The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The ‘SEM’ sound..? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Could you please upload an example of that cutoff resonance nuance ?
Oh, absolutely! Just don't hold you breath! I'm notoriously lazy at posting clips here for some reason. Yeah, I just heard this "nuance" while playing with my new Slim Phatty a few days ago and thought, "Oh! THIS is why people like analog hardware." That was the moment I "got it." But everything on my desk is a mess right now—I have too many recently acquired rackmount synths (with no racks!!!), and only one mono cable! All my racks are back-ordered at Sweetwater.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I only have access to hardware analogs occasionally, so i am far from being the biggest expert in the world.
Could you please upload an example of that cutoff resonance nuance ?
Resonance has always been one of the places where analogue filters differ from digital.
That's what the whole zero delay feedback filter craze was supposed to address.

If you look back at old reviews of synth emulations you’ll find many comments about the biggest differences coming from filter response and resonance.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Oh, absolutely! Just don't hold you breath! I'm notoriously lazy at posting clips here for some reason. Yeah, I just heard this "nuance" while playing with my new Slim Phatty a few days ago and thought, "Oh! THIS is why people like analog hardware." That was the moment I "got it." But everything on my desk is a mess right now—I have too many recently acquired rackmount synths (with no racks!!!), and only one mono cable! All my racks are back-ordered at Sweetwater.
Still curious about this nuance and if i can replicate it in Xhip. (probably not)
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Slightly on topic...

My feeling regarding analog vs digital analog emulation is that the latter does a superb job most of the time.

Where it breaks down most audibly is when dealing with high resonance settings / filter saturation. The harmonics just sound more beautiful in the analog realm conpared with digital imposters.

When tweaking filters at low resonance, many analog emulations can sound very close / indistinguishable to true analog.

The same seems to hold true with regard to analog vs digital distortion.

The first thing I test when checking a VA or plug is the high resonance sound. If it sounds great, usually every other setting will sound great too.

Just my 2c
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Still curious about this nuance and if i can replicate it in Xhip. (probably not)
Dude, with your programming skills, I think you're doing just fine without "nuance." Seriously, though, I noticed some very interesting things comparing my VA synths with my new analog synths. A bit too late to go into it now (it's past 3:00AM here!), but I think drxcm's comments (and Acid Mitch's) pretty much nailed it. Hopefully I'll have some time later in the week to record some examples.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Heh.
This high resonance talk reminded me of that old thread where i was comparing 2 VSTis to a real Prophet 5.
U-He Repro-5
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search