The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonicstate - Roland System 500 Review Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Sonicstate - Roland System 500 Review

Quite a nice review of the new System 500 modules along with the older units.
Good demo from David Around at the end with this one too I might add.
The new units with a few EG's and an extra LFO or three would make for a nice modern take on a classic SH Mono synth IMHO.

Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

I have a nice 7 module System 100m. I actually bought my 150 from Josh at Malekko. I’ve always wanted the 172 Phaser/Delay, 132 voltage processor and 131 mixer. But they have been way out of my price range. The 172 goes for almost $2,000.

I’m definitely considering picking up the 500 series versions of these. But now Behringer has announced exact recreations for $100 each so I dunno.

These Roland modules actually add a lot of missing features. CV pan pots on the mixer for example.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

I saw that review and while the review itself is nice, I found it quite boring. Again the predictable subtractive sounds and a 4 to the floor beat.
I'm sure Nick on his own would have come up with some nice soundscapes.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah I thought the demo was no good. It’s the kind of thing bro’s in caps would stand around the DJ booth and nod.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

the demo was good in showcasing bread and butter vanilla sounds ,emphesis on the filter etc..
NOthing wrong with that .
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

If you think about it logically, put the four new modules with the previous set and you have a pretty monster Eurorack setup right there, quite capable in all the relevant ways.

3 oscillators, with pwm and sync.
5 filters, including SH-5
3 LFOs
2 looping envelopes, that could easily each serve as more LFOs
S&H, ring mod, pink and white analogue noise
6 channel mixer, with four analogue outs
2 portamento/lag processors
5 VCAs
Delay and Phaser and envelope detector

That's a pretty hefty collection of capabilities, with quite a few mixers built-in, plenty of CV I/O all around!

The demo left much to be desired; it was rushed and highly conventional, and neither Nick nor David seemed to be using much imagination.

The only problem with this system is that it looks conventional when it is really massively flexible; so it's all too easy to mistake it as just another mono synth in pieces.
Old 15th June 2018
Gear Nut

I've got the System 500 complete set, plus the new 555 and 505 modules. The biggest thing for me was getting a hold of the 555 utility module to add much more versatility in. I like using the noise for all kinds of sounds, plus I can make synth snare sounds now. the ring modulator is cool for making weirdo metallic percussion, and I like using the portamento as the lag generator for whatever I can plug in. And of course, having a TRUE sample and hold is super fun.
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJPdude View Post
I've got the System 500 complete set, plus the new 555 and 505 modules. The biggest thing for me was getting a hold of the 555 utility module to add much more versatility in. I like using the noise for all kinds of sounds, plus I can make synth snare sounds now. the ring modulator is cool for making weirdo metallic percussion, and I like using the portamento as the lag generator for whatever I can plug in. And of course, having a TRUE sample and hold is super fun.
You might want to look up the Wogglebug circuit, and see how close you can get to that -- one of my favorite chaos/random cv and sound generators -- and it _seems_ like at least with the 555 and an oscillator or two from the 510/512 you could get pretty close, though I don't know whether you can do the SH out as feedback back to Clock In on the 555, certainly it can't (or shouldn't!) hurt to try.
Include the portamento circuits in that as well; inclusion of those with the lag on the S&H just gets me to thinking about possible interactions between the two.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search