The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Safe to leave CD in turntable during transport?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Safe to leave CD in turntable during transport?

Is it safe to leave a CD inside a CDJ-2000 for transport? I've heard you can damage video game consoles by moving them around with discs inside them. Is this different?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Why would you want to? It might be OK and I imagine the laser parks when the unit powers down but why take the chance? Considering the price of this device and that it's a "front-loader" for my $.02, it's not worth the risk.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

No. Take it out.

You'll be happier years later when you CDJ still operates, and conversely unhappy that your repair bill would be substantial when it fails.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjrt02 View Post
Why would you want to? It might be OK and I imagine the laser parks when the unit powers down but why take the chance? Considering the price of this device and that it's a "front-loader" for my $.02, it's not worth the risk.
Because it's a house set that will be moved around a lot by multiple people and always using Serato control CDs. I thought leaving the CDs in might reduce the risk of losing them, but the risk of damaging the decks is way more important. Thank you.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjastarstruck View Post
Because it's a house set that will be moved around a lot by multiple people and always using Serato control CDs. I thought leaving the CDs in might reduce the risk of losing them, but the risk of damaging the decks is way more important. Thank you.
If possible, make back up copies of the CD's for yourself. it takes minutes nowadays.
Old 1 week ago
I thought everything is on chips and hard disks these days.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post
If possible, make back up copies of the CD's for yourself. it takes minutes nowadays.
Yep, good call. I see that USBs work, too. Thank you
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

No, no, no and no.

I know people who left a disk in a deck just moving it from one room to another in their house and had the disk end up out of the drawer and inside the box somewhere. Lotsa fun disassembling the unit just to get it out.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
No, no, no and no.

I know people who left a disk in a deck just moving it from one room to another in their house and had the disk end up out of the drawer and inside the box somewhere. Lotsa fun disassembling the unit just to get it out.
That's more likely to happen in a multi-disc changer than a single disc tray, but it's still a good idea to remove discs before moving the device. You never know if the disc will end up getting misaligned and cause damage to the device or the disc if it's powered up in that state.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search