The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hardware Summing / Outboard gear that makes a "noticeable" difference to the mix? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 29th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
Blimey. Since my last post I've been doing some more research into the Silver Bullet as so many on here recommended it and I have to say, from the tests I've watched / listened to, it sounds blumin' beautiful. You can really hear the difference that EQ makes to bring the tracks alive - even when it's subtle - and the "mojo" circuits really help gel the mix further when pushed a little. Quite remarkable, I must say.

Doesn't seem to be anywhere to buy in the UK though. Do you have to buy them direct from the 'States?
I'm UK based - the SB arrived in 2 days! Well worth the import etc.

Bear in mind you can 'emulate' a summing effect by running stems through the SB as well as the mixbus for cumulative benefits. I'm tempted to get a second SB for processing stems so I don't have to touch the mixbus :¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainyoo View Post
I used to think the analog summing was BS until I tried it. It's night and day for me. I will never go back to summing in the box. But the magic is not that it gives it an analog sound, because I already start in the analog world, but the magic is that it adds depth and width to a mix that I don't get when just summing ITB.

For reference, my OTB summing chain is:

Ableton > Burl B32 > Drawmer 1978 > Elysia Xfilter > Overstayer Saturator > Ableton
Nice chain. I'm currently:

Bitwig (Weiss DS1) > Prism > SBullet > Miad 4040 > HCL Varis > Prism.

Next bit of gear will be the Overstayer Modular Channel or DA Obsidian.

Miad 4040 LCPQ is a frighteningly good stem/mixbus EQ btw. Anyone in need of one should check that option out. Another recommendation from Paul G.

Mentioned it before, but don't underestimate how good Airwindows Channel plugins are. Exceptional summing ITB...

Last edited by b0se; 29th May 2018 at 07:36 PM..
Old 29th May 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUSEGLUE View Post
I have a hybrid studio, analog (which I have reduced to a minimum) and digital.
How big of a difference do you think those last few remaining analog bits make to your mixes overall? Do any of your source tracks ever not pass through those choice bits of kit you're hanging on to? And speaking of source tracks, what are you mixing?
Old 29th May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
How big of a difference do you think those last few remaining analog bits make to your mixes overall? Do any of your source tracks ever not pass through those choice bits of kit you're hanging on to? And speaking of source tracks, what are you mixing?
Almost always I do everything in the box ... other times I use outboard motors there is no precise rule.

You tell me about that box (that I know only through articles) that is the classic marketing tool that makes people dream "infused analog analogue mojo into your digital world" (with this I'm not saying it's a bad machine indeed it will certainly be an excellent machine that provides a particular nice tone) ... but you understand that you are looking for the magic box that is the classic solution for those who have problems in the mix and look for an easy solution that does not exist

The mix can be done very well even with daw plugins even without buying external plugins a daw like Logic or Ableton is complete with everything and allows you to make a record of success ... I would start from there spending more in knowing then later when you're arrived at a good point maybe go look for equipment.

But these are my 2 cents
With this I close and I salute you!
Old 29th May 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Almost always I do everything in the box ... other times I use outboard motors there is no precise rule.

You tell me about that box (that I know only through articles) that is the classic marketing tool that makes people dream "infused analog analogue mojo into your digital world" (with this I'm not saying it's a bad machine indeed it will certainly be an excellent machine that provides a particular nice tone) ... but you understand that you are looking for the magic box that is the classic solution for those who have problems in the mix and look for an easy solution that does not exist

The mix can be done very well even with daw plugins even without buying external plugins a daw like Logic or Ableton is complete with everything and allows you to make a record of success ... I would start from there spending more in knowing then later when you're arrived at a good point maybe go look for equipment.

But these are my 2 cents
With this I close and I salute you!
Cheers my friend, I wasn't trying to question you or anything, it was an honest question. I'm not a pro mix engineer by any means, but speaking of "infused analog mojo into your digital world," that is precisely how I'd describe my SpectraSonics amps (in addition to the 1100 summing amp, I've also got a pair of custom racked 110s). Having nice sounding sources also helps, but that's a topic for folks who mix other people's music, mostly.

Anyway, I don't have a lot of cash to build a rack full of signal processors, so I mostly use software for compression, eq, reverbs, and all that. I just find that those few key pieces of outboard gear I do have absolutely help tie together what is otherwise an all-digital setup. And I was wondering if the same was true for you.
Old 29th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post

Mentioned it before, but don't underestimate how good Airwindows Channel plugins are. Exceptional summing ITB...

I've been playing with his stuff and started supporting him on Patreon - I agree his software is wonderful!
Old 29th May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
For reference, my OTB summing chain is:

Ableton > Burl B32 > Drawmer 1978 > Elysia Xfilter > Overstayer Saturator > Ableton
What are you using to output from Ableton to the Burl?
Old 29th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
you are looking for the magic box that is the classic solution for those who have problems in the mix and look for an easy solution that does not exist
Sorry, but I don't think you've been sufficiently clued in about how this stuff works. People don't use colour boxes to "fix problems in the mix." They use them to colour things.
Old 29th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm UK based - the SB arrived in 2 days! Well worth the import etc.
Blimey. That's good service. Most things I've bought from the US have sat in customs for 4 days!

Quote:
Bear in mind you can 'emulate' a summing effect by running stems through the SB as well as the mixbus for cumulative benefits. I'm tempted to get a second SB for processing stems so I don't have to touch the mixbus :¬)
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you said there. Can you elaborate?

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt. I've taken a look now. Sounds interesting. I'll have to download the plugin and give it a try.
Old 29th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you said there. Can you elaborate?
SB isn't just for mixbus duties, you can run/print anything through it; drum bus, vocals, synths, instrument bus etc.

When you do this, there is a cumulative build up of 'analogue mojo'.
Old 29th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
SB isn't just for mixbus duties, you can run/print anything through it; drum bus, vocals, synths, instrument bus etc.

When you do this, there is a cumulative build up of 'analogue mojo'.
Yes, I've just been reading the manual. The routing possibilities for tracking and mixing are genius.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewiggler View Post
?????????????
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewiggler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
?????????????
Sorry, missed this. I’m using an Antelope Audio Orion 32+ interface and the ins and outs all go to a patchbay.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Personally I think my stuff outside of the DAW sounds less strained and open, with better low end. What do I mean by less strained, well it’s like the sound has more room to breathe. It’s hard to explain in words.

I ain’t no master engineer but I definitely hear a difference, others might disagree but I can 100 percent tell it adds something nice to my sound.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry, missed this. I’m using an Antelope Audio Orion 32+ interface and the ins and outs all go to a patchbay.
I’m totally with you about the difference from ITB to OTB.

For me it was a visit to a pro studio to make the comparison, I wanted to really hear the difference, it was night and day. I decided I was going to go completely outside the box.
I will warn anyone who decides to though, it took me a very long time to go from mixing ITB to a complete OTB mix.

Even after 5 years I’m still learning, ITB mixing is a breeze compared to mixing outside, I rely exclusively on a complete OTB mix/setup. Now mixing OTB is easier then mixing ITB plus a **** load more fun and real.

I use the DAW as my recorder at the very end, I would love to bypass this final stage also and go to tape but that’s just unrealistic
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Zulu gets excellent reviews

Check it out

I’m looking at one for tracking and mix bus because I have a tape fetish
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
I’m totally with you about the difference from ITB to OTB.

For me it was a visit to a pro studio to make the comparison, I wanted to really hear the difference, it was night and day. I decided I was going to go completely outside the box.
I will warn anyone who decides to though, it took me a very long time to go from mixing ITB to a complete OTB mix.

Even after 5 years I’m still learning, ITB mixing is a breeze compared to mixing outside, I rely exclusively on a complete OTB mix/setup. Now mixing OTB is easier then mixing ITB plus a **** load more fun and real.

I use the DAW as my recorder at the very end, I would love to bypass this final stage also and go to tape but that’s just unrealistic
tape is doable. a neumann vms or scully ls is unrealistic

we can all dream though.

i down to a compact flash recorder nowadays
dat rarely records and is just used for playback
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Summing mixers can be a bit of a pain at mix time I’ve found. They can limit some of the decisions I can make and don’t always sound better. I have plenty of outboard eq and comps that add whatever 10% of mojo I want. But, I like printing things through my summing mixer as it has pans and I can widen the image and get things like background gang vocals or a stereo synth pad to sit in the right place. I plug-in or daw hasn’t been as convincing in my experience.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston135 View Post
tape is doable. a neumann vms or scully ls is unrealistic

we can all dream though.

i down to a compact flash recorder nowadays
dat rarely records and is just used for playback
Don’t have the headspace or patience for tape. Maybe one day. I do have a very good analog tape simulator on the mix bus though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search