The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why is Waves Abbey Road Vinyl so disliked? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Why is Waves Abbey Road Vinyl so disliked?

I picked up Waves AR vinyl on sale despite the bad reaction it seemed to get on here. I feel like it’s a great in the context of my hip hop/boom bap/lofi project. It adds a nice glue, really adaptive noise, and has a nice grit to it. It also seems to round off some of the unnatural ultra-high and ultra low frequencies or something. I typically use the DJ cartirdge and table because that has the most colorization.

For those who dislike it, why? It probably would sound poor on lots of types of genres, but I feel like the plug in overall adds nice glue in the right contexts. Sounds great when interacting with my MPC2000 Akai S1000 sounds. I know Tycho uses (or used it) on his mix bus. I feel like any kind of hazy, gritty aesthetic is complimented with AR nicely.
Old 18th May 2018
I like it too
Old 23rd June 2018
I like it. I'm ultra careful what I put on my master bus. The vinyl is used on about 80% of my mixes. I don't use the noise, clicks or slow down stuff...For me, the drive, wow and flutter knobs are useful....I use the TG console button about 50% of the time.

It does what I wanted UAD ATR or any analog 2 track to do.

It doesn't bother me that no one on gearslutz likes it.
Old 23rd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwave View Post
I like it. I'm ultra careful what I put on my master bus. The vinyl is used on about 80% of my mixes. I don't use the noise, clicks or slow down stuff...For me, the drive, wow and flutter knobs are useful....I use the TG console button about 50% of the time.

It does what I wanted UAD ATR or any analog 2 track to do.

It doesn't bother me that no one on gearslutz likes it.
I like it! Similar to you, i don't use the noise and stuff, but the drive is great
Old 23rd June 2018
Lives for gear

I watched the Alan Meyerson live stream "waves master class" the other day, and Alan had a cue from Wonder Woman up and was going through which Waves plugs he used on which instruments. Since it was a Waves-sponsored thing, he skipped over any plugins from other companies on his session, but he did do a lot of A/B-ing of various orchestral elements that he used Waves stuff on. Every time the Waves plugs made stuff sound much better, even though he was using fairly gentle settings. LOTS of use of PuigTech and Kramer Tape, and I was surprised to see that he used Abbey Road Vinyl on a solo ethnic flute type of instrument. It made a nice difference in the sound, putting it "in a place" and sounding less like a dry solo instrument that wasn't a part of the underlying orchestral recording. This was cool to see. Check it out - it's at around 54 minutes into the video.

Secrets of Film Score Mixing – Masterclass with Alan Meyerson | Waves

Lots of great stuff in this video.
Old 23rd June 2018
Gear Maniac

Does anyone noticed that waves vinyl introduce some low frequency/mid distortion below hi-hats? Try to play some open 909 hihats only with vinyl on it. I'm not sure if this is expected, but I find it sounds strange.
Old 23rd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
LOTS of use of PuigTech and Kramer Tape,
Thats what I have in a chain. Fairly obvious but NLS channel strip > Fairchild > tape > vinyl. sounded heavy !

there was other things, waves pultech & tubetech eqs I like. But I distinctly did a basic 'what would happen in real life' situation and it sounded great
Old 2nd July 2018
Lives for gear

I like it too. I'm just curious though if your track gets pressed onto real vinyl then wouldn't it be too much? I guess it's designed for situations where you want the vinyl vibe but it's not gonna actually end up being released on real vinyl.
Old 2nd July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
I like it too. I'm just curious though if your track gets pressed onto real vinyl then wouldn't it be too much? I guess it's designed for situations where you want the vinyl vibe but it's not gonna actually end up being released on real vinyl.
no way, you end up with analogue power doubled = twice as good
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

I’m quite interested in this plugin myself for some Hip-Hop projects. Does this have needle drop? Is there a better alternative?
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I’m quite interested in this plugin myself for some Hip-Hop projects. Does this have needle drop? Is there a better alternative?
needle drop, as in the dooof sound if you drop a needle on to the record? off the top of my head no
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

It's by far the best emulation of vinyl that's ever been done. I think people fail to realize that there's quite a lot more to it than simply adding some clicks and crackling... there are some incredible and fairly unique sound shaping tools in that plug. It has some amazing saturation characteristics and the phase distortion settings are totally insane.

My guess is that there are crazy vinyl sample purists out there who pride themselves on spending a lot of time and money digging for samples from old records and the idea of people trying to 'fake it' with an emulation is blasphemy to them. People are very weird about these kinds of things sometimes.
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
It's by far the best emulation of vinyl that's ever been done. I think people fail to realize that there's quite a lot more to it than simply adding some clicks and crackling... there are some incredible and fairly unique sound shaping tools in that plug. It has some amazing saturation characteristics and the phase distortion settings are totally insane.
What were your impressions of Goodhertz Wow?
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, and no. I'd imagine you could probably find a sample somewhere of that sound, however.
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Does this have needle drop? Is there a better alternative?
Better alternative would be to just record an actual needle-drop.

Really easy to do, and yours would be unique.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search