The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Crazy idea: Maybe Behringer should clone the C64 SID chip under the CoolAudio brand. MIDI Processors
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Crazy idea: Maybe Behringer should clone the C64 SID chip under the CoolAudio brand.

This is kind of a crazy idea, but I know there's a pretty decent demand for SID chips, to the point where people sometimes buy C64's just to desolder them out.

There's tons of DIY and commercial products that use the SID chip, but you usually have to supply your own, which is getting increasingly difficult.

It might not really be a viable venture whatsoever, it's hard to really gauge the demand on this one. Could be a lot of overhead for a niche product. I'm not going to pretend I can comprehend the economics of it.

I'm just saying while Behringer is open to ideas, this might be an interesting one seeing as they've already got IC production going under the CoolAudio name. Maybe even a semi modular synth with a CoolAudio SID at the heart, like the Neutron. Hopefully with enough inputs for you to compose whole songs with CV/Gate sequencing of the chip. Use it to its true multitimbral potential.

The thing is, a lot of the stuff people REALLY like about the SID sound is down to how it was controlled by the system, digital control over the SID's parameters.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
... Hopefully with enough inputs for you to compose whole songs with CV/Gate sequencing of the chip. Use it to its true multitimbral potential.
multitimbral? it's a 3-osc synth on a chip.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
multitimbral? it's a 3-osc synth on a chip.
It has three separate envelopes and VCA's for the oscillators so they can act independently. Only one shared filter though. The three channels are intended to be sequenced independently for creating musical compositions. It's not supposed to be treated as a three oscillator single-voice.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

ahh, i see what you mean. still, a lot of the sound was heavily dependant on the software end of it (instrument tables, etc). can you achieve that flexibilty via cv control?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
ahh, i see what you mean. still, a lot of the sound was heavily dependant on the software end of it (instrument tables, etc). can you achieve that flexibilty via cv control?
Yeah there's a lot of the SID "sound" that's down to digital control. That's why most SID synths are run with a microcontroller. So it probably wouldn't be that interesting as just a SID chip alone. Would need some utilities.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

SwinSID - C64-Wiki

Here is a virtual analog SID clone.

As said a lot of sound character comes from intricate modulation tricks. You can't even load all SID files in a tracker.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
I sent Uli a message about this maybe a year ago lol.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search