The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
external modulator MIDI Processors
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

external modulator

this may sound stupid, but can you get any hardware that can modulate a synth parameter that has a MIDI CC attached to it?

all hardware, no computers?

even something oddball that wasn't designed for this purpose.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

What kind of modulation are you looking for? Just a basic LFO?

CV -> MIDI converters are one way to do it.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Midi-Alf or midipal are quite cheap.
Octatrak has them.

I use an An1x for this purpose as it gives one channel of CC sequencing plus velocity, but it’s not smooth like an LFO, mind you with 128 values it’s not going to be that smooth anyway.

Sometimes I dedicate my 1997 Toshiba Laptop with serial midi interface to generating an LFO which is kinda perverted but cool.
Old 17th May 2018
Not stupid at all. TMK, I can’t think of a stand alone CC LFO/modulator, but there are some MIDI sequencers that have assignable CC LFOs. That would do it, right?

Oktatrack, Social Entropy Engine, and MidiALF come to mind. I’m sure there are some others. Otherwise you’re looking at other synths that will do the same, like DSI Pro2. Not very cheap options though, huh? Yeah, I use ITB MIDI modulation often. Comes in handy when you run out of LFO’s
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

sorry my wording was probably wrong. i meant modulate an already-there parameter. e.g. cut off on a synth.

the system-8 foot pedal that jacks into the back only does volume, which sucks.

so was thinking about trying to do filter sweeps via midi somehow while playing the keyboard. could you do this with a midi foot pedal? assign the cut off CC then modulate with foot?
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidizer View Post
sorry my wording was probably wrong. i meant modulate an already-there parameter. e.g. cut off on a synth.

the system-8 foot pedal that jacks into the back only does volume, which sucks.

so was thinking about trying to do filter sweeps via midi somehow while playing the keyboard. could you do this with a midi foot pedal? assign the cut off CC then modulate with foot?
Quite a few things that can do this, but can't think of any that are small, single pedal units. The Behringer FCB1010 is a classic for this type of thing, but you can do a fair bit more with it too if you can deal with the bulk. The issue you might into though is that standard midi only allows 128 values, so for something like a filter sweep there's a strong likelihood that you are going to get audible "stepping". Depending on the patch/playing style this might not be much of an issue though, or supposedly some synths have internal slewing (like portamento) to minimize the stepping effect.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search