtuoso to use PolyAT or be PolyAT obsessive, though I agree with your point - take care of your hands. You also don't have to develop carpal tunnel or cause physical damage. Poly AT is fantastic, even for mediocre, really old, players like myself. One hand holding a note while the other hand plays a soft quiet set of notes building into a chord in the other. It could be as simple as holding a forceful sounding octave while playing a simple melody of varying intensity with the other hand. When I try this on some keyboards with mono aftertouch, all I get is on/off switches in one hand that match the louder note. Very annoying. Sorry if I've oversimplified but some keyboards are terrible for this. PolyAT used to be more prevalent 20 years ago. I think Roland, Kurzweil, Studio Logic, Fatar?, Vax, Yamaha and others had a PolyAT controller or synth at one point. Most of them at least. It's not like they have to commit tons of money to R&D, they already did it. It may be more expensive but the Roland A-80 could be bought new in a store for $1595 - an 88 note controller with PolyAT and many, many more features. The Kurzweil Midiboard was an amazing controller that went for $2495 and had tons of other features as well as great PolyAT. It was 88 notes as well. So, when I hear quotes of $4000 to implement just the PolyAT feature on a 61 note keybed, I don't understand. For me, I want the Moog One to be everything it could be and PolyAT would help. Next rant is ribbon controller.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukvoyager View Post
OK I give up!

I've placed a pre-order with Andertons in the UK for a 16 voice. I'm first on the list, lucky for me as their first batch is for 1x16 and 4x8, so sold out of 16 voice so to speak.

Delivery expected mid / late November.

Now a big decision, do I sell to fund / find some space for this monster:

To go or not to go:
Montage 6
Prophet 6
OB 6
Prophet Rev 2
Prophet X
Moog Voyager OS (bought instead of an 'old' Model D then came the reissue)
Moog Model D reissue
Moog MF 104
David Gilmour Black Strat NOS
David Gimour Black Strat Relic (how on earth did I end up with these two)
Roger Water signture Bass

Offers accepted....
Don’t sell the mf-104. You will regret it
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

I’m just curious how many of these great pad sounds are single patches, not stacked....
I’m trying to decide if 8 voices will be enough for me.
If just playing singles and splits , would you really need 16?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

I wonder which version is a better buy in the long run in terms of resale value. The 16 voice will probably be rarer, but might also be harder to sell.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

someone said the 16 voice was sold out at Sweetwater

but that could just be a rumour
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamatsni View Post
I wonder which version is a better buy in the long run in terms of resale value. The 16 voice will probably be rarer, but might also be harder to sell.
The 8 voice will be the rare one
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm not surprised at the thought that Sweetwater has all its present pre-order inventory locked in; but that just means, I would speculate, that anyone pre-ordering from here on out will have to wait for future shipments, at whatever rate Moog can handle the demand.

At some point Sweetwater is not exclusive, and then they have to compete with other sellers online and off. I don't know whether it's after this first run, or later.

But in any event, I would guess that the Moog One is going to be in high demand for awhile, despite the steep price.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomjab View Post
The 8 voice will be the rare one
Yes our economic system now is mostly 2-tiered: on here at least, it seems like either one can afford the 16 voice or neither. Not so many in the middle, for the 8 voice. Mainly people who think they don't NEED 16 voices.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

You're right, the PPG is no bueno for harmonica patches. For that you need a Roland Gaia. However, the PPG is greawt at Tuba patches, which is what I use it mainly for, so - sorry - not selling - I haven't found better tuba sounds anywhere

Not sure yet if I want to invest 8K on the One right now , especially having the Memorymoog already - but it's certainly very tempting. That said, first in line order there is P-5 rev 2... which now have reached almost that much anyway

Quote:
Yes - I've heard his next album title is "Moog Ones & Heartache"
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

I guess I’m just thinking a year or so down the road. And 8 voice used should be attainable for a guy who just likes to play for fun. Maybe $4800 used
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Well, like I said earlier, PolyAT is two things...

I'm curious, did you ever take piano lessons as a kid? If so, did you ever play Bach? If so, did you ever advance to playing more than one melodic line in a hand, like say in the Three Part Inventions or 3-4 voice fugues from the Well-tempered Clavier?

Not to be presumptuous (or a jerk) but I suspect you haven't played much Bach, because if you had, you would totally understand why polyphonic aftertouch would be a godsend on a synthesizer--especially on a synth like the Moog One which is 3-in-1!

This isn't to say, of course, that one must play this sort of music in order to appreciate it. Not at all. In fact, I'd guess most musicians here haven't played much contrapuntal music, but still want PolyAT because they can at least conceptualize its possibilities and this is the most important part.

It's not about virtuosity, but about control and expression. Our hands (and brains) are remarkably capable. We might not always think they are, but, really, it's not as difficult to play (and think!) polyphonically as it might seem--especially when virtuosity is not the goal.
Clarke, you’re awesome.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
But in any event, I would guess that the Moog One is going to be in high demand for awhile, despite the steep price.
Oh God here come the eBay speculators. I wonder what the “buy it now” price will be.

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I’m vascilating between 8 and 16 too.

I’m shooting for a “rest of my life” rig with a MoogOne and Prophet X. 16 voices seems like it might be overkill with 5 total parts available (between those 2) and how huge some of these single VCO demos are sounding.

But a little voice keeps saying “if you’re going to be stupid and reckless, then be stupid and reckless and go for the big one.”
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Just been listening to a few OB6 demos in an attempt to talk myself down from the overwhelming desire to own one of these and to be honest just assessing youtube clip vs. youtube clip I personally much prefer the One for pure "tone". Don't want to get into a big A versus B "who's got the biggest VCOs" battle here because obviously it's all subjective and surely anyone can hear that the OB6 is clearly a great sounding synth, probably imho the best modern analogue poly on the market until this week, leaving aside the more esoteric boutique options.

But much more than that, the biggest takeaway watching the SonicState and MusicTrackJP demos was now that I know the One is out there and can do everything it can do, probably most of the other options are gonna feel like I'm settling for an unacceptable compromise, especially for someone who's a primarily a programmer / sequencer rather than a player. The one LFO and the fixed routings that had seemed more than adequate and were pretty much at the top of my want list on Sunday now look to me like the stone age - and again that's no disrespect to the OB6, I fully appreciate that what it sets out to do is a very different thing, and it knocks it out of the park on its own terms. For the sake of my bank balance I wish it were otherwise, though.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Sometimes the way threads go on Gearslutz I just scratch my head and wonder.
I've only watched the Moog One launch video....the one with the super famous, icons of music playing the thing. Susan Cianni, Robert Glasper, Chick Corea etc...
Lot's of bread and butter sounds, basic pads too. Some simple playing, some very musical virtuoso playing.
I am 100% sure a lot of busy working professionals are going to buy a Moog One.
personally, it doesn't really do anything for me, but I just had to reply to some of the crazy stuff being posted.
In some previous thread this came up about the Voyager, and I felt obliged to post about a million pictures of top tier performers with the Voyager on stage . It's like some people want to convince themselves that musicians are so casual about things they don't buy musical instruments.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
But a little voice keeps saying “if you’re going to be stupid and reckless, then be stupid and reckless and go for the big one.”
And that is exactly why the poll had 16 voice leading 8 voice 5 to 1! Without a guaranteed upgrade path you go for broke!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I make it a point to avoid anything that jackass does. *uck that guy. Talk about a stupid dip*hit.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
Fair play, the last stream

At 1:09:31 there's the classic Moog sound dna from the '60s modulars, there.

Pretty darn awesome

cue Bing Crosby song "Temptation"

*Edit: Moog cut the first (dead, waiting) part of the video, so now the sound that I was referring to is at 43:00

Last edited by Mr. Varaldo; 2 days ago at 02:40 AM.. Reason: Moog edited their video
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomjab View Post
I also want polyAT. I volunteer you analogsynth to contact Fatar to get a quote for a polyAT keybed that could be drop in replacement for One. We can then start lobbying Moog for the firmware updates to support it as well as cost to retrofit our Ones. Please report back with your findings
Not PolyAT but a fun take on a keybed

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel99 View Post
Clarke, you’re awesome.
Ide only care about aftertouch if it was poly....mono just seems counter intuitive, unless in a monosynth.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search