The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano

And it's an absolute marvel: Steingraeber E-272
Just listen from 0.44 on:
YouTube
Old 13th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
And it's an absolute marvel: Steingraeber E-272
Just listen from 0.44 on:
YouTube
IMO it sounds pretty good, it has agreeable steinway-like mids/upper and sounds very consistent through the whole range. From the one demo so far it does also sound a bit veiled and compressed for lack of a better term.
My go-to is still the Galaxy Vintage D - inconsistencies and warts and all.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

That does sound incredible!
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Maniac
The modelling has certainly vastly improved since the last time I tried a demo (must have been 6 or 7 years ago). The Steingraeber sounds the best of the instruments to my ears. I love the sound of the Fazioli F Grand 278 that I have at the moment, but it does take about 40 seconds to load from the external storage drive, so I'm definitely interested in the Pianoteq. On a connected note, Spitfire Audio have a current free 'Soft Piano' plug in which is actually quite nice for ambient style material.
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

There are so many different styles of piano available in Pianoteq; their modelling of actual pianos is quite meticulous.

Companies like Grotrian, Steingraeber and Steinway don't give their endorsements lightly.

Pianoteq is the single most successful example of the potential of physical modeling synthesis out there, and for one of the most difficult instruments to emulate in this way.
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

That is an interesting piano to emulate. There are new audio demos at the Modartt site, some of them sound very beautiful.

I love to play Pianoteq. I hear the slightly artificial tone that people criticize it for, but every iteration sounds better. I like how adjustable it is, I can always get a good sound for the mix.

I don’t like the UI design, it looks as though it was created decades ago. The long drop-down preset list is crazy making. They have a defined preset section for demo sounds they’d like you to buy, but no user preset section. My user presets are dropped into the long list of presets for each piano model. I don’t use Pianoteq live because it’s impossible to quickly call up the preset I need, and program change messages don’t work reliably. It’s a bit confusing, I would think they would court live musicians, but Modartt doesn’t seem very customer oriented. Nice that the soundpacks are reasonably priced, though.
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

Program changes work just fine and reliably over here? They are assigned per preset, and I don't recall a single instance where that has failed me.

By the way, you can organize the preset list however you want, add multiple folders (so yes, you can have only your own folders visible - in the preset manager, you have "All banks" button, but you can click on the folder button next to it to create new folders and put your own presets there, then select just the folder with your presets to be used).

And you can also click in the column headers there to sort by either preset name, or instrument, or bank. So after sorting by preset name, you just get this list, for example:

It's all very flexible in Pianoteq. Including preset management. So using the method above, you can have folders with various presets set up as setlists, and then you just assign whatever MIDI message to "Next Preset", and just go through the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
but Modartt doesn’t seem very customer oriented.

This is absolutely incorrect.
Old 18th June 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks for that chunk of information, ED, much appreciated.
Old 18th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Program changes work just fine and reliably over here? They are assigned per preset, and I don't recall a single instance where that has failed me.

By the way, you can organize the preset list however you want, add multiple folders (so yes, you can have only your own folders visible - in the preset manager, you have "All banks" button, but you can click on the folder button next to it to create new folders and put your own presets there, then select just the folder with your presets to be used).

And you can also click in the column headers there to sort by either preset name, or instrument, or bank. So after sorting by preset name, you just get this list, for example:

It's all very flexible in Pianoteq. Including preset management. So using the method above, you can have folders with various presets set up as setlists, and then you just assign whatever MIDI message to "Next Preset", and just go through the list.

This is absolutely incorrect.
Very cool. Thanks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search