The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha CS-80 Soft Synth (Syntronik, ME80, Arturia CS80V, what else?)
View Poll Results: What synth for Vangelis/Blade Runner fat brassy sounds?
IK Multimedia Syntronik
4 Votes - 14.81%
Memorymoon ME80
11 Votes - 40.74%
Arturia CS-80v
9 Votes - 33.33%
Other (post below)
3 Votes - 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th May 2018
Deleted User
Yamaha CS-80 Soft Synth (Syntronik, ME80, Arturia CS80V, what else?)

I'm currently reading through some older threads (that are very long) and hoped to get some quick and updated opinions. I'm interested in the Yamaha CS-80 sounds, especially those of Vangelis and his work on Blade Runner in particular. I know I'm late to the party, but I just discovered this.

I'd like some opinions on the the current soft synths for the CS-80 sound. I mainly use a Mac/Logic, but do use an iPad occasionally (love the Model D app). I do have Syntronik Deluxe (love "Temple of Analog" and "Blade Runner" is ok), but am looking for more programmability. I like the fat CS sound with the grainy edges, particularly of the filter swept brass sounds.

I'd be most helped by the reasons for your choice, thanks!

How do Syntronik, Memorymoon ME80, Arturia CS80v and any others compare?
Old 5th May 2018
Gear Maniac

I would recommend the Arturia CS80V.

All the best
gunnare
Old 5th May 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnare View Post

All the best
gunnare
Aren't you the creator of ME80? I'm reading a long thread about it right now. Why would you recommend Arturia over the ME80?
Old 6th May 2018
Memory Moon ME-80:

It's funny you started this thread just now since I just got my copy of ME-80 running a few minutes ago. After trawling through a million threads over the last few days, I found a consensus of about a half-dozen here that the ME-80 edges out Arturia's CS80V for more accurately nailing the legendary Yamaha CS80 (nevertheless, the Arturia emulation both looks and sounds great).

I finally got my copy of Memory Moon's ME-80 up and running, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed (though I've never played a CS80). For variety, I plan to get Arturia's version also someday (maybe during their Black Friday sale).

Acoustica's $99 Crossgrade:

My main rig is a 27" Core i7 iMac with 40GB of RAM running Apple Logic Pro X. But I also have a brand new all-in-one Core i5 24" touchscreen PC with 8GB of RAM that I'm not using, so I thought I'd dedicate it to running a soft-synth. Knowing that Acoustica Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio (an entry-level PC DAW) includes all three of Memory Moon's VSTs, I thought I'd get that since I don't own a PC-based DAW to host any VSTs. For Logic-owners interested in the PC-version of the Memory Moon VSTs (who don't already own a PC-based DAW):

• Find your e-mail receipt from the Apple AppStore and print-screen an image of that.
• Go to the Acoustica website and click, "Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio."
• Click on "crossgrade" at the top of the screen.
• Submit your e-mail and attach your receipt photo.

Within 24 hours, you'll get an e-mail reply with a discount code to get Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio for only $99 (normally $179), which is $1 less than buying all three VSTs directly from Memory Moon. Most other DAWs also qualify for the crossgrade.

Acoustica Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio:

Now, having the Memory Moon ME-80 edit screen (the screen that looks like the synth), full-screen on a 24" display is definitely a plus (though, I had to reduce my display-resolution to accomplish this). And not having to share the PC with my main DAW keeps things simple. However, the synth's screen-graphics aren't scalable, and the resolution is a bit low.

Though Acoustica's feature set and included content is rather impressive (and published reviews, universally pretty positive), Mixcraft suffers from a dated GUI with amateurish-looking graphical icons. Now, learning a new DAW is never pleasant, but Acoustica claims its best feature is its ease-of-use (see my updated mini-review of Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio here).

Lastly, a very nice guy, Adam Borseti, has a slew of Blade Runner-esque YouTube videos demo'ing the ME-80. I also bought a set of ME-80 patches from him for $20 (though he wasn't sure if they work with the macOS AU-version of the ME-80 or not). You can e-mail him at [email protected].
Old 6th May 2018
Lives for gear

Arminator is surprisingly good and free.
Old 6th May 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ.MacReady View Post
I saw that one, but it is 32bit/Windows and I need 64bit/OSX. I though it sounded nice and fat though!
Old 6th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle Loss View Post
I saw that one, but it is 32bit/Windows and I need 64bit/OSX. I though it sounded nice and fat though!
Interesting. I'll have to check that out. I had to load the 32-bit Windows version of Mixcraft since two of Memory Moon's soft-synths are only 32-bit (ME-80 is available in both 32- and 64-bit macOS versions).
Old 6th May 2018
Lives for gear

I've got the CS80v, which I love because of the depth of control. One knob changing seven parameters at once. Weeee! While ME80 may sound a bit more authentic, my reading of the control possibilities led me to forgo it. So far....
Old 6th May 2018
Memorymoon vs arturia moog model d?
Old 7th May 2018
Free CS80 library for Yamaha Montage:

Kind of off-topic, but kind of on, too. I've been listening KApro's EXs 009 "CS 80" sound library for the Yamaha Montage. If you have a Montage, you can download it for free here from the Yamaha MusicSoft site. It sounds pretty good! Sure, not an emulator with all the 1:1 controls, and the Montage is only an FM/sample-based synth, but the CS80 patches do sound very good.

Here's some background from KApro on the Yamaha site: "Claus Kruse of YAMAHA was so kind to give YAMAHA’s own CS-80 to Peter (aka our KApro team member Prof. Dr. Peter Jung), several years ago. Peter’s work resulted in a widely known sample-based sound library for the MOTIF XF/MOXF synthesizer series. Now, encouraged by Claus’s request, Peter created a refurbished version of the original MOTIF XF/MOXF CS-80 library tailored to the MONTAGE!"
Old 7th May 2018
Arturia version sports superior graphics:

While Memory Moon's ME-80 does sound very good, and also has a fair amount of good-sounding presets, the low-resolution synth image just isn't the prettiest thing to stare at for hours on end.

I just re-read Arturia's CS80V product description where they mention their "resizeable user interface for HD displays." So, I'll definitely be buying the Arturia CS80V version also someday. That, and especially since I'm thinking of getting an Arturia KeyStep MIDI-controller (which claims a significant degree of integration with Arturia soft-synths), so at least I'll be able to control things like cut-off and resonance right on the keyboard.
Old 8th May 2018
Deleted User
So, despite the ME80 designer recommending the Arturia (why???), I think I'm going to pickup the ME80. I've got the demo downloaded and it sounds pretty good.

Does the Arturia collection ever go on sale?
Old 9th May 2018
Quote:
So, despite the ME80 designer recommending the Arturia (why???), I think I'm going to pickup the ME80. I've got the demo downloaded and it sounds pretty good.

Does the Arturia collection ever go on sale?
I did finally get the V-Collection also. I bought an Arturia KeyLab 61 yesterday, and when I registered my new keyboard on Arturia's site, a $249 V-Collection offer popped on the screen. I don't know if everyone who buys KeyLab gets this price or not.

After playing the Arturia CS80 V, I have to conclude it sounds great. I don't necessarily care if the Memory Moon emulation is closer to the original or not. Arturia's UI and software in general is much more polished. The Arturia eco-system is quite nice as well since many of the KeyLab's knobs are pre-mapped to Arturia's synths. Also, Arturia's re-sizable high-resolution graphics allow me to size the screen perfectly and pretty much seals the deal for me in favor of the V-Collection.

For the Memory Moon VSTs, I have to change the computer's screen-resolution (which is an inconvenience), and then its graphics appear a bit ragged. But for the money ($40), it's probably still worth buying for die-hard CS80 fans. Had I known all this before, I may have skipped the Memory Moon product and been happy with just Arturia's suite.
Old 9th May 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I did finally get the V-Collection also. I bought an Arturia KeyLab 61 yesterday, and when I registered my new keyboard on Arturia's site, a $249 V-Collection offer popped on the screen. I don't know if everyone who buys KeyLab gets this price or not.

After playing the Arturia CS80 V, I have to conclude it sounds great. I don't necessarily care if the Memory Moon emulation is closer to the original or not. Arturia's UI and software in general is much more polished. The Arturia eco-system is quite nice as well since many of the KeyLab's knobs are pre-mapped to Arturia's synths. Also, Arturia's re-sizable high-resolution graphics allow me to size the screen perfectly and pretty much seals the deal for me in favor of the V-Collection.

For the Memory Moon VSTs, I have to change the computer's screen-resolution (which is an inconvenience), and then its graphics appear a bit ragged. But for the money ($40), it's probably still worth buying for die-hard CS80 fans. Had I known all this before, I may have skipped the Memory Moon product and been happy with just Arturia's suite.
Thanks for that info. I bought an Arturia Keystep yesterday, so I'll register it when it arrives and see if there is any kind of deal for me as well, although I'm afraid it will probably be more and I won't be able to get it. If not, I think the ME80 will probably get me by just fine.
Old 9th May 2018
Quote:
Thanks for that info. I bought an Arturia Keystep yesterday, so I'll register it when it arrives and see if there is any kind of deal for me as well, although I'm afraid it will probably be more and I won't be able to get it. If not, I think the ME80 will probably get me by just fine.
Good luck! I'm guessing it may work for you also. I was registering two computers simultaneously since I was unsure of Arturia's licensing process (I was able to register both my iMac and my PC). I was registering the Analog Lab 3 license on the PC on Arturia's site, and then clicked on, "buy other Arturia products," or something like that, and there was the discounted price. Note that I may have clicked that link from within Arturia's licensing app since I don't see it on the site anymore.

Don't get me wrong, the ME80 sounds great as well—it's just that Arturia's implementation is slicker, especially from within Analog Lab 3's updated interface. By the way, if you do get the V-Collection, you're going to f'ing LOVE the Arp 2600 emulation! It sounds pretty amazing. I keep playing these ME80/CS80 V/Prophet V/Arp 2600 V snippets and laying them into Logic on my iMac, and at volume, sounds weird, mysterious, and massive (with only mild bit of Logic EQ'ing).

Plus, adding polyphony to previously monophonic legacy synths (e.g., Arp 2600) is one of Arturia's most impressive feature-benefits. Also, many of the Arturia emulations allow you to considerably expand the pitch-wheel range to several octaves for some really wild sounds (e.g., emulating u-he's ZebraHZ "spinner wail" from Blade Runner 2049).
Old 14th May 2018
V-Collection Blade Runner-pad: First attempts . . .

Okay, I've been playing around a bit in Arturia V-Collection 6 trying to get that big Blade Runner-pad sound. I've been stacking two synths in Analog Lab 3 with varying success. I tried this combo, but I think I can do better. Would be interested to know about others' attempts, successes and failures:

• Jupiter-8 V "Fact 36" preset (cut-off adjusted).
• Yamaha CS-80 V "HPF Sweep" preset.

One issue I've noticed about stacking patches is that when the two patches employ different envelopes, the envelope gets "lost" (you can no longer discern it). Other caveats exist when stacking patches, I'm sure. In fact, I'm going to try tracking the two presets above separately in Logic, since individually, they sound different than when stacked from within AL3 (i.e., it sounds as if AL3 is summing some harmonics in a way I wouldn't expect or desire).

Note that UVI's Synth Anthology 2 (which I also have) allows you to stack up to four different patches. Not as flexible as VC6 (no 1:1 controls; samples vs. circuit-emulation, etc.), but SA2 has 2,500 ready-made sounds from 77 legacy and modern synths, all of which sound pretty good and fat. I've made some pretty good basses in SA2 by stacking up to four presets that pretty much pwns everything else I own, hardware or software. Gonna try doing this in SA2 next . . .

Old 14th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Was there supposed to be some audio attached under your post maybe ?
Old 14th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Was there supposed to be some audio attached under your post maybe ?
Sorry, no, but I should have! Definitely! I don't know how to embed a single SoundCloud track. I'll try and figure it out and post some samples. I linked a sound in another thread, but it was a full-resolution +10MB .WAV coming from my outside hosting company, so bandwidth charges could apply.
Old 14th May 2018
This is not that patch—just experimenting:

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/425662818&color=%23ff5500&auto_play=true&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&show_teaser=true&visual=true"></iframe>
Old 14th May 2018
Yeah, I don't know how to embed single SoundCloud sound-files. That was a total fail—can't even edit that post anymore [mods: delete above post if possible].
Old 14th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry, no, but I should have! Definitely! I don't know how to embed a single SoundCloud track. I'll try and figure it out and post some samples. I linked a sound in another thread, but it was a full-resolution +10MB .WAV coming from my outside hosting company, so bandwidth charges could apply.
You can also attach AAC m4a and mp3 files here on the forum.
Soundcloud mp3 compression is pretty bad quality.
Old 14th May 2018
Lives for gear

You just put SOUNDCLOUD tags around the link to the track, or "Go Advanced" and click the soundcloud icon to have them appear
Old 14th May 2018
I tried that. Ohhh . . . you don't see it in preview. Only when you post! Thanks!
Old 14th May 2018
Gear Head

Seriously. The ME80. 10/10.

It's so f*kn good. You'd think that because it's cheap, that it couldn't possibly be better than Arturia's expensive plugin. But you'd be wrong.

If you want a pain in the head go for Arturia. If you want to experience the most flexible instrument in the world... go ME80. It's a delight.

Does it really sound and play like a Yamaha CS-80??? I've never touched one or even come across a real one in my life. But I can actually imagine the real thing being a disappointment after ME80... it's that good

Change my mind:

-Skrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnare View Post

All the best
gunnare
What is this lol. Is Gunnare trolling? ME80 all the way man.
Old 14th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
For the Memory Moon VSTs, I have to change the computer's screen-resolution (which is an inconvenience), and then its graphics appear a bit ragged.
You do know that there is also a BIG version of ME-80? It's a separate plugin, and is listed in the e-mail you get after purchasing for download... It looks perfectly fine:

Old 15th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You do know that there is also a BIG version of ME-80? It's a separate plugin, and is listed in the e-mail you get after purchasing for download... It looks perfectly fine:

Aw crap! That looks great! I got all the Memory Moon plug-ins via the Acoutica Mixcraft DAW bundle. I guess I don't get the big ME80 if you didn't buy directly from Memory Moon? Or, wait, is that the plug-in called "ME80?" My VST folder has two ME80 plug-ins: "ME80" and ME80 Version 2." I've only been using the "ME-80 Version 2" plug-in, thinking that was the newer version. Have to check as soon as I get home!
Old 15th May 2018
Gear Head
Quote:

Okay, I've been playing around a bit in Arturia V-Collection 6 trying to get that big Blade Runner-pad sound. I've been stacking two synths in Analog Lab 3 with varying success. I tried this combo, but I think I can do better. Would be interested to know about others' attempts, successes and failures:

• Jupiter-8 V "Fact 36" preset (cut-off adjusted).
• Yamaha CS-80 V "HPF Sweep" preset.
I have a number of "Blade runner" presets for the CS80V. One came from here:

Free Arturia CS-80v Preset Nails Iconic ‘Blade Runner Blues’ Sound – Synthtopia

and the other was a soundset I purchased from Arturia, which is the Vangelis Tribute on this page:

https://www.arturia.com/analoglab/sounds

I liked grabbing those to see where the synth was setup as and then tweaked as needed for what I was looking for.
Old 15th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by iguano View Post
I have a number of "Blade runner" presets for the CS80V . . .
Awesome! I'll check those out—thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguano View Post
I liked grabbing those to see where the synth was setup as and then tweaked as needed for what I was looking for.
Exactly! That's half the reason I bought the V-Collection—to brush up on my synthesis skills.
Old 15th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post

I checked my Memory Moon VSTs: The "ME80" is the first version. "ME80 Version 2" is the current version, v2.4. What screen resolution are you using? I'm set at 1920 x 1080 on a 24" PC, but have to adjust Windows' custom-scaling on the display to 175%:

Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ.MacReady View Post

tried Arminator but found it quite confusing.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search