The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Strymon Spring reverb VS OTO Dot position #7 Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Strymon Spring reverb VS OTO Dot position #7

Can anybody compare the Strymon Spring reverb with OTO Bam dot position I think it's the 7th Dot down the column? Or maybe its the 6th Dot position? Not sure I don't speak Dot.

Also I'd like to know if anyone who has the Bam can tell me if you like the Hall reverb which I believe is Dot maybe 4 on the first column and then a second Dot like kind of diagonal to that below on the second column but like maybe two or three spots down? Shoot maybe it was the opposite, yeah.

Also I love the shimmer on the Stymon Big Sky. Can you get close to that on the BAM by like selecting one Dot on the first column while of course having the manual close at hand to dial in the second Dot somehow?

And is there a way to deselect the Dots' lights on the Bam so no Dots appear all together so you're just randomly guessing at which position a Dot would have been since you barely had any idea what the Dot positions were in the first place without having to have an incredible memory?

I love the OTO stuff so like everyone else, I really love the Dot system. I swear I'm not lying, its so much better than like, words.

I can't wait to get the Boum, I haven't heard it but I pre ordered it because everyone else who hasn't heard it said how great it was.

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Grow a set of ears, maybe?

Boum is about as simple as an interface gets by the way. Perhaps you should try it. It does sound great
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post

Grow a set of ears, maybe?

Boum is about as simple as an interface gets by the way. Perhaps you should try it. It does sound great

How did you hear it already in person?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctoad View Post
How did you hear it already in person?
I bought one, plugged it in, listened. Not rocket science?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Can anybody compare the Strymon Spring reverb with OTO Bam dot position I think it's the 7th Dot down the column? Or maybe its the 6th Dot position? Not sure I don't speak Dot.

Also I'd like to know if anyone who has the Bam can tell me if you like the Hall reverb which I believe is Dot maybe 4 on the first column and then a second Dot like kind of diagonal to that below on the second column but like maybe two or three spots down? Shoot maybe it was the opposite, yeah.

Also I love the shimmer on the Stymon Big Sky. Can you get close to that on the BAM by like selecting one Dot on the first column while of course having the manual close at hand to dial in the second Dot somehow?

And is there a way to deselect the Dots' lights on the Bam so no Dots appear all together so you're just randomly guessing at which position a Dot would have been since you barely had any idea what the Dot positions were in the first place without having to have an incredible memory?

I love the OTO stuff so like everyone else, I really love the Dot system. I swear I'm not lying, its so much better than like, words.

I can't wait to get the Boum, I haven't heard it but I pre ordered it because everyone else who hasn't heard it said how great it was.

Thanks!
Ok I guess this is sarcasm. There's no spring reverb emulation the 7th dot is primitive which is based on first digital reverb not far from BBD based delay/reverb like VSR-23 according to Denis.
I have no problem remember the dot system.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

No offense, but no digital effect sounds like a real spring reverb tank. If you want that sound buy one
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican View Post
No offense, but no digital effect sounds like a real spring reverb tank. If you want that sound buy one
Yes very true
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks!
Actually, this is quite amusing and I somewhat share the same sentiment as you, even though this came off as a somewhat juvenile. You do have to just go by ear and remember what is what unfortunately. The Oto boxes are versatile machines with a simplistic interface. That's both a good thing and a bad thing. To remedy this, my only suggestion is to keep the manual out so you can quickly look at it while using it and make the connection of what dot position is what.

It's funny because sometimes simplistic interfaces work, like on the Synthstrom Deluge. But other times, it's confusing. It would be nice to see a lcd screen or even just numbers appear in the lighted dot area to give more feedback. Like you say, even the 3rd or 4th dot can be mixed up for one another and same with the others.

Oto makes good gear, but I think this are could be improved a lot. I don't need pretty, I need intuitive. I don't think dots are intuitive either.
Old 1 week ago
If you like the spring sound, you can get a real spring reverb pedal for a pretty good price. Certainly for less than what a Strymon Big Sky or Flint costs. Carl Martin makes one, the “Headroom” for less than $300, and then there is a budget one by Danelectro called “Spring King”, and its only $150.

Somebody did a demo with an Alpha Juno.

I never much cared for a spring reverb. Had one on my modular, but it just didn’t do anything for me. I much prefer algorithmic stuff. Of note, these spring reverbs are mono output, but that is part of their charm. So if you’re looking for some wide space, this may not be it. Definitely a unique character to it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Spring reverb is the most overrated ever

that and the 80s are the most dated reverbs ever
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine View Post
Spring reverb is the most overrated ever

that and the 80s are the most dated reverbs ever
I thought "the 80's" was a decade not a reverb.

Also, your wrong.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
If you like the spring sound, you can get a real spring reverb pedal for a pretty good price.
Size matters with spring reverbs. Pedal spring reverbs don't sound nearly as good as full size ones (e.g. the reverb in a 2600 or a rack mount).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Actually, this is quite amusing and I somewhat share the same sentiment as you, even though this came off as a somewhat juvenile. You do have to just go by ear and remember what is what unfortunately. The Oto boxes are versatile machines with a simplistic interface. That's both a good thing and a bad thing. To remedy this, my only suggestion is to keep the manual out so you can quickly look at it while using it and make the connection of what dot position is what.

It's funny because sometimes simplistic interfaces work, like on the Synthstrom Deluge. But other times, it's confusing. It would be nice to see a lcd screen or even just numbers appear in the lighted dot area to give more feedback. Like you say, even the 3rd or 4th dot can be mixed up for one another and same with the others.

Oto makes good gear, but I think this are could be improved a lot. I don't need pretty, I need intuitive. I don't think dots are intuitive either.
The only time where I kind of agree with this about mixing up dots is for the algorithms, but you edit by ear not numbers. You can do something like I did on mine in the picture. The BOUM is super simple so he had probably listened to the critics, I wished it had more knobs though but I think they are all great.
Attached Thumbnails
Strymon Spring reverb VS OTO Dot position #7-20180518_061220.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search