The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anybody here who doesn't have a home studio? Keyboard Workstations
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Anybody here who doesn't have a home studio?

Seems like everybody here has some sort of a home studio, from a two speaker setup to full blown studios..

Anybody else besides me who doesn't?

To me it makes much more sense to work with headphones/earpods when I'm at home and just mix/record vocals on local studios. For me it's just waste of time to mix anything in a bad room or record anything in a bad room..
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Nut

There's a lot of truth in your statement although not everybody has a good sounding studio nearby.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofunk View Post
Seems like everybody here has some sort of a home studio, from a two speaker setup to full blown studios..

Anybody else besides me who doesn't?

To me it makes much more sense to work with headphones/earpods when I'm at home and just mix/record vocals on local studios. For me it's just waste of time to mix anything in a bad room or record anything in a bad room..
Interesting. How much do you pay for studio time and how much do you use per year?
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

Well not exactly... my studio has me and I am my dogs butler also.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

A home studio doesn't have to be fancy...it just has to sound good. Sometimes the funkiest rooms sound the greatest. Read up on the Wallflowers album by Petty...they used Mike Campbell's garage for tracking and a bedroom for the control room.
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Nut

Headphones = ear fatigue. I'd rather mix on a pair of crap speakers than have to wear headphones for hours on end.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

Due to kids and only being able to do music when they are sleeping I've mixed ONLY on headphones for like 3 years now!
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge rutgers View Post
Headphones = ear fatigue. I'd rather mix on a pair of crap speakers than have to wear headphones for hours on end.
You may be basing that experience on closed back headphones (eg. DT-770s).. open back headphones are much more comfortable to wear for long periods as far as air pressure on your ear goes (assuming they're also physically comfortable).. although obviously they let ambient noise in so no good if you're in a noisy environment.

I use open planar-magnetic headphones (it's a mesh grid driver rather than a cone) a lot and I can hear the outside world just as well as the sounds they generate (easy to hear something and think it's coming from the real world, when it's not).. I could wear those all day no problem without fatigue.
Old 18th May 2018
Ive used dt770’s for the past 3 or 4 years...but soon that'll end. Though Im not worried about a perfect room or perfect recordings...its only for me.

Move into my new house in July...by August I hope to have this space set up as a studio/relaxo all weekendo room..kids will be asleep three floors up, gawd bless finished basements
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody here who doesn't have a home studio?-8f5765bc-6339-4831-8456-24597a99220b.jpg  
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Ive used dt770’s for the past 3 or 4 years...but soon that'll end. Though Im not worried about a perfect room or perfect recordings...its only for me.

Move into my new house in July...by August I hope to have this space set up as a studio/relaxo all weekendo room..kids will be asleep three floors up, gawd bless finished basements
Nice finished basement -- I now officially hate you.
Peace.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
gawd bless finished basements
Amen brother. The best
Old 18th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
Nice finished basement -- I now officially hate you.
Peace.
i was in two minds about posting it...its gonna be awesome...then Ill post it all the time
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Addict

Wow you ppl make me feel self conscious about the keyboard-stand-with-random-plank-of-wood synth table, rack full of cheap preamps, and broke a$$ ikea computer table with mixer on top and fx in keyboard tray in my living room.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Pete View Post
Wow you ppl make me feel self conscious about the keyboard-stand-with-random-plank-of-wood synth table, rack full of cheap preamps, and broke a$$ ikea computer table with mixer on top and fx in keyboard tray in my living room.
Function over fashion.
Old 18th May 2018
My most productive period was the side of a room in a one bedroom apartment...had a dedicated room for ages and never use it
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear
Between playing in two working bands and the occasional DJ gig, my money is spread thin. I have a simple recorder, monitors, headphones, and a mic, plus a few pedals. The rest is being used live. I don't even have a preamp at his point.

Last edited by DJRAZZ; 18th May 2018 at 07:41 PM..
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Nut

My bedroom is pitifully small but the house has a decent sized combined kitchen/lounge area. so for the last lot of mixes i did, i set up the monitors & laptop on the kitchen table when noone else was home. Checked everything with headphones and other stereos (car, friends house etc).

If i was willing to pay for mastering I'd happilyrelease the results into the wild.

As for home studios, if finances permitted I'd much rather rent time and mixdown a full album in a fully kitted out studio than stuff about with acoustics and a minimal amount of "affordable" gear.
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Pete View Post
Best synth rack i ever had was one of those cheap wooden shoe racks you can find in any discount store
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear
The sad thing is for under 5 grand I could have a dream studio. I just need 5 grand.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

I don't have a studio... yet. Just a few compact synths on a Walmart table in my upstairs office... and I only bought the table yesterday. I plug a pair of earbuds into the synth I want to play.

Once I add a mixer/audio interface and monitors, THEN I'll have a "studio". But that probably won't be until the fall.

My last setup (which I sold in 2013) I had a proper keyboard stand, but I used a cheap RadioShack mixer, a Motif XS6 as my audio interface and a mini JVC stereo as my monitors. It worked well enough for my purposes at the time.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search