The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PULSAR-23 Organismic Drum Machine Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 21st June 2018
Lives for gear
ænalogue
Old 21st June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
are you guys easily amused, really naive, or just simply need someone else to package all this up in a little box and show you how to do it? are you listening to what's going on, or just mesmerized by all the knobs, switches, and cables? is it the contact points? i know... they're very exciting. that must be it.

"Maybe moments like this are one of the most important things for me in the creative process, both in music and engineering. When things go out of control and something unexpected breaks through in the process and myself."

typical silly "artist" hipster bull****.
Since when is an instrument only about the sound it produces? How you interact with something, if it invites you to play it, if it triggers creativity, and makes you think outside the box is much more important.

And the "typical silly "artist" hipster bull****" comment was never new and edgy. It was always something said by bitter people
Old 21st June 2018
Lives for gear
It sounds so promising and fun!

I just hope it can be sequenced/controlled externally as well, for the sake of reproducibility when needed. If possible, individual outs would be lovely and useful as hell.

I'm an ITB guy, I could certainly get close to the vids above with what I already have, but I can't even start to imagine how much effort / time it would require to get a few bars going, and how long it'd take to morph sounds as smoothly from one setting to another etc... I'm not a MaxMSP ninja myself, yet from the vids it (once again) sounds like instant Autechre.

I'm seriously considering getting one.
Old 21st June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
It sounds so promising and fun!

I just hope it can be sequenced/controlled externally as well, for the sake of reproducibility when needed. If possible, individual outs would be lovely and useful as hell.

I'm an ITB guy, I could certainly get close to the vids above with what I already have, but I can't even start to imagine how much effort / time it would require to get a few bars going, and how long it'd take to morph sounds as smoothly from one setting to another etc... I'm not a MaxMSP ninja myself, yet from the vids it (once again) sounds like instant Autechre.

I'm seriously considering getting one.
It has MIDI, I’m betting it will allow midi sync so then you could feed it with a keyboard, sequencer or a gameboy.
Old 21st June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
are you guys easily amused, really naive, or just simply need someone else to package all this up in a little box and show you how to do it? are you listening to what's going on, or just mesmerized by all the knobs, switches, and cables? is it the contact points? i know... they're very exciting. that must be it.

"Maybe moments like this are one of the most important things for me in the creative process, both in music and engineering. When things go out of control and something unexpected breaks through in the process and myself."

typical silly "artist" hipster bull****.

Old 21st June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
It has MIDI, I’m betting it will allow midi sync so then you could feed it with a keyboard, sequencer or a gameboy.
Each of the four voices can be sequenced individually via CV. And yes, there is midi as well, one of the few digital parts in it
Old 21st June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by battyroy View Post
Old 21st June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by battyroy View Post
notice who it is that's closing the door.

pretty good job with that, fits the situation nicely.
Old 21st June 2018
Lives for gear

Who is it?
Old 21st June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Who is it?
he's an idiot, that never realizes the joke is on him.

(Michael Scott, from 'The Office'.)
Old 21st June 2018
Gear Addict

Oh the irony

You kinda spelled it out for the rest of us.
Old 22nd June 2018
Lives for gear

I have a curious (unfamiliar to me) reaction to this. It feels like too much, which is odd for me. I'm a fan of the complex. I like lotsa options. But this thing has me scratching my head. The first video, is ok. The second on has me (and the guy in the video) a bit dumbfounded and stupified. There is a sound in that video (that I love) at exactly 4:16, three notes. The sounds leading up to it don't really hint that that sort of sound will be made and the sounds after it have no similarity. He's only turning one knob and touching a couple of them touchy things. Where did it come from? Where did it go? Where did it come from Synthesizer Joe?

I'm foncused and uncomfortable about it.
Old 22nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gr4m View Post
The second on has me (and the guy in the video) a bit dumbfounded and stupified. There is a sound in that video at exactly 4:16, three notes. The sounds leading up to it don't really hint that that sort of sound will be made and the sounds after it have no similarity. He's only turning one knob and touching a couple of them touchy things. Where did it come from? Where did it go? Where did it come from Synthesizer Joe?

.....just summed up my thoughts of modular synthesis

edit-or at least most people likely experience with it
Old 22nd June 2018
Quote:
We all know The Office UK is the real The Office.
Old 22nd June 2018
Lives for gear

A few days ago I had never heard of this guy, his art, his company, and this drum synth or the Lyra-8. Today, after watching all if the videos and reading the website and all that, I'm certain I want both gadgets. I dig the sounds, the interfaces, and the very idea.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're any better than countless other instruments we have to choose from these days, but these particular two (Pulsar-23 and Lyra-8) speak to me and my goals and tastes. What a trip, the randomness of things. It's almost like this gear was made especially for me, without me knowing or asking.

Weird.

Whatever.

Damn it's a good time to be alive and into music and music gear. In almost every way, almost all of the gear I've ever wanted or imagined or dreamt of owning is readily available or almost that way, and less expensive (or more for your money) everyday, from mass produced $100 widgets to boutique things like this guy's gear to the DSIs and Moogs and Rolands of the world. So many choices.

Damn you GS/Thank you GS.

I'm ordering a Lyra-8 kit and watching this drum machine closely. It's a cool idea, a grungy analog drum synth, with four independently clockable loopers instead of a step sequencer, with effects, CV patch points, MIDI, and the circuit-bending alligator-ciippy action, it's like a crazy DIY project that someone else idiot proofed for everyone else, and the mass of wires is crazy but what it does and sounds like is interesting enough, and would be pricey to do in Eurorack.

Sign me up.
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

Any new information on this?
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
Any new information on this?
I'm on the list but haven't heard anything new.
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
I'm on the list but haven't heard anything new.
Thanks. Hopefully its out by Xmas time this year.
Old 11th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
Thanks. Hopefully its out by Xmas time this year.
My email exchange with them seemed to indicate that's what they're shooting for.

I quite like the thing itself, but I can't wait to try it out in context with other modular gear and a sampler such as the BitBox or Assimil8or.
Old 13th August 2018
Here for the gear

Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
he's an idiot, that never realizes the joke is on him.

You know it's ok for you to not be interested in things that other people are interested in?

Do you understand that if someone gets this and makes some good music with it, then everything you've said in here turns out to be moot?

It doesn't strike you as a little weird that you're even in this thread?
Old 15th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
You know it's ok for you to not be interested in things that other people are interested in?

Do you understand that if someone gets this and makes some good music with it, then everything you've said in here turns out to be moot?

It doesn't strike you as a little weird that you're even in this thread?
my advice: feel free to make use of the ignore user function
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Definitely an unorthodox drum machine -- it shares a lot of the same vibe I get from both the (previously mentioned) Metasonix D-1000, and also the Moog DFAM.

It's like someone took a Leploop Multicassa and turned it inside out, in a good way.

It's tremendously cool beans.
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlegs View Post
prove it. (without sampling these demos of course.)
Actually, considering Maschine can host any VST, it would not be hard at all to build something cool in Reaktor blocks and run it through Molekular and you’d be there.

While I’m on board with jbuonacc’s preferred way of doing things like this (dealing with that mess of wires is exactly the thing I hate), he totally misses the point that for some people this is an amazing instrument precisely because it mesmerizes with the knobs, wires and blinky lights. Having a different way of working is often enough... more than enough. The mode of working is the instrument. Having it be kind of awkward and weird is a bonus. I totally get that. It used to be me, though substitute guitar pedals and stuff for modular drum machines.

I think it’s easy for me to leave all that behind because i was so deep into it for so long, but I get how that can be a really fun way to work. If forced me to think about things in different ways, but having learned that way of working, I don’t really need the clutter to get in that kind of creative space. I love that this thing exists even though I know it’s not for me.
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
I have a curious (unfamiliar to me) reaction to this. It feels like too much, which is odd for me. I'm a fan of the complex. I like lotsa options. But this thing has me scratching my head. The first video, is ok. The second on has me (and the guy in the video) a bit dumbfounded and stupified. There is a sound in that video (that I love) at exactly 4:16, three notes. The sounds leading up to it don't really hint that that sort of sound will be made and the sounds after it have no similarity. He's only turning one knob and touching a couple of them touchy things. Where did it come from? Where did it go? Where did it come from Synthesizer Joe?

I think that’s the point of something like this. You don’t sit down with a sound in your head and set out to make it, but more like wander around in a general direction, get lost and happen upon something magical. Like I said in another post, there are more convenient ways to make odd distressed drum sounds, if that’s your main goal.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I think that’s the point of something like this. You don’t sit down with a sound in your head and set out to make it, but more like wander around in a general direction, get lost and happen upon something magical. Like I said in another post, there are more convenient ways to make odd distressed drum sounds, if that’s your main goal.
Both of you have hit on basically the same point -- from different directions.

I had much the same feelings when I dipped my toes into West Coast style synthesis -- and that was with the 0-Coast! (which in reality is West Coast lite).

It's very easy as an adult for your brain to go into certain repetitive modes of thinking and completely lock out other avenues -- it's one of the reasons why it's harder for adults to learn new languages. At the same time this allows you as an adult to (pardon my French) get merde done without having to relearn it every single time. A seasoned synthesist in East Coast style can dial in a specific lead or pad quickly without thinking. It's a relatively small number of variables and the results are reasonably predictable.

When your entire experience with analog is subtractive VCO-Filter-Amp (with LFO's for modulation) then West Coast thinking and methodology will definitlely mess with your head. It will take some time to integrate any new information and insights with your existing knowledge, especially the parts you can't easily predict. There's an uncomfortable feeling when you hit on a really good sound but you feel like it's not your work, like you don't deserve it -- because you don't (yet) know how you did it.

It's easier to mock or deride something you don't completely understand rather than say "Wow, I wanna learn how to control THAT".

edit: I just rewatched the first video and there's a LOT of the same vibe I got when I first laid my hands on a DFAM. Lots of happy accidents and I felt like I was clueless as to what I was doing. I almost always try new synths sans manual for at least a week -- sometimes there's a little magic in not completely knowing what you're doing. Then you read that manual and it starts to makes sense. I find I learn new skills, approaches, and ways of thinking better in this way than just reading a manual or text book and try to cram it into my head.
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Both of you have hit on basically the same point -- from different directions.

I had much the same feelings when I dipped my toes into West Coast style synthesis -- and that was with the 0-Coast! (which in reality is West Coast lite).

It's very easy as an adult for your brain to go into certain repetitive modes of thinking and completely lock out other avenues -- it's one of the reasons why it's harder for adults to learn new languages. At the same time this allows you as an adult to (pardon my French) get merde done without having to relearn it every single time. A seasoned synthesist in East Coast style can dial in a specific lead or pad quickly without thinking. It's a relatively small number of variables and the results are reasonably predictable.

When your entire experience with analog is subtractive VCO-Filter-Amp (with LFO's for modulation) then West Coast thinking and methodology will definitlely mess with your head. It will take some time to integrate any new information and insights with your existing knowledge, especially the parts you can't easily predict. There's an uncomfortable feeling when you hit on a really good sound but you feel like it's not your work, like you don't deserve it -- because you don't (yet) know how you did it.

It's easier to mock or deride something you don't completely understand rather than say "Wow, I wanna learn how to control THAT".

edit: I just rewatched the first video and there's a LOT of the same vibe I got when I first laid my hands on a DFAM. Lots of happy accidents and I felt like I was clueless as to what I was doing. I almost always try new synths sans manual for at least a week -- sometimes there's a little magic in not completely knowing what you're doing. Then you read that manual and it starts to makes sense. I find I learn new skills, approaches, and ways of thinking better in this way than just reading a manual or text book and try to cram it into my head.
That’s a good point. Spend enough time with any synth and eventually it’ll become second nature. Still, I stand by my “medium is the message” position. An instrument’s interface and feature set are going to mold how you interact with it to some degree, and lead you down different paths.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search