The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What DAW has the best wave-based drum editing? Special Ef­fects Plugins
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

What DAW has the best wave-based drum editing?

What DAW has the best wave- or clip-based drum editing?

Particularly, the way I like to work is have my drums rendered as audio and then go on to edit hits individually. The ideal workflow would probably be that it slices the audio and then allows effects to be placed on individual slices while retaining the start positions of the slices, so that one could also time-stretch individual notes.

While this can be done in any daw by automating Insert FX / buses "relative to" the notes, then this way is not the most intuitive, because one has to automate efx bypasses and stuff.

Last edited by soundmodel; 17th May 2018 at 06:39 PM..
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

I think I could always do the editing on Soundforge and then bounce back to Reason.

But it'd be nicer if one didn't have to commit bounces.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Sounds a bit like Samplitudes object editing.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

I don't think there's a an easy way out for that kind of a workflow. Your music sounds like it's made with a tracker. Have you tried Renoise? That might suite your workflow.
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmodel View Post
What DAW has the best wave- or clip-based drum editing?

Particularly, the way I like to work is have my drums rendered as audio and then go on to edit hits individually. The ideal workflow would probably be that it slices the audio and then allows effects to be placed on individual slices while retaining the start positions of the slices, so that one could also time-stretch individual notes.

While this can be done in any daw by automating Insert FX / buses "relative to" the notes, then this way is not the most intuitive, because one has to automate efx bypasses and stuff.
One way to achieve this is to use a separate track for every slice.
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofunk View Post
I don't think there's a an easy way out for that kind of a workflow. Your music sounds like it's made with a tracker. Have you tried Renoise? That might suite your workflow.
Perhaps, but I've never bothered learning them.
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmodel View Post
Perhaps, but I've never bothered learning them.
Trackers are easy
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

Reaper has per item fx, if you’re using a Mac Logic has per clip fx.
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

I do this in Reaper using a workflow I developed in Acid. But you can do it in pretty much any DAW. I'll take a four bar loop (or whatever) and split it at the relevant transients. After the loop's been sliced, I'll create several copies of the sliced track, create a custom effects bus for each one, and delete whatever parts of the loop I don't want to be effected on each track. This way you don't have to automate anything; you "automate" manually by selecting which individual drum hits are on each bus. I find this much easier and intuitive than doing it in a single track with automation.

There are of course plugins like Glitch and Effectrix that allow you to "sequence" effects. But as far as doing it in the DAW itself, I do it as described above.
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post
I do this in Reaper using a workflow I developed in Acid. But you can do it in pretty much any DAW. I'll take a four bar loop (or whatever) and split it at the relevant transients. After the loop's been sliced, I'll create several copies of the sliced track, create a custom effects bus for each one, and delete whatever parts of the loop I don't want to be effected on each track. This way you don't have to automate anything; you "automate" manually by selecting which individual drum hits are on each bus. I find this much easier and intuitive than doing it in a single track with automation.
Good tip. I've done this sometimes, but not always instead of automating bypasses.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search