The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MFB - Tanzbar 2 Analog Drum Machine
Old 4th May 2018
  #1
Lives for gear
 
DiGi_TaL's Avatar
 

MFB - Tanzbar 2 Analog Drum Machine

MFB just published this:

Old 4th May 2018
  #2
Im going to have to logout...its all getting a bit much
Old 5th May 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
 
DiGi_TaL's Avatar
 

Old 5th May 2018
  #4
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Beautiful looking machine, love the blue n white livery.. Like the sound and features, my TR8S is sold I've kept the Digitakt as my only drum machine now but can see maybe getting something like this down the track, has a more raw and less refined sound which is nice. Hard for me to really justify a drum machine when 90% of the drums I use are coming from software and samples, they just sound right the way you want them in a DAW.
Old 5th May 2018
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

OLED mod possible?
Old 5th May 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 
time_zone's Avatar
 

Regardless of the additional features in the new version, strangely enough I think the original one is way classier.

Old 5th May 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
Regardless of the additional features in the new version, strangely enough I think the original one is way classier.

I think they are different enough to justify having them both. I'm not going to sell my Tanzbär 1 for this.
Old 5th May 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Looks nice - very close to the Jomox Alpha Base, isn't it?
Old 5th May 2018
  #9
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasni1 View Post
Looks nice - very close to the Jomox Alpha Base, isn't it?


in what way..??
Old 5th May 2018
  #10
Theyre both drum machines
Old 5th May 2018
  #11
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Look forward to seeing the plugin for loading drum samples, if it's good as I hope I will buy one of these and probably even dump my Digitakt too, just ride this one cool blue drum machine.
Old 5th May 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Acid Mitch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasni1 View Post
Looks nice - very close to the Jomox Alpha Base, isn't it?
MFB have been making drum machines that look like that for more than a decade.
It just looks like a bigger 502 or something.
Old 5th May 2018
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
in what way..??
Featurewise? Analogue sources, samples, on-board FM synth...
Old 5th May 2018
  #14
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasni1 View Post
Featurewise? Analogue sources, samples, on-board FM synth...
ok my bad I thought he meant it looked like an Alpha base..crossed wires..
Old 5th May 2018
  #15
Lives for gear
 
John Difool's Avatar
 

980€, expected delivery 3 months
Old 7th May 2018
  #16
Deleted b598644
Guest
is it me or is that kickdrum nothing more than a sweeped tone?

PS : such a shame they discontinued the MFB Synth II!
I had one years ago but i sold it 3 oscillators and a sequencer.

In the current monosynth trend that would have sold like hotcakes if it was about 399 euro.

Old 7th May 2018
  #17
Lives for gear
 
rids's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasni1 View Post
Featurewise? Analogue sources, samples, on-board FM synth...
Didn't realize this had an FM synth too. Definitely looks like a fun box and sounds good.
Old 8th May 2018
  #18
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
I'm 95% deffo down for this machine, love the profile, the colour scheme is amazing, you can see all the fonts so clearly which is a huge thing for me. As much as I enjoyed the TR8S selling it wasn't hard to do. This machine will sit on top of my Virus perfectly, just want to see the plug in now and how it all works to make a final decision.
Old 8th May 2018
  #19
Lives for gear
 
rids's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasni1 View Post
Featurewise? Analogue sources, samples, on-board FM synth...
The Alpha Base I think has many more parameter tweaking possibilities than this. I wouldn't compare them because the Alpha Base in my mind is the pinnacle of modern drum machines. I'd put the Tempest at the #2 slot. But this Tanzbar 2 still looks like a great drum machine.
Old 8th May 2018
  #20
Couldn't find a list of features on MFB's Tanzbar 2, but saw this summary from a CDM article last week:

MFB have a killer live drum machine + synth in the hybrid Tanzbar-2 - CDM Create Digital Music
  • A built-in bass synth that sounds totally brilliant, with internal melodic programming
  • Analog drum parts, plus digital drum parts (hey, it worked for the 909)
  • Sample loading, via MIDI dump or over USB, so you can load your own samples
  • Tons of front panel parameters for hands-on control of both the analog and digital sections’ parts
  • Dedicated faders for all the parts’ volumes
  • Two additional parameters for each part (accessed by the screen)
  • An LFO you can route to absolutely anything
  • Step sequencer, with per-step parameter automation
  • Separate outs for each part
Old 8th May 2018
  #21
Lives for gear
 
rids's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I'm 95% deffo down for this machine, love the profile, the colour scheme is amazing, you can see all the fonts so clearly which is a huge thing for me. As much as I enjoyed the TR8S selling it wasn't hard to do. This machine will sit on top of my Virus perfectly, just want to see the plug in now and how it all works to make a final decision.
As cool as this drum machine is, I just dig the sound and feel of the Jomox Alpha Base and would have to put my money there first. But if I didn't have enough to spend on the AB, this would be high on the list for sure.

Great point about the fonts. I'm not completely into the blue color. Doesn't look that classy to me, but whatever. It's a fun throwback color for MFB.

The Tanzbar 2 seems really well thought out
Old 8th May 2018
  #22
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwood View Post
Couldn't find a list of features on MFB's Tanzbar 2, but saw this summary from a CDM article last week:

MFB have a killer live drum machine + synth in the hybrid Tanzbar-2 - CDM Create Digital Music
  • A built-in bass synth that sounds totally brilliant, with internal melodic programming
  • Analog drum parts, plus digital drum parts (hey, it worked for the 909)
  • Sample loading, via MIDI dump or over USB, so you can load your own samples
  • Tons of front panel parameters for hands-on control of both the analog and digital sections’ parts
  • Dedicated faders for all the parts’ volumes
  • Two additional parameters for each part (accessed by the screen)
  • An LFO you can route to absolutely anything
  • Step sequencer, with per-step parameter automation
  • Separate outs for each part
I also went looking for specs and they don't have anything up on their website yet thanks for sharing this in the interim. I'm interested to understand and know the sample part, like is it loaded into RAM and how much is there to use, is there adequate HD storage on the machine itself etc..
Old 8th May 2018
  #23
Lives for gear
 

I'm sticking with the original Tanzbar, but this new one is cool.
Old 9th May 2018
  #24
Gear Maniac
 

when is the "release date" on the stores?? Im going to Vienna on June, wish I could test it there.... Anyone knows the date?
Old 9th May 2018
  #25
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weile View Post
when is the "release date" on the stores?? Im going to Vienna on June, wish I could test it there.... Anyone knows the date?
no specific date as such, they just said summer 2018, so that could be June, July or august..
Old 9th May 2018
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
no specific date as such, they just said summer 2018, so that could be June, July or august..
Well, at least weather-wise, here in Northern Europe these past few years summer's extended well into September
Old 9th May 2018
  #27
Gear Maniac
 

I bet its a fiddly and quirky thing to get used to.

Im sticking with my SP1200 'dream'
Old 9th May 2018
  #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasni1 View Post
Well, at least weather-wise, here in Northern Europe these past few years summer's extended well into September
In the UK, summer is usually a day or two in May ;-)
Old 9th May 2018
  #29
Deleted 1c8d41a
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
Regardless of the additional features in the new version, strangely enough I think the original one is way classier.

Blue with blue wood?
Old 11th May 2018
  #30
Gear Maniac
 

Is it possible to modulate Tanzbar1 or Tanzbar2 oscillators from external modules??? (Exemple: use FM synths to change Tanzbar kick waves....or use waveshapers to modify Tanzbar snare tones... or use Synth Track from Tanzbar as soundsource to a modular rack).
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear