The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The future of synthesizer UI...? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 13th June 2018
  #61
Lives for gear
 

(still get treated like a teenager at 50...)

your studio will be projected onto the inside of your glasses
and will be controlled by your eyeball movements.
Old 13th June 2018
  #62
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
That's 'cause the Yamaha UI was designed by a set of deranged lunatics! Seriously, someone deserves a medal for the worst of the worst. You wouldn't think it was humanly possible to make it so bad, but somehow, Yamaha did it.
Oh, I've seen worse. In the end I can usually get it to do what I want. A really bad interface is just unusable.
Old 13th June 2018
  #63
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I’m just confused as to why people decide that there’s some “line” that technology crosses that they won’t follow.
It's more like I tried it, found it sucked, and ditched it.

I live in a peaceful place. There are plenty of Amish around here.
Old 13th June 2018
  #64
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBA View Post
Remember, the key virtuouses from the 60's would sh*t themselves if they could rock out on a 90's rompler workstation instead of that clunky old hammond organ.
Maybe not. I was once in a small room with a Hammond and a Leslie and it made a big impression on me. It has Presence that is lost when you squeeze it through a microphone.

Modern keyboards have wonderful versatility, but ain't nothin' like the real thing.

I think the downfall of the Hammond was it was so darn heavy and fragile. It's just not practical.
Old 13th June 2018
  #65
Gear Addict
 
j3rk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
It’s not that the kids don’t care. It’s that we’re invisible to them. Irrelevant. Relics from a recent past. My guess is, like most people, you stopped moving forward soon after college. I’m always amazed that the people I went to high school with are still listening to the music we listened to then to the exclusion of anything new. Not that the past should be discarded. I just listened to a Sting album on vinyl with my daughter. On the way home we’ll probably listen to Moana streaming via my phone. Not controlled via its touchscreen, bit with voice commands. But she is a human of her time. Comfortable with crayons or an iPad. I’m just confused as to why people decide that there’s some “line” that technology crosses that they won’t follow. Why not just go Amish? I bet it’s a peaceful life.
These lines REALLY don't need to exist. Sure they help in defining certain properties of certain things (art, technology, etc.) that we as humans like to categorize (because we tend to like to put things into neat little subdivisions) however, they don't need to exist beyond that. I'm someone that firmly believes in the right tool for the job, the right comment for the situation, the right clothes for the situation, the right art for the mood, the right scotch for the cigar, etc. It doesn't have to be based around a time period. Pick the best parts of all of it, and use or enjoy them in the correct context for you, and your situation, and be happy. At least that's generally how I view things.

"There's Buddhism, Confucianism, and Taoist alchemy and sorcery. We take what we want and leave the rest... Just like your salad bar."

-Egg Shen
Old 13th June 2018
  #66
Lives for gear
 
robot gigante's Avatar
Reminds me of when I was starting to get into synths, I was 1000% an analog fan, but the people I worked with considered analog obsolete. Why analog, when VA replicates it perfectly, that was the line of thought. Of course, it doesn't, especially then it didn't, but I was literally laughed at for preferring it. The Andromeda got released and I showed them the promo lit for it. They literally thought it was a hoax and laughed some more. Not clueless individuals, they were pretty established. One ghostwrites for an individual that sells out festivals now. Now the attitude seems pretty silly. But it is the same damn attitude toward older tech that makes people think a touchscreen is better just because it is newer.

People tend to think of technology as a linear evolution from worse to better. But it's not. It evolves sideways and backwards as well as forward. Not every new trend is superior to what came before.
Old 13th June 2018
  #67
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I’m just confused as to why people decide that there’s some “line” that technology crosses that they won’t follow. Why not just go Amish? I bet it’s a peaceful life.
I'm confused as to why people think that they have to use anything new that is thrown at them or shoved down their throats, and I don't get why you think I should have to choose between all or nothing. It sounds rather totalitarian, so please explain if you can.

I like new technology when it's better than old for a specific purpose, and I prefer to use it for what it's good at, not for everything else. A smart phone is good for having an all in one computer in your pocket. I prefer a regular vintage cell phone for just calling and texting. That would go for using it as a camera too, if the picture quality was the same as on new phones.

The good old mouse is great for navigating on my PC, and I strongly prefer it over a touchscreen, but I wouldn't want it for stearing a fighter plane. Not a touchscreen either for that matter.

Touchscreens on synths are ok when deep menu diving is otherwise unavoidable and conciderably slower, which is rare. Not ok when used in place of realtime controllers. I also prefer assignable XY pads to not be screens.

Call me old all you want, but I think touchscreens, because of their lack of feel and physical feedback, should be used only if they alone would make something groundbreaking possible, and should otherwise be avoided on musical instruments.
Old 13th June 2018
  #68
Gear Addict
 
j3rk's Avatar
 

Agreed. It all eventually sifts down into what functions best, (unless you're Apple and ditch a certain industry standard audio jack )

First things progress for the sake of progression. Then people realize that they miss some element or element from a past iteration, because it really did work better in some or all cases. Then the next iteration may contain a bit of both, and slowly we arrive at something that contains the best of all worlds. Or at least that's how it works when we're lucky. I think Waldorf have something with the Quantum's panel. It gives the user choice to perform tasks how it works best for the individual. Hopefully we'll see further distillations, progressions, and yes, some regressions where necessary going forward with many instruments.
Old 13th June 2018
  #69
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
Absolutely untrue. I have been mistaken for a teenage on a weekly basis well into my 30's. I don't think most adults have the slightest clue how disrespectful they are to kids, what kids have to put up with from them. That's why they ignore you. I hate the music that was popular when I was growing up. It is complete garbage. Sting was kind of before my time, but the sound of his voice makes me want to vomit.

I'll say it again, touchscreens are the present, not the future, they have been around for some time. Enough time that some people have forgotten or only vaguely know what life was like without them. It's mind-boggling that old hat is considered futuristic.
Old 13th June 2018
  #70
Lives for gear
 
robot gigante's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3rk View Post
Agreed. It all eventually sifts down into what functions best, (unless you're Apple*)

.
*Fixed. Haha, fanboys are gonna hunt me down and kill me for that one.
Old 13th June 2018
  #71
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
Reminds me of when I was starting to get into synths, I was 1000% an analog fan, but the people I worked with considered analog obsolete. Why analog, when VA replicates it perfectly, that was the line of thought. Of course, it doesn't, especially then it didn't, but I was literally laughed at for preferring it. The Andromeda got released and I showed them the promo lit for it. They literally thought it was a hoax and laughed some more. Not clueless individuals, they were pretty established. One ghostwrites for an individual that sells out festivals now. Now the attitude seems pretty silly. But it is the same damn attitude toward older tech that makes people think a touchscreen is better just because it is newer.

People tend to think of technology as a linear evolution from worse to better. But it's not. It evolves sideways and backwards as well as forward. Not every new trend is superior to what came before.
You are mistaking fashion for technological progress. Analogs fell out of fashion due to their flaws. Now they're coveted due to those flaws. The synth that was the vanguard of analog's replacement, the DX7, answered a lot of people's concerns. Now analog hardware is back, but engineered to not have it's original flaws, at least to the same degree. FM hardware is... well not as back. Why? Too hard to make something with the flexibility of a DX7 in a physical interface. But, FM is going pretty strong in software, where a mouse and screen are a better solution. There's another thread where a member is talking about how he'll control is new FS1R with his iPad. I actually fumbled around FM for years until I found an iOS synth that did a great job presenting an easy to understand and use interface. One of my best friends does live audio production and he swears by his iPad. It lets him walk around the venue and correct for mix issues in a way that he could never do before.

I know you think that the touchscreen thing is a fad, but you're not really paying attention. The problem isn't in the nature of the concept, but in the early tech. It took a while to get really good, and it's still progressing. I suspect it will get better still, as things are refined. Another issue is that most UI designers don't know how to design for it. This is something I butt up against a lot. People got all happy when skeuomorphic design went out of fashion, but they failed to replace a lot of the information it provided to the user in another way. I suspect that is a fad that will end soon. I'm slowly seeing it die all the time.

I can't believe I'm actually arguing the success of the touchscreen during a time when Apple is releasing software to make their phones less desirable to use. Sorry dude. You're entitled to your opinion, but if you're looking for future vindication, you're about to be disappointed.
Old 13th June 2018
  #72
Lives for gear
 
robot gigante's Avatar
Not looking for vindication, just good tools.

I have never fumbled with FM, I took to it like a fish to water. It's not that difficult, it's just different than subtractive. The interface was never an issue for me. Software or hardware. Buttons or a mouse... whatever. Big screen or small LCD... whatever. Both have pros and cons.

Take a look at the post by the dev upthread where he talks about the difficulties of developing for a touchscreen UI. Maybe you have some solutions to his conundrums? I don't.

Touchscreens aren't going away any more than knobs or buttons of course, but they aren't future tech.
Old 13th June 2018
  #73
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBA View Post
I'm confused as to why people think that they have to use anything new that is thrown at them or shoved down their throats, and I don't get why you think I should have to choose between all or nothing. It sounds rather totalitarian, so please explain if you can.
Nothing is "forced" down anyone's throats. Apple released a phone at a time when there were plenty of other smartphones. Those smartphones sucked. My wife had tried nearly all of them. Apple won that war based on its merits and nothing else. They weren't even a phone company. You're free to buy a Blackberry, or whatever other phone you want. We're not Russia... (but we're trying!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBA View Post
I like new technology when it's better than old for a specific purpose, and I prefer to use it for what it's good at, not for everything else. A smart phone is good for having an all in one computer in your pocket. I prefer a regular vintage cell phone for just calling and texting. That would go for using it as a camera too, if the picture quality was the same as on new phones.
I had a few cell phones before I went iPhone, and one of the first things that struck me about it was that it was a better sounding phone than the Nokias I had before it. I think it's irrelevant to this topic though. One of those older phones did have a cool feature where it would butterfly open and reveal a true button qwerty keyboard. It was actually a fun way to text, but a better way to text is via voice. I'd say that 90% of my text messages are dictated to Siri. It does a good job, for the most part. Probably makes as many mistakes as I'd make typos. Maybe less. Again, I think we're confusing the type of technology for the quality of implementation of technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBA View Post
The good old mouse is great for navigating on my PC, and I strongly prefer it over a touchscreen, but I wouldn't want it for stearing a fighter plane. Not a touchscreen either for that matter.
I agree with almost all of that, but I'll also say that the interface of a Model D would equally suck as a way to pilot a fighter plane. I think the reason you'd hate a touchscreen for editing on a VST or DAW is mostly because they're not designed for that.

Recently, I taught a little class on electronic music to 3-5 year olds. People here suggested a lot of gear, but for the sake of time, I went with iMaschine on a iPad Pro. It was perfect. The kids all got it easily. They loved it and had a blast. Each kid made a sample of their voice (or anything) and it became a one-shot. Then I had them come back up and put it on the timeline to make a composition. Now, I personally prefer my first generation Maschine's rubber pads and knobs, but what I think would be even better was a Maschine with all the pads and knobs it currently has, but with a kick ass touchscreen interface as well, for the functions that don't really benefit from having a tactile nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBA View Post
Touchscreens on synths are ok when deep menu diving is otherwise unavoidable and conciderably slower, which is rare. Not ok when used in place of realtime controllers. I also prefer assignable XY pads to not be screens.

Call me old all you want, but I think touchscreens, because of their lack of feel and physical feedback, should be used only if they alone would make something groundbreaking possible, and should otherwise be avoided on musical instruments.
Well, that's exactly what I'm a proponent of. Using touchscreens when they make sense. I'm not saying that Moog should release a Sub Phatty Mk2 that's all touchscreen. Silly. I'm just saying that in a synth like the Quantum, it would be perfect. I'm not saying it is perfect though, as I've not seen its implementation yet. The Sub Phatty did have a really sh!tty interface though. Those multi-button press functions were idiotic. A small touch screen would have been a lot better way to get at those functions.

Also, touch screens can indeed have physical feedback. Apple phones all have haptic feedback. It's just often ignored or not implemented well. I think that's something that has to get better. I forget which UI element I was messing with, but I remember thinking something was done really well as when I moved a fader towards a positive vector, I got a vibration that increased in frequency and amplitude. It was subtle, but good.

I think before you call out musical instruments on not being something that can benefit from a touch screen, you should pick up TC-11 and Boarderlands for the iOS. They're great because they're not trying to recreate old style interface paradigms on a touch screen. That's mostly the problem with how things are when they're bad. What they do is create their own UI paradigm and they do it really well. I've got software synths that do everything those apps do, but I still drag my iPad into the studio because of how fun they are to manipulate.

BTW, I turned 53 in April. I don't think age really has much to do with it, though I do see people's thinking stratify in their mid 20s.
Old 13th June 2018
  #74
Lives for gear
 
robot gigante's Avatar
Thingamabobs n gadgets. I'll let Linus do the critiquing. "This is just a regular
off-the-shelf mouse" hah, it's a MX Master, which I might add, rocks.

YouTube

Is it workable to get a haptic motor to engage in say, under 3ms, perfectly synchronized with the audio signal? Now or in the future? Is sliding one's fingers on a flat surface all that ergonomic other than for macro control a la KAOSS pad?

Last edited by robot gigante; 13th June 2018 at 09:28 PM..
Old 13th June 2018
  #75
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Nothing is "forced" down anyone's throats.
They will be when they're cheap enough. Like reality TV is forced down our throat if we by accident should turn on a TV. Then we'll have to complain about it for a decade or three until maybe someone start making proper gear again. I don't think of that as progress at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
touch screens can indeed have physical feedback. Apple phones all have haptic feedback. It's just often ignored or not implemented well. I think that's something that has to get better. I forget which UI element I was messing with, but I remember thinking something was done really well as when I moved a fader towards a positive vector, I got a vibration that increased in frequency and amplitude. It was subtle, but good.
You still have to look at the screen to find the right place to put your finger(s). It's unnecassarily nerdy and clumsy. Unmusical, if you will, and timing wise it's just horrible. Likewise I prefer old school 3D knobs over a cryptic flat surface you'll have to look at or even interpret, when handling my car stereo.

About the minimoog interface in a fighter plane: I'd prefer stearing with one good minimoog knob over using a touchscreen because it would make it possible at least in theory to have some control over the plane in realtime instead of editing a crash. But that's me.
Old 13th June 2018
  #76
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
Thingamabobs n gadgets. I'll let Linus do the critiquing. "This is just a regular
off-the-shelf mouse" hah, it's a MX Master, which I might add, rocks.

YouTube

Is it workable to get a haptic motor to engage in say, under 3ms, perfectly synchronized with the audio signal? Now or in the future? Is sliding one's fingers on a flat surface all that ergonomic other than for macro control a la KAOSS pad?
...and he bases his ideas solely on a critique of an alpha product. (note: at the moment I bought my iPad Pro, I purchased the cover/keyboard accessory for it. Touch screen keyboards suck!)

What's life like when you've closed your mind off to so much? Probably easier.

My final word, is that you miss the point of the touchscreen entirely. The point isn't that it offers better tactile feedback than say a fader, but that it is infinitely configureable to be what you need as your needs change. In the instruments I mentioned, you have a playing surface one moment, and with a touch, you can be in instrument editing mode. Both interface types are accessible in the same footprint. This makes things cheaper, and therefore more mainstream and enjoyed by more people. Could it be better if the iPad had a built in keyboard and mouse? Maybe, but for the type of sound edits I do on it, it seems prefect. Imagine having to drag around a small mixing board around a venue to make adjustments.
Old 13th June 2018
  #77
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBA View Post
They will be when they're cheap enough. Like reality TV is forced down our throat if we by accident should turn on a TV. Then we'll have to complain about it for a decade or three until maybe someone start making proper gear again. I don't think of that as progress at all.



You still have to look at the screen to find the right place to put your finger(s). It's unnecassarily nerdy and clumsy. Unmusical, if you will, and timing wise it's just horrible. Likewise I prefer old school 3D knobs over a cryptic flat surface you'll have to look at or even interpret, when handling my car stereo.

About the minimoog interface in a fighter plane: I'd prefer stearing with one good minimoog knob over using a touchscreen because it would make it possible at least in theory to have some control over the plane in realtime instead of editing a crash. But that's me.
Well, get read for a life of continued disappointment.
Old 13th June 2018
  #78
Lives for gear
 
robot gigante's Avatar
No, zero it's you who doesn't get it. He's well aware that it's in alpha, and however skeptically, he looks forward to their solutions to the issues.

These are the exact same issues that have come up repeatedly in this discussion that apparently you are willing to overlook. There was a similar dual screen product that came out a while ago that tanked. Until they are solved (and how, like with the slow haptic feedback- how are they going to fix that?), these products are so-so compromises.

Infinite reconfigurability if you are willing to compromise ergonomics. The bottom line for flat interfaces is cheap cost just as you say. There is a reason for the recent resurgence of mechanical keyboards, it's not all nostalgic old folks getting fixated on those things, neither is it all people trying to be hip, and it's not all gamers looking for the best advantage either. Nope. People want the tactile feedback of a proper switch. Nothing like years and years of keyboards with cruddy switches to sell a flat surface as on par, but not all consumers are down with that any more. I doubt it will be just a trend.

I don't consider a piano keyboard and/or knobs and buttons as the ultimate interface any more than I do a touchscreen. But am not willing to ignore the ergonomic defects of such a device. Realtime tactile feedback and ergonomics will always be in demand. You know that they make buttons with tiny LCD screens on them, I bet we'll see something like that on future music products. So you have the nice feeling switch and reconfigurability. Cost? Yeah, higher probably. Worth paying for? I think so.

I should know better than to debate this with someone so fixated. Enjoy what you're using, I guess.
Old 14th June 2018
  #79
Lives for gear
 
robot gigante's Avatar
Puts me in mind of this Neil Stephenson classic. Of course it's extremely dated, and thus is more of a history lesson on GUIs, but we need history lessons, and we can learn from this as regards synth UI.

When Steve Jobs insisted on omitting all the functionality of a full keyboard to get consumers to use the mouse by only releasing a cutdown keyboard, he wasn't shoving down the mouse down consumers' throats, he used a tyranny of absence, if you will, to do it. A mouse is great, but for productivity a full keyboard with macro controls is much faster, so PC's that had full keyboards... well you know the rest.

"In the Beginning Was The Command Line" - by Neal Stephenson | Mirror Site

I consider a synth more of a productivity device than a mass-market consumer appliance. The UI for a mass market device will compromise on productivity.

As difficult as a button/slider/tiny LCD interface is to learn, once muscle memory happens, you can have the parameter edited and move on in the time that it takes to navigate to the parameter with a touchscreen, assuming the interface is laid out properly. Should we go back to this? No, but faster navigation is faster.

Old history is fascinating to me since I used Macs my entire life. Learned with and used the mouse/piano roll until maybe five or six years ago, but now I detest everything about doing it that way, same as I detest using a touchscreen. Both feel slow and clunky, and there is a separation from the experience of playing/sequencing that is mediated by these kinds of UIs. Touchscreens are the new mediated experience, to reference the Stephenson article. People like that, I get it.
Old 15th June 2018
  #80
Lives for gear
 

think the QY70/100 merits a mention here.
good functionality for such a small device, but you have to
immerse yourself in it to get there. i do find it frustrating
in that sense at a certain level, and think, how can it be
better, simpler, faster - or at least more transparent and
'intuitive'.

they hobbled it by leaving out local on/off per track/part
(can only be done by setting up a sysex command at the
beginning of a song), and it has many flaws you'd wish to
see improved - but if you're in the flow of it, you could
get something original finished quite quickly, without farting
around watching a cursor run through an arrangement a
million times. (and XG sounds are quite grim, etc etc.)

(don't know why they didn't give it a backlight when in
use with a psu either)

tablets make a awful lot of sense really. can't quite bring
myself to get one yet, but it could happen.
Old 15th June 2018
  #81
Touch-only is not the way. Knob-only is not the way. THIS is the way to interface with audio applications including synths.
Soundcraft Vistonics Demo Page

Looking forward to the days patents run out and costs get decent!
Old 15th June 2018
  #82
The future will be VR.

Still in it’s infancy but just imagine:

You put on your headset, select the room you wish to record in and your monitor preference.

Select from a variety of consoles and hybrid setups, instruments, outboard, etc.

Pretty much Propellerheads Reason in VR.
Old 15th June 2018
  #83
Gear Addict
 
j3rk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
The future will be VR.

Still in it’s infancy but just imagine:

You put on your headset, select the room you wish to record in and your monitor preference.

Select from a variety of consoles and hybrid setups, instruments, outboard, etc.

Pretty much Propellerheads Reason in VR.
No.

It sounds like fun, but it also kind of doesn't. Also, you're bound by what your headset can reproduce sound-wise. (and feel really) We'd need some kind of neural link, so I suppose when we're THAT advanced, maybe I'd reconsider.

Then instead of paying for an instrument and other gear, you're paying for a license to use a virtual likeness. I guess that's kind of how software is now, but...

Old 15th June 2018
  #84
Lives for gear
 
Arglebargle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
That's 'cause the Yamaha UI was designed by a set of deranged lunatics! Seriously, someone deserves a medal for the worst of the worst. You wouldn't think it was humanly possible to make it so bad, but somehow, Yamaha did it.
I think they named the Bad UI medal after Yamaha, due to their years of diligent effort. And I like Yamaha!
Old 15th June 2018
  #85
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg View Post
Touch-only is not the way. Knob-only is not the way. THIS is the way to interface with audio applications including synths.
I completely agree. Give me a reasonable number of fixed-function knobs and buttons, plus a dynamically reconfigured set of additional knobs and buttons. The touchscreen part isn’t critical for many types of synthesis IMHO. It’s a great way to interact with content, so rearranging parts in sequence would work well, but it’s miserable for fine control so don’t make me select loop points with a touchscreen. The two touchscreen instruments I’ve tried so far, the Kronos and Montage, have left me absolutely cold. And I’m a technophobe / neophole who carries her iPad everywhere so it’s not that I don’t appreciate the technology when used appropriately.

I’m optimistic about DSI’s approach along these lines in recent instruments. Having dedicated control clusters plus an OLED display with four soft buttons and four soft knobs? Great! Automatically switching this display to relevant controls whenever I interact with one of the dedicated sections? Awesome!

Based on watching videos, the two requests I have are (a) touch-aware potentiometers and encoders so I don’t have to actually turn them to switch sections or hold a button and turn them to show their current value, and (b) half-screen versions of each section to acknowledge that with two hands I’m occasionally going to touch two knobs at once. The stuttering back-and-forth between related screens I’ve seen in demo videos would drive me up the wall.

I’m looking forward to actually using the Prophet X interface to see if my impressions from video hold up when actually using it in practice.
Old 15th June 2018
  #86
Lives for gear
 
syntonica's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post

Recently, I taught a little class on electronic music to 3-5 year olds. People here suggested a lot of gear, but for the sake of time, I went with iMaschine on a iPad Pro. It was perfect. The kids all got it easily. They loved it and had a blast.
When I was in grade school (third or fourth grade), we spliced tape loops on reel-to-reel!

For a decent UI that's not widget per feature, I think of the ESQ1. Imagine similar with a tabbed screen and continuous controllers. Buttons could be virtual. Tired of the black or white solution for everything these days...
Old 15th June 2018
  #87
Gear Addict
 
j3rk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
When I was in grade school (third or fourth grade), we spliced tape loops on reel-to-reel!

For a decent UI that's not widget per feature, I think of the ESQ1. Imagine similar with a tabbed screen and continuous controllers. Buttons could be virtual. Tired of the black or white solution for everything these days...
Your class were ghost-splicers for Razormaid?
Old 15th June 2018
  #88
Lives for gear
 
robot gigante's Avatar
What happened with my Euphonix controllers, which have a touchscreen and buttons/knobs, is that it was far faster to navigate with the buttons on the side, rendering the touch part of it pretty much pointless, it just collected dust. A standard screen would have been fine. For navigating deep menus, a big screen with a full set of buttons to tab around is nice, very nice (unless it's like the Yamaha, illogically set up, but touch is no solution to that). I'd turn my computer screen off and mix just with the controllers. Navigating around the DAW wasn't too big of a deal. (I say was because my studio was broken into and they were stolen.) But nice switches and knobs cost more. So imho, for more inexpensive solutions, a touchscreen has its place. It is also nice that a mass market appliance like a phone or tablet can be used for control and portability. But I'd spend more for better functionality.
Old 15th June 2018
  #89
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonpanic View Post
think the QY70/100 merits a mention here.
good functionality for such a small device, but you have to
immerse yourself in it to get there. i do find it frustrating
in that sense at a certain level, and think, how can it be
better, simpler, faster - or at least more transparent and
'intuitive'.
Is this the real heart of the issue? These days people want immediate and they also want the product to make it easy to use AND easy to master. The reality is usually some balance of this. I’ve been following the tg77 whoa thread and the spirit of thread is about digging into the instrument and finding those gems. I believe this type of approach is sadly now very much the minority view. People just want the tool to give them talent. Happy to be shouted down, but it’s also interesting that many deep synths fail commercially on release and become cult like gems 10 years later. I’m thinking fs1r, tg77, z1, k5000 etc.

At the end of the day, these are all just tools. Hats off to people with talent.
Old 16th June 2018
  #90
Lives for gear
 
syntonica's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3rk View Post
Your class were ghost-splicers for Razormaid?
This would have been early to mid-70s. We were pioneers. Razormaid was just a hack, stealing our thunder.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump