The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Elektron Overbridge 2
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
This really is taking an awfully looooong time, have they abandoned OB or what..?
Version I am on feels like a stable release so far.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
I seem to remember (about 2 years ago or so ...and my timeline could be off) a job posting for a Sr. embedded C ( or Sr. C++ ..again memory) programmer position open at Elektron - almost like they lost a Sr. dev. I don't know about everyone else but "embedded" coding can be fairly tricky - not to mention the levels/facets of elektron capabilities/variations of how you do everything 100 different ways. I'm sure it would be pretty difficult to inherit the code for many of their devices. However I just don't know.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Surely they would know how hard or easy it would be before undertaking such development..?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Surely they would know how hard or easy it would be before undertaking such development..?
I would think as well. agreed. However it's kind of hard to interview for a job and let them show you all their proprietary code during the interview. It would be like walking into boobytrap(not saying it's like this - highly speculative and I think boobytrap is the wrong word here - maybe like walking into nasa when your last job was a light bulb changer (the jobs are for comparison of complications) "coder says yea I'll join! - comes in - starts working for a couple weeks - realizes it's spaghetti code (ie. everything is going everywhere) - then realizes they might not be equipped to handle the scope of the project) I am NOT saying that is what it is!!!! - it could be the most beautiful code on the planet... but I think all elektron owners know how versatile any elektron machine can get - so to have the smarts and a great foundation as a coder, then hardware, then even deeper hardware specific to audio , then have experience with an elektron is a tough thing to find - and maybe just a stretch too specific..

And that is why I come to gearslutz to meet like-minded people, musicians, and especially here - Synthlovers!

It's difficult to find experts and I think that is what elektron probably has needed to keep up to par with their expert devices and probably needs more than ever. Who knows... they could be on the cusp of something great. With a smart group like that.. I'm sure they are totally pre-pared.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I wonder if they might be waiting for MIDI 2..?

Wouldn't that have a lot to do with how it was implemented..?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:

Could be? However I haven't seen an RFC for midi 2 yet... - at least from my quick search.. regarding the compliance of the protocol...

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4696

-addended with earlier
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4695

Last edited by NY___; 1 week ago at 09:32 AM.. Reason: had to add original RFC
Old 1 week ago
It's actively being developed. Windows driver and vst has been stable for some time now. Focus is mostly Catalina now. They released a new update last week fixing some minor bugs again so it's coming along. As far as I can tell Catalina was the biggest hurdle that is keeping it in public beta for longer. Which is not very surprising seen that most software took time before Catalina was supported. Next step could be implementing project management, but they seem to be really focused on getting the drivers to be as stable as possible. Which is quite logical.

The guessing and assumptions are just that . It's pretty complex software that has to work on a wide range of systems and in a wide range of DAWs.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Get so sick of new Apple OS updates, they seem to come round way way way too often. I hadn't even got around to updating my mac pro to Mojave as high sierra seemed quite good and new enough and then Catalina is here ffs.. wish they would just stop with this crap and wait every 4 or 5 years for OS updates.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Get so sick of new Apple OS updates, they seem to come round way way way too often.
I don’t mind the frequency as you can choose to upgrade or not. What I mind is the constant and unnecessary deprecation. They go out of their way to ensure that old software stops working, but there really is no reason for that. It’s their choice to deprecate and remove that code.

I’ve been a Mac user for around 16 years but I know that if I bought a Windows machine today, software that I had 16 years ago would still work, and that pees me off that Mac isn’t the same in that way.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by idm0r View Post
It's actively being developed. Windows driver and vst has been stable for some time now. Focus is mostly Catalina now. They released a new update last week fixing some minor bugs again so it's coming along. As far as I can tell Catalina was the biggest hurdle that is keeping it in public beta for longer. Which is not very surprising seen that most software took time before Catalina was supported. Next step could be implementing project management, but they seem to be really focused on getting the drivers to be as stable as possible. Which is quite logical.

The guessing and assumptions are just that . It's pretty complex software that has to work on a wide range of systems and in a wide range of DAWs.
I think that is a sufficient answer. - seriously. ( really don't want to go into processor discussion since 64bit cpu's were released over a decade ago and Catalina "Just got to it")
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Don't think so.
The biggest challenge is the audio bus, not the control bus.
And they already have a control bus in place that allows them to send arbitrary commands. No need for midi2.

They may, of course, still want to implement midi2 for completely different reasons.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
So what's the state of things now? Had an analog rytm mk2 and sold it mainly because overbridge 2.0 was vapourware. Any news? Estimated release?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
So what's the state of things now? Had an analog rytm mk2 and sold it mainly because overbridge 2.0 was vapourware. Any news? Estimated release?
It's been working for a while and no issues with my MK1. Not sure if its all DAWs yet though.

But yeah, far from vapourware for a long time now. Just wish they'd create a stripped down version off it just to focus on streaming audio if it helps latency.
Old 4 days ago
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
It's been working for a while and no issues with my MK1. Not sure if its all DAWs yet though.

But yeah, far from vapourware for a long time now. Just wish they'd create a stripped down version off it just to focus on streaming audio if it helps latency.
Not sure if this is different from using Overbridge, but I use just the ASIO functionality without loading the actual Overbridge plugin. But of course, if you use another audio interface that won't help.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

The fact that it's working with your MK1 doesn't prove it's working correctly with an MK2.

Also, if it'a ready why are they not releasing it?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The fact that it's working with your MK1 doesn't prove it's working correctly with an MK2.

Also, if it'a ready why are they not releasing it?
There is literally no reason why it wouldn't work just as well with the mk2, it should work better as it doesn't suffer the bandwidth limitations of the mk1. The mk2 is just a few extra buttons & the ability to sample into it, not an entirely separate product.

And who knows, ask Elektron (Most likely not working across all DAWs, OS's and all products, though I've yet to see how it is working on the Digitakt), but it is working with the RYTM and doing what it is intended to do if you do wish to use it.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

FWIW, Overbridge on my MK2 Rytm and A4 was excellent. Great sound quality. Yeah the latency sucks, but it's not that bad, especially for people like myself who primarily compose with sequencers.

I'll use it again if they can get the Overbridge powered devices to respond to prog ch messages as normal.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
See my post #659 for that exact setup. Short story - its working great.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
There is literally no reason why it wouldn't work just as well with the mk2, it should work better as it doesn't suffer the bandwidth limitations of the mk1. The mk2 is just a few extra buttons & the ability to sample into it, not an entirely separate product.

And who knows, ask Elektron (Most likely not working across all DAWs, OS's and all products, though I've yet to see how it is working on the Digitakt), but it is working with the RYTM and doing what it is intended to do if you do wish to use it.
Perhaps we mean different aspects of it.
The mk2 has a different voice structure with its sample playing capabilities. So besides streaming audio, is there a working vst that controls what the mk2 does?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Perhaps we mean different aspects of it.
The mk2 has a different voice structure with its sample playing capabilities. So besides streaming audio, is there a working vst that controls what the mk2 does?
The mk1 also plays samples. Just doesn't record them. Voice structure is exactly the same on both devices.

They even share the same plugin with Overbridge, there's no distinction between mk1 & 2.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search