The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Low End is higher than High (Top Ends)
Old 18th May 2018
  #1
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Low End is higher than High (Top Ends)

Hi guys,

First of all thanks to everyone for all responds.

I produce a track (140bpm) .

I have kick channel and 3 Sub Basslines (sub basses has different patterns to create groove)

After doing gain stating and static mixing, i'm really so happy with kick and sub basses combination and i get the rolling feel as i want. Kick and Subs are not fighting.

But !!

Low End (Kick and Sub Basses Group) is higher than Top Ends (High Frequency)


One of sub bassline causes low end becomes louder but it sits so well in the mix.

When i make quiter this sub bassline as mids and treble, i lose rolling feel of sub bassline.
When i make louder top ends (drums) , i lose rolling feel of sub bassline

Here is spectrum analyzer result about Low End and Treble.

http://i65.tinypic.com/rlx3x3.png


What do you think about it?

If Low End is higher than Top Ends , is it problem?

Thanks in advance
Old 18th May 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 
m4thlab's Avatar
 

My brain hurts
Old 18th May 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
 
DiGi_TaL's Avatar
 

Just post the didferent options as a link to soundcloud or something, discussing mix by nhmbers will not wprk
Old 18th May 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Barfunkel's Avatar
 

If I understood correctly, the problem is that your bass is too loud or your treble is too quiet?

Isn't the obvious solution just to turn the bass volume down or turn the treble volume up (headroom permitting).

It's not rocket science.
Old 18th May 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
 
monomer's Avatar
 

Quote:
If Low End is higher than Top Ends , is it problem?
Dude, screw the forum or tutorial that taught you about 'sub basses' and learn to mix with your ears.

Making music is not the same as checking a checkbox.

You mix things in a particular way to make it sound in a particular way. dB's aren't relevant. There is no right answer and your question is badly defined in the first place.
Old 18th May 2018
  #6
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
is he talking about looking at his track through a spectral analyzer..? if so stop and just use your ears..
Old 18th May 2018
  #7
Old 18th May 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 
monomer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
it's ok to have a bass heavy mix, read up on Fletcher–Munson curves and equal loudness
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletch...3Munson_curves
Bass heavy mix??
His high freqs are only 6dB lower than the bass.
If anything this mix should be ear-piercingly bright, to the point of causing pain when played on a PA.
Old 18th May 2018
  #9
Deleted User
Guest
shhhhhh. That is a State secret...this needs to be redacted!
(also Sig worthy)


Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Making music is not the same as checking a checkbox.
Old 18th May 2018
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Bass heavy mix??
His high freqs are only 6dB lower than the bass.
If anything this mix should be ear-piercingly bright, to the point of causing pain when played on a PA.
Not at -42 dB though.
Old 18th May 2018
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Bass heavy mix??
His high freqs are only 6dB lower than the bass.
If anything this mix should be ear-piercingly bright, to the point of causing pain when played on a PA.
is that 6dB lower peak or RMS? I don't know. his question; is it ok to have bass peak higher than treble? yes it is very ok.
Old 18th May 2018
  #12
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Dude, screw the forum or tutorial that taught you about 'sub basses' and learn to mix with your ears.

Making music is not the same as checking a checkbox.

You mix things in a particular way to make it sound in a particular way. dB's aren't relevant. There is no right answer and your question is badly defined in the first place.
Monomer , you are right. A commercial tutorial taught me about it - it is good if low end frequency and high end frequency's db is equal and it is good.
Old 18th May 2018
  #13
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Old 18th May 2018
  #14
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
is he talking about looking at his track through a spectral analyzer..? if so stop and just use your ears..
yes.

Here is result

http://i65.tinypic.com/rlx3x3.png
Old 18th May 2018
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchesMalone_ View Post
Monomer , you are right. A commercial tutorial taught my about it - it is good if low end frequency and high end frequency's db is equal and it is good.
Ask for your money back.

Put any track you like through a frequency analyser - The lows and highs are not equal in dB.
Old 18th May 2018
  #16
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
Ask for your money back.

Put any track you like through a frequency analyser - The lows and highs are not equal in dB.
Please check my track's spectrum result.

http://i65.tinypic.com/rlx3x3.png

Low End is higher than treble / top / high end but it sounds normal to me
Old 18th May 2018
  #17
Lives for gear
 
monomer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchesMalone_ View Post
Low End is higher than treble / top / high end but it sounds normal to me
Because it IS normal.
If all the frequencies would be at the same level the mix would have way too much high frequencies.
Old 18th May 2018
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchesMalone_ View Post
Please check my track's spectrum result.

http://i65.tinypic.com/rlx3x3.png

Low End is higher than treble / top / high end but it sounds normal to me
Yes, because it is normal. Although it looks like you're lacking mids there.

You've been totally wrong and seriously bad advice that all frequencies should be the same level.
Old 18th May 2018
  #19
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
Yes, because it is normal. Although it looks like you're lacking mids there.

You've been totally wrong and seriously bad advice that all frequencies should be the same level.
Thanks for your constructive answer.


Low end is normally some as mid

One of sub bassline causes low end becomes louder but it sits so well in the mix.

When i make quiter this sub bassline as mids and treble, i lose rolling feel of sub bassline.

I just stucked that low end is higher than treble/high ends and i thought that i do wrong something even if it sounds well.

Really i thought that treble and low should be equal for a professional sound because of some commerial tutorials
Old 18th May 2018
  #20
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Because it IS normal.
If all the frequencies would be at the same level the mix would have way too much high frequencies.
Thanks for your constructive answer.
Old 19th May 2018
  #21
Lives for gear
 
monomer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchesMalone_ View Post
Thanks for your constructive answer.
No problem!

Next lesson for you:
Put commercial music that you like into spectrum analyzer.
Look!
Old 19th May 2018
  #22
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
No problem!

Next lesson for you:
Put commercial music that you like into spectrum analyzer.
Look!
i look into spectrum analyzer for commercial music and it shows as i noticed

Here is image for it

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

as you see, low and treble (high) has same level


that's why i confused that i do sth wrong or not
Old 19th May 2018
  #23
Lives for gear
 
monomer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchesMalone_ View Post
i look into spectrum analyzer for commercial music and it shows as i noticed

Here is image for it

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting


that's why i confused that i do sth wrong or not
Wow., what kind of music is that? I'm guessing it's made for/by deaf people! There is an incredible amount of high frequency in that.

In any case, use your ears. The first rule is, if it sounds good, it is good.
Old 19th May 2018
  #24
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Wow., what kind of music is that? I'm guessing it's made for/by deaf people! There is an incredible amount of high frequency in that.

In any case, use your ears. The first rule is, if it sounds good, it is good.
It is Uplifting Trance :D :D .

Maybe i do everything well and they do crazy things? :D

Percussion causes high frequencies in that commercial one


Yes, i really take care about your word " if it sounds good, it is good " .
Old 19th May 2018
  #25
Lives for gear
 
monomer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchesMalone_ View Post
It is Uplifting Trance :D :D .

May be i do everything well and they do crazy things? :D

Percussion causes high frequencies in that commercial one


Yes, i really take care about your word " if it sounds good, it is good " .
I hope you wear ear-protection when you go to these parties, man.
Old 19th May 2018
  #26
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
I hope you wear ear-protection when you go to these parties, man.
Old 20th May 2018
  #27
Lives for gear
 
stinkyfingers's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchesMalone_ View Post
i look into spectrum analyzer for commercial music and it shows as i noticed

Here is image for it

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

as you see, low and treble (high) has same level


that's why i confused that i do sth wrong or not
What is the slope parameter on the analyzer set to ?
Old 21st May 2018
  #28
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers View Post
What is the slope parameter on the analyzer set to ?
Slope 4.50 as default.
Old 21st May 2018
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Praxisaxis's Avatar
 

Don't look at the spectrum analyser so much. Well, don't depend on it.

Everyone here is right - it depends on the sound - this is the only thing you should be worrying about. It's true though, a room can be deceptive and so that's where spectrum analysers come in, I guess. But much more useful is to take your mix and play it in a few different environments, or (even better) fix the acoustics in your room a bit.
Old 21st May 2018
  #30
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Don't look at the spectrum analyser so much. Well, don't depend on it.

Everyone here is right - it depends on the sound - this is the only thing you should be worrying about. It's true though, a room can be deceptive and so that's where spectrum analysers come in, I guess. But much more useful is to take your mix and play it in a few different environments, or (even better) fix the acoustics in your room a bit.
Thanks for advices , Praxisaxis

BTW I liked your track, it sounds so unique .
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump