The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The ‘SEM’ sound..? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3 weeks ago
tok
Gear Addict

But but don’t all oberheim sem pros get autographed by Tom oberheim
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
It’s not a remake. It’s the resurrection of the same old design by the original maker. A true recreation.
FWIW, I bought a patch panel version and compared it to a pair of OG SEMs here. I found it easier to make them sound completely different than to make them sound the same. I could dial in the same sound triggering them at a specific key, but as I sequenced them up and down the octaves the differences were fairly clear.

Main differences I noticed when they were sequenced were the envelope responses and the way the filter cutoff and resonance sounded.

Others may not notice/care. Just posting my particular observations with these SEMs.
Old 3 weeks ago
i have the old one and tested the new one. and agree with the above, old one is snappier. also their resonance level as function of cutoff point is different, which leads to a slightly different filter character:

when you turn the resonance to the max, and have cutoff at the max too, and then start turning the cutoff downwards you of course hear the pitch of the self oscillation going down. now, with both version, at a certain point nearing bass range, the resonance peak "dies out" i.e. gets attenuated. which is normal. however, on the original sem you get an extra octave and a half towards bottom. tests on vintagesynth confirm this too.

finally the top end harshness of the new ones:

New Oberheim SEM vs Original SEM
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just once!

Just once the new version of something should sound better.

It’s strange the universe doesn’t work that way.

Ever.
Old 3 weeks ago
tok
Gear Addict

Would you rather have a new SEM pro or a UB-xa if it matched an Ob-xa?

I’m gassy
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Just once!

Just once the new version of something should sound better.

It’s strange the universe doesn’t work that way.

Ever.
The new SEM is an excellent sounding monosynth. I actually thought about keeping it as another flavor, but ended deciding to get something completely different.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tok View Post
Would you rather have a new SEM pro or a UB-xa if it matched an Ob-xa?

I’m gassy
In short: If you want the maximum Oberheim sound get a SEM. If you need polyphony get a poly Oberheim.

Let reason win over marketing hype.

To this point the UB-xa only exists as data on the internet. The UN-xa, as the name suggestest, is based on the OB-XA, a CEM based synth. The SEM sounds quite different then all Oberheim polysynth. The closest is the OB-X, it's filters were directly derived from the SEM. Still one voice OB-X is far off to a SEM.
Obviously on a polysynth you want your sound to be fat, but somehow controlled in order not to have a big detuned, smeary mess.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
The new SEM is an excellent sounding monosynth. I actually thought about keeping it as another flavor, but ended deciding to get something completely different.
Please feel free to pass, on purchasing whatever new SEMs are out there on the open market. Really.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search